7950 and Windows usage?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2012 6:39:50 PM

Hey all.
So I've been watching GPU-Z while just messing around in win7, doing trival things like dragging a window around, re-sizing, web surfing etc.. and I see that such small activities cause my GPU to run at max speeds. Completely idle, I see my gpu at 300mhz core and 150mhz memory. However the simple act of moving chrome/a window around or even scrolling down a webpage and the speeds jump to 900mhz core 1250 ram.

Is it normal for windows to use a gpu like that? I've tried with aero on and off, doesn't seem to make a difference other than memory usage, 63mb in win basic, over 120mb for aero. Seems kind of weird that a web browser needs such a modern gpu to be at max frequency

System:
AMD 975 @ 4ghz
8gb DDR1600
Sabertooth 990FX mobo
Win7 64bit home prem
Sapphire 7950 OC edition Cat 12.2

More about : 7950 windows usage

a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 7:16:30 PM

Yes it is quite normal for your GPU to run max when using browsers. Most if not all browsers use GPU power to render the pages (if not the full page at least partially).

This includes flash as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 8:06:17 PM

When I get home tonight I will download GPU Z and test it out as well, i'll let you know the results (I also have the 7950 as per my sig).
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 12:31:29 AM

Chainzsaw said:
When I get home tonight I will download GPU Z and test it out as well, i'll let you know the results (I also have the 7950 as per my sig).

Cool thanks.

Also I noticed something odd in my GPUZ, that I guess I never noticed before.

Under buss interface it says PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x1 1.1
when i use the render test to knock it up into full speed, it only changes to 3.0 x 16 @ x1 2.0

Shouldn't it be 16 @ x16 2.0?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 1:56:52 AM

Alright I just tested it out - I opened up a web page with flash content and moved it around, while watching GPU Z my gpu clocks shot up to full speed. However doing that with toms website - the load was not much, but still noticeable (btw i tested this on Waterfox 10.0.2).

I also checked out the bus interface - and mine behaves exactly the same as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with some kind of automatic power saving (if the gpu is not under load, reverts to slower speed to save energy).

Basically everything looks quite normal.
m
l
!