IMac or self build PC

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • iMac
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2012 12:48:19 PM

Sorry to keep ask this as im sure its been asked before, but I am looking to get a new PC (home build) or iMac 27" for Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Audition, Cinema 4D. As far as im aware all of this software is available on both so software is not an issue.

I am not a university student so the software or anything doesnt have to match anything an establishment uses
I know quite a bit about windows but am willing to learn OSX if the iMac would be better
it will replace my old windows PC
I dont have a huge room so space is an issue, although if the PC is worth it then I will sacrifice the space

PC general specs and price (I think I have covered the important parts)

Intel ivy bridge i7 3770K 3.5GHz (overclockable)
16 or 32GB RAM
60GB SSD - for OS and program files
1TB 7200rpm HDD - for everything else
samsung 27" 2560x1440 display
Asus GTX 570 1.25GB Graphics (for CUDA, although if Radeon with more VRAM would be better i am willing to change)
windows 7 professional 64bit
USB 3.0
£1500/1600

iMac (mid to late 2011)(or wait for the 2012)
Intel i5 3.1GHz or 3.4 i7
4GB standard RAM although i would take this to 16
2GB Radeon 6970
27" 2560x1440 glossy screen
£1600/1800 for the two (I get student discount from Apple)

The main problem with my computer is its inability to load previews to see what im editing and the fact that render times take AGES... for example a 7 second into made in cinema 4D took over two hours to render

when I have used the iMac in a local shop, I abosolutely Love the screen. glossy doesnt bother me, although its annoting sometimes, my TV is glossy as well so I dont have a problem with it. but then the samsung screen might still be great

HD capture card needs to be able to work

Gaming ability is not particularly important, I have an Xbox 360 for that, and a blu ray player for movies

Mac pro is out of the question

if it would do what I want to do then I would definately consider a 15" macbook pro (i7) and the samsung (or other) large high res screen)

basically I want a fast computer which will run the programs I have listed well and fast to cut down on the waiting times and cut right down on the rendering times. It would be nice if it took up smaller amounts of space, but as I said earlier I am willing to sacrifice the space if the performance is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help with this dilemma

More about : imac build

a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2012 1:06:07 PM

Build the PC. Although a Mac would be perfect for your work. But you can build a much killer computer for the same price with going with a PC
May 17, 2012 1:16:55 PM

+1 for self built PC. Easy, fun, and made the exact way you want for what you want it to do.

BTW i dont know if youve see current PC games but they make Xbox look like Atari graphics, with resolutions up to 2560x1600 or 1080p in 3D. PC graphics are the ultimate eye candy.
Related resources
May 17, 2012 1:24:34 PM

Both will be great. you just need to know which OS you prefer working on. I prefer to work on IOS Mac but game on a PC.
May 17, 2012 3:38:52 PM

I really like using OSX, and I think that the iMac would be very good for my requirements, but im not sure if its really work the money when compared to the PC and I have quite a bit of experience with fixing windows issues so if it goes wrong i should be alright. But the mac probably wont go wrong
(i live near a custom pc shop, but a way from any apple outlet) just to throw some more details in

And yeah, ive seen some pretty fine PC graphics and I know theyre better than the xbox anyday, but the xbox has much better online facilities for me, and as my friends all have xboxes, I mainly use it to talk to them...but PC vs Xbox is a bit irrelevant for video editing.

I will be using a an HD capture card, but this works on both mac and windows.

May 17, 2012 4:13:15 PM

well if you're gonna game get a pc..
a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2012 6:07:54 PM

The days of a Mac being "better for graphics" ended the better part of a decade ago, once the software became equivalent. There is no reason - NONE - to get a Mac unless you're forced to in order to be compatible with what your workplace or college is using. Otherwise you're just paying double the price for something with the same specs that looks shiny and can't play games.

Not to mention the satisfaction of building a machine yourself is nice, and knowing what the hell you're doing around computers will come in handy a lot throughout the rest of your life.
May 17, 2012 6:40:45 PM

capt_taco said:
The days of a Mac being "better for graphics" ended the better part of a decade ago, once the software became equivalent. There is no reason - NONE - to get a Mac unless you're forced to in order to be compatible with what your workplace or college is using. Otherwise you're just paying double the price for something with the same specs that looks shiny and can't play games.

Not to mention the satisfaction of building a machine yourself is nice, and knowing what the hell you're doing around computers will come in handy a lot throughout the rest of your life.

Thats a good point about the experience of building my own. Im not forced to be compatible with anything, i think me wanting an imac is probably down the the look of it and how much less space it takes up than a PC, but the pc is probably the logical choice as its less money for more power.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2012 8:24:35 PM

iMacs are a joke, they're just oversized laptops. (Expensive components, and lacking performance)
!