Sign in with
Your question

Ricoh CDRW Drive - Opinion needed

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 7, 2001 4:20:58 AM

Hi. I am looking to install a CDRW burner in my new PC and I have my eye on the Ricoh 7125A. Has anyone got one of these or used one and have an opinion. It is priced at $369 here in Perth, West Australia which is pretty good (I think). I will not be using it for mass burning of mp3's onto CD. It will be mainly for transferring digital photos to CD as a means of storage.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Tasman
June 12, 2001 4:56:12 AM

i just got one on special for $339 (melbourne, australia)
havnt tested it yet... will get back to u soon :) 
but from all reports the ricoh line is pretty reliable...
and u just ahve to love the justlink :) 

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!
June 12, 2001 3:18:11 PM

Justlink?

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
Related resources
June 12, 2001 11:35:42 PM

Well i just love the plextor 16x10x32x 7125A
burnt 2 cd's yesterday... pretty easy, just haveto work with unfamiliar software.

got a bunch of wav files and made a perfect audio cd (time taken 9 mins including foolin around)
then i got my windows 2000 pro CD and made another perfect backup... with hard disk image first.
a reccomended product.

The most suprising thing was it was quiet, and the CD's came out feeling meerly warm, not burning hot like the old 4 speed i used once.

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!
June 12, 2001 11:37:39 PM

Justlink is like burn-proof.
it detects approaching buffer underruns and halts burning... but the main differance is that the size of the gap created is much smaller 2-4 micron compared to 30 micron (or so the documentation says)

June 13, 2001 2:24:24 PM

Ok, that's what I figured

I've always thought it strange that we make such a big deal over something a few microns (or a fraction of a micron) big, when that's only a percentage of a percent the width of a human hair...

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 14, 2001 2:26:18 AM

Maybe a micrometer (used to be called a 'micron') is not a big deal to YOU, but to a cd-rom with a wavelength of 780 nanometers reading pits that are 1 - 3 micrometers long, it can be.
From what I've read, Burn Proof on 12x cd-rw drives can leave a gap of 40-45 micrometers, and the newer burn proof in 16x drives leaves about 2-5 micrometers. Just-Link leaves less than a 2 micrometer gap.
40-45 micrometers IS enough to *possibly* cause an error, however, I haven't heard anyone in here complaining about their 12x plextor drives making junk cds, so I'm led to believe that any of these technologies will do, however, I'd go for a 16x burn proof, or any speed just-link, just to be safe.
It's amazing what you can learn by spending 15 minutes with a search engine!
!