Sign in with
Your question

New build with eye on the future...

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2012 5:45:47 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: want to start now, complete by june 20th or sooner

Budget Range:800 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Diablo 3, Civ V, AvP and fallout 4* in the future and other good games as well as old old games such as star wars rebellion, fallout 1 and 2, AoE and other such games, burning dvds and internet

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference but I love free shipping!

Parts Preferences: Something that hopefully* amd or intel will still be using the same socket for an upgraded processor in about 2 years.
Video Card of 2 gb is what I would like so cfx or sli will be good in a year or 2 as an upgrade:
Thinking a nice Radeon HD 6950@2 gb or
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63118&vpn=HD687XCNFC&m...

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not to start

Monitor Resolution: 1600x is fine for desktop. But i would like 2560 for games within reason.

Comments:
I am looking to build a new computer. I have taken a hiatus from gaming for the last 6 years from my comp(been using my PS3). My old computer is too old to update to play today's games(socket 939 with a dead video card and ddr2 ram).

So New build for me that I want to purchase by mid June but would like to start purchasing ASAP. And the 2 requirements I have are A) has to be able to play Diablo 3 with max settings at max resolution and B) upgradable to play fallout 4 on max settings with an upgrade of processor and video card or adding cfx or sli card.

I know we do not know the settings of the newest fallout that is less than 2 years away, but I think with a current budget of 800 bucks for the initial build that only needs to be able to add a video card and/or processor should not be too much to ask for.

Oh, I would like a 2 gb video card. I think something like a 6870@2gb would be great to start and in a year or so that card would be 150 bucks or less and would make a great cfx combo for 2014 I would "guess". I personally would be surprised if 4+ gigs on video cards would still not rock games in 2 years.

I have a keyboard, i won't include the cost of mouse or monitor on this but am looking for a new monitor. I would take recommendations about monitors, but more concerned about the tower for around 800 after rebates.

*nothing is for sure in the computer era other than things change at an accelerated rate. But best educated guess to hopefully achieve these goals.

Thanks Guys!

More about : build eye future

May 17, 2012 6:42:41 AM

I would get the Radeon 7850 as it performs better.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 7:40:58 AM

Get the Sapphire if you want to OC your GPU. Otherwise, the HIS is fine.
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:25:38 AM

MrMikeAZ said:
Parts Preferences: Something that hopefully* amd or intel will still be using the same socket for an upgraded processor in about 2 years.

Some CPU/mobo advice:

Intel definitely won't be using socket 1155 for future CPUs. And with Intel's lead in the desktop CPU market I wouldn't recommend an AMD desktop processor right now.

Since you don't want overclocking, an H77-based motherboard should fit all your needs. Again, since no overclocking I'd get an Ivy Bridge CPU since they are better clock for clock and support PCI 3.0 just in case you need it for sli/xfiring something heavy. Go for whatever you can afford in the i5 model lineup. Oh and even though you aren't overclocking, seriously get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler. I just tested out a i7-3770k at stock with the boxed cooler and temps were ridiculously high. A $30 cooler keeps temps down and potentially lengthens your CPU's life. The stock cooler is also very loud.
m
l
!