Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 2500k vs i3570k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Cooling
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 4, 2012 6:47:25 AM

I know this question have been asked a lot of times but I need one clear answer for these questions:

1) What is the max overclocking of this cpu?
2) Which one is heating more?
3) I heard that you need water cooler if you overclocking at max. Is it true? If i use simple cooler (that is in the box when you buying the cpu) how much i can overclock? Which one is better if i use the simple cooler?
4) By overclocking do i need more power supply?

More about : 2500k i3570k

September 4, 2012 7:21:46 AM

I can answer all of your questions!! I just got a 3570k, and I've tested it on two motherboards, with and without liquid cooling.

1) With the stock cooler, I am able to push it to 3.9 Mhz, so a .5 Mhz increase, while forcing the voltage to stay at 1V, and it is stable, pretty much. It works for operating, prime95 crashed once, and worked once for a while. This time I'm about the same temps, 72C max, 65 or so median.

I would say max I could imagine going would be 5.0 with good liquid cooling, but I bet people go higher with supercooled liquid.

2) I don't know about heat, but with my 4.6Mhz overclock, I scored a 7.5 in Cinebench 11.5, which is pretty good. It easily beat out the highest 2500k that I saw on their lists, even i7-2500k's. Like I said, this is with liquid cooling, pushing about 60C on average during full load. Look online for heat values of each one, if you're worried about heat. Not to be mean, but it sounds like you have a lot of reading to do to successfully overclock, so maybe you shouldn't worry too much about pushing the limits of your CPU heat-wise right now. It really is very complicated. Please, do it if you want to, but be safe, and never touch your components while they're in use.

3) With liquid, a Antec Kuhler H620, and aftermarket MX-2 thermal paste, I got up to 4.6 Mhz stable, with a max C of 70 and a median of about 60 in Prime95 for 4 hours. With the stock cooler, you would have to reference Tom's Hardware reviews. You can also do a google search. Each CPU has a different good temp. I hear the max temp you want on a 3570k is about 75C, but it is rated all the way to like 105C. So 75 is pretty safe.

4) No, you shouldn't. Overclocking will up your voltage slightly if there are power adjusment settings in your BIOS, but your CPU shouldn't overwattage itself for more than it does now. You will see heat increase, but not total wattage usage. I've never seen mine use more than 50W.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 8:03:39 AM

Borochadwicsays said:
I can answer all of your questions!! I just got a 3570k, and I've tested it on two motherboards, with and without liquid cooling.

1) With the stock cooler, I am able to push it to 3.9 Mhz, so a .5 Mhz increase, while forcing the voltage to stay at 1V, and it is stable, pretty much. It works for operating, prime95 crashed once, and worked once for a while. This time I'm about the same temps, 72C max, 65 or so median.

*GHZ.
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 8:08:02 AM

Xoemab said:
I know this question have been asked a lot of times but I need one clear answer for these questions:

1) What is the max overclocking of this cpu?
2) Which one is heating more?
3) I heard that you need water cooler if you overclocking at max. Is it true? If i use simple cooler (that is in the box when you buying the cpu) how much i can overclock? Which one is better if i use the simple cooler?
4) By overclocking do i need more power supply?

1. Depends on the board, CPU, and cooling. Remember, not every CPU is the same!
2. Ivybridge is hotter because Intel decided to use thermal paste under the IHS.
3. Again, refer to the 1st post. This really depends on the CPU, because not every single one is the same. Actual watercooling will allow you to pump more voltage, not the closed loops like the corsair H100 for an exmaple.
4. Yes, when overclocked a CPU will draw more power, again this depends.
September 5, 2012 4:34:01 AM

I have a question regarding 2500k v. i3570k

I plan on building a new PC.

I can get the 2500k for $10 less. This will be a gaming PC. My first game will be Skyrim.

Asus P8 Z77 mobo.
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD
Nvidia 660 Ti

Should I buy the 2500k and get a better overclock, or should I go for Ivy Bridge? I don't need to max out the overclock. 4.5 is fine.

I know that the stock cooler is good for the 2500k.

Because this is simply a gaming machine, should I bother with IB now? I can always upgrade in a couple years to a i7 3770k much cheaper.

Thoughts?

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 4:36:00 AM

Just get the 2500K, there won't be any difference in gaming.

1. Don't overclock with the stock.
2. Start another thread and don't jack anyone's thread!
September 5, 2012 4:55:10 AM

amuffin said:
Just get the 2500K, there won't be any difference in gaming.

1. Don't overclock with the stock.
2. Start another thread and don't jack anyone's thread!



This is a 2500k v. i3570k thread, so I didn't think I was jacking anything.

Thanks for the advice. I will go with the 2500k and a good cooler.
September 5, 2012 5:33:38 AM

Something worth mentioning is that the 2500k only supports up to 1333mhz of ram while the 3570k can go up to 1600.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 5:37:05 AM

That's not true.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 5:45:11 AM

Nope!

Those CPU's support speeds that are much higher than 1333mhz/1600mhz, not that they increase any performance in anyway.....
September 5, 2012 5:46:31 AM

amuffin said:
Nope!

Those CPU's support speeds that are much higher than 1333mhz/1600mhz, not that they increase any performance in anyway.....


Then why does it say otherwise? O_O

And having increased mhz in ram does increase performance slightly.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 5:48:14 AM

amuffin said:
Nope!

Those CPU's support speeds that are much higher than 1333mhz/1600mhz, not that they increase any performance in anyway.....


Not sure if you saw it or not, but I had a mini-argument about that with someone earlier to day. They swore up, down and sideways that a Sandy Bridge CPU (specifically an i3) wouldn't work with 1600 RAM and that the only reason my 2500K did was because it was unlocked, lol.
!