Sign in with
Your question

Sandy bridge to ivy bridge upgrade question.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Sandy Bridge
Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2012 3:05:44 PM

Im going to order a new video card and double my ram soon and was considering upgrading my cpu while Im at it and was curious if it would b actually worth it or not since I can still sell my old cpu on ebay to make a little of the money back since it has the original box and unused fan with it.

I have a intel core i5 2500 sandy bridge and I was wondering about a core i5 3570 ivy bridge.

Would there be an actual improvemet enough to warrant this upgrade? It would be going in a pc that is strictly used for gaming. If the improvement would just be marginal at best then Ill stick with what I have and upgrade when the next cpu build comes out.

More about : sandy bridge ivy bridge upgrade question

a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 3:06:50 PM

Only 5-10% improvement, not worth it to upgrade, your current is fine.
m
l
September 4, 2012 3:10:11 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Only 5-10% improvement, not worth it to upgrade, your current is fine.

Thats kind of what I thought but I wasnt sure since my technical prowess has dropped off the past year. But yeah for anything less than a 25% improvement Ill just wait for next round to come out. New video card and doubling my ram to 8gb and using win7 64bit should be more than enough.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 3:15:31 PM

Don't buy the next CPUs straight away, wait and see how they perform and what people say about the newer CPUs.
m
l
September 4, 2012 3:18:17 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Don't buy the next CPUs straight away, wait and see how they perform and what people say about the newer CPUs.

Oh I wont. I learned a long time ago when it comes to tech to wait a litle bit and see what the general consensus on them is. I just meant I wont worry about upgrading till next gen stuff starts coming out.
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:29:13 PM

Actually it depends on whether or not you currently have a 2500 or a 2500K and on what your mobo is.
An upgrade from a 2500 to a 3570K is worth it in my eyes whereas an upgrade from a 2500K to a 3570K isn't.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 4:43:32 PM

In almost every case there wouldn't be much advantage to upgrading from the 2nd to the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors. Even on a gaming system and if you were going from the Intel Core i5-2500 to the Intel Core i5-3570K I would say that you won't get enough of a performance upgrade to make it worth upgrade at this time.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 11:46:14 PM

gargus said:
Thats kind of what I thought but I wasnt sure since my technical prowess has dropped off the past year. But yeah for anything less than a 25% improvement Ill just wait for next round to come out. New video card and doubling my ram to 8gb and using win7 64bit should be more than enough.

If you are looking for at least a 25% improvement in performance, assuming the same clockspeed, then you likely need to wait for Broadwell in 2014 or Skylake in 2015.

Ivy Bridge is on average 5% faster than Sandy Bridge. Using simple math, Haswell would need to have a 20% boost in performance over Ivy Bridge to get a total of 25%. A 20% improvement in performance is very unlikely even if it is a totally new CPU architecture. It has never been achieved before. Can Haswell do it? Perhaps... but the odds are against that happening.

A more likely scenario is that Haswell will be 12% faster than Ivy Bridge, and Broadwell will be 8% faster than Haswell. Using simple math, the total would be a 25% improvement. In actuality, using the mentioned percentages, the performance increase works out to 27%.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:21:54 AM

I wouldn't bother. You're going from a very good quad core processor to a slightly better quad core processor. Most games aren't capable of utilising a quad core processor. The performance increase is so small you won't notice it when you're gaming anyway. You will see a bigger difference if you were to upgrade your graphics card.

I "upgraded" from an i7-920 to a i5-3570K, the system responds quicker but because it's using the same graphics card I haven't actually gained any gaming performance.
m
l
!