KingCrump3t

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hello, i'm a n00b to tom's hardware. I have a budget of building a mid end gaming pc... i have 2 big options.
I can either buy a phenom II x4 965 with a sapphire 6870, which is the cheaper of the two options. Or for £50, a 2500k with a 6850. I am interested in playing games like Arma 2, diablo 3, starcraft 2, Guild wars 2 and upcoming games like crysis 3. I am fully aware that many people say the 2500k is better, but which system will be better for gaming on the games i have specified. Thanks, Jack.

Solution
It sounds as if you are looking at 2 pre-built or "barebones" kits. Why not select all the components yourself?

I really suggest that you don't settle for an AMD processor for gaming. In the long run, the Intel will serve you much better. Even if you can a graphics card a step up with an AMD chip, it's a hell of a lot easier to upgrade your graphics card later on than your CPU, so you should try to get the best CPU you can (2500k/3570k for gaming) on the initial purchase.

I would recommend getting a Radeon 7770 graphics card instead of a 6850. It has about the same performance (+/-5% max.) for about the same price but is newer tech and uses less power.

What is your overall budget for the gaming rig?

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
It sounds as if you are looking at 2 pre-built or "barebones" kits. Why not select all the components yourself?

I really suggest that you don't settle for an AMD processor for gaming. In the long run, the Intel will serve you much better. Even if you can a graphics card a step up with an AMD chip, it's a hell of a lot easier to upgrade your graphics card later on than your CPU, so you should try to get the best CPU you can (2500k/3570k for gaming) on the initial purchase.

I would recommend getting a Radeon 7770 graphics card instead of a 6850. It has about the same performance (+/-5% max.) for about the same price but is newer tech and uses less power.

What is your overall budget for the gaming rig?

Solution

aokigahara

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I'd say that the i5 is a much better option. AMD might be a lot cheaper, but that's because they aren't as advanced as Intel. Like said above, switching your GPU is a lot easier then switching your CPU down the road.

So you might not get all the eye-candy in the beginning with a slightly lower GPU, but the CPU will always pay off.

i5 it is.

cybergeek55

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Like others here have suggested, I seriously suggest you build your own PC including an INTEL processor. I say this from my personal experience, in the longer run whether its for gaming or general usage. Intel is better.
cpu holder