First Time builder, thoughts and suggestions needed

Providing the Newegg.com information, but prices could be from newegg or microcenter...

CPU-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

MoBo-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

GPU-GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419

PSU-Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply $38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

HD-Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148321

Case-NZXT Source 220 CA-SO220-01 Black Steel / Aluminum-like finish ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146083

DVD-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204


Grand Total Be4 taxes/shipping: $838

Wouldn't mind chipping off some money off this build, but I don't plan on buying it all at once so it really doesn't matter. Like I said, this is my first build ever, so if i made some blatant mistake, please forgive me.
8 answers Last reply
More about first time builder thoughts suggestions needed
  1. From the looks of it, no mistakes!
  2. Not sure about MoBos

    Im either looking at

    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard for $130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

    or

    ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard for $60(when I buy this with the processor i was looking at)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157306

    I don't know enough about motherboards to know if the difference will be noticeable...
  3. Are you planning to overclock? You can get almost identical gaming performance with a i5 3450 ($175) and decent H77 board ($100).

    Are you planning dual graphics cards any time soon? If not, get an Antec VP450 from Amazon ($35). It's a quality PSU with more than enough power for a HD7850 and overclocked i5.
  4. 1. what is this build for...

    2. why are you copying me? lol jk
  5. Zero_ said:
    Are you planning to overclock? You can get almost identical gaming performance with a i5 3450 ($175) and decent H77 board ($100).

    Are you planning dual graphics cards any time soon? If not, get an Antec VP450 from Amazon ($35). It's a quality PSU with more than enough power for a HD7850 and overclocked i5.


    Thanks for the reply!

    I don't plan on overclocking....as I said, i'm brand new at this kind of thing(my current computer is a pre-made dell with an upgraded video card{I did install the video card though!}) so I'm not brave enough to try anything to hi-techy. Also, I don't plan on crossfiring any time soon, but I wasn't sure what wattage I needed, so I figured over kill is under rated.

    Would the i5 3570 and the ASRock Z77 Pro($250 together) be better then your suggested i5 3450 ($175) and decent H77 board ($100)?

    Also, I used your $1000 build as a kind of cookie cutter type thing, if it looks semi-similar, just wanted to thank you for that.
  6. Azok said:
    1. what is this build for...

    2. why are you copying me? lol jk


    Great minds think alike! And I pretty much plan on gaming...Right now just the basics(Diablo, WoW, I'm completely addicted to LoL) but I want to keep my options open.
  7. Zero_, I was also hoping you could tell me a little about SSD's, would you suggest I got one for this build, and are they really crucial? I saw you put them in some of your builds, but most people leave them out.
  8. rsheets1991 said:
    Thanks for the reply!

    I don't plan on overclocking....as I said, i'm brand new at this kind of thing(my current computer is a pre-made dell with an upgraded video card{I did install the video card though!}) so I'm not brave enough to try anything to hi-techy. Also, I don't plan on crossfiring any time soon, but I wasn't sure what wattage I needed, so I figured over kill is under rated.

    Would the i5 3570 and the ASRock Z77 Pro($250 together) be better then your suggested i5 3450 ($175) and decent H77 board ($100)?

    Also, I used your $1000 build as a kind of cookie cutter type thing, if it looks semi-similar, just wanted to thank you for that.



    There is always the option of going sandy bridge like a 2500k and a asrock z68 extreme 3. That might save you some money and allow the option of overclocking down the road. Also, I like the gtx 570 over the 7850...you can find them for prob $250 and under
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel Systems Product