Need help building a new system

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2012 1:25:40 PM

Hiya guys.

I'm a bit stuck and i sure hope you guys can help me. I want to build a new system really made for gaming prefered high performance gaming but after desciding on the cpu and gpu i kinda got stuck as to what else to get. PSU power and type of mobo etc. So i copied the "how to ask...." list below and i hope you guys can help. I'll answer any questions you have for me ofcourse.

Approximate Purchase Date: End of may/first week of june

Budget Range: No idea what "rebate" means but i got about 900euro (+_ 1060USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (FPS/MMORPG), 3D modelling with 3ds max and Zbrush

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, cpu, gpu.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferred websites for me. Tough an idea of pricing would be great ofcourse the where i'll get it is not set in stone yet.

Parts Preferences: Full tower case (can be flashy i don't dislike lights and windows etc but i'm thinking full tower because of the atx and big gpu cards) and Full ATX mobo for the possibilities of future expansions. Also would need an after market cooler. Been looking at the Cooler Master 212 EVO but feel free to pick something else.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Full HD (also used on a 51" tv)

Additional Comments: IF possible a Z77 chipset is prefered given the pcie3 and future options. Also i picked sandy bridge because of it's lower temps and easier OC'ing then the newer Ivy bridge. but if you think the low extra for the Ivy bridge is doable then by all means replace my choosen cpu with the ivy bridge type. Same goes for the HD7850. I have a difficulty desciding if the MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC is worth the extra 15bucks over the Sapphire HD7850 2GB GDDR5 so if you guys can tell me somthing about that then that would be grand.

If i missed anything please let me know. My first post here on TH and i like to do it right :D  Thanks up front guys.

More about : building system

May 17, 2012 1:30:25 PM

Not allowed to edit my own msg. Oh well. I just wanted to say that i noticed that i forgot to add a price in the title and i'm sorry for that. If a mod reads this. Please add=> around 1000USD<= behind it. Thnx
May 17, 2012 1:31:56 PM

please list the parts that you have already chosen. TY
Related resources
May 17, 2012 1:37:14 PM

l0v3rboi said:
please list the parts that you have already chosen. TY

That's already in the msg mate. i5-2500K but i'm not death set on it. If the i5-3570K is worth the extra money then that one is fine as well. Same for the GPU i'm set on a 7850 but there are about 20 of that type out there and i don't know wich is what. Best value or performance. I did include 2 of my prefered once (with url links) to tough. I'm guessing that is what you mean with your msg.
May 17, 2012 1:41:13 PM

Oh yeah i did forgot 1 thing. Don't need an OS.
May 17, 2012 1:59:41 PM

HardBaller said:
That's already in the msg mate. i5-2500K but i'm not death set on it. If the i5-3570K is worth the extra money then that one is fine as well. Same for the GPU i'm set on a 7850 but there are about 20 of that type out there and i don't know wich is what. Best value or performance. I did include 2 of my prefered once (with url links) to tough. I'm guessing that is what you mean with your msg.

O.. I was thinking you had a more detailed list than that. My mistake. :p  Anyway, here is what I would suggest:

i5 3570k (240) - You need to have IB to take advantage of PCI 3.0 on z77 MoBo
Gigabyte Z77-ud3h (160)
G-Skill 8 Gb RAM (45)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (35)
xfx core edition pro 750W (115)
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60Gb (68)
WD Caviar Blue 500Gb (80)
Cooler Master HAF 912 (60)
Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC (260) - Really good brand for Radeon cards. The MSI you chose is overclocked so it is more expensive. The Sapphire you chose on the other hand is stock. The one I chose is also Overclocked. It is faster but again you pay the price. It is worth it if you don't want the trouble of overclocking.

Total = 1018 US Dollars (not including shipping and such)
May 17, 2012 2:20:28 PM

This might sound like a stupid question but i can't find a set answer to it. Do you actually need PCIe 3.0 to use the 7850? or does it also work with the 2.0. Asking this cause of the OC options/temps on the sandy vs ivy bridge atm. and ofcourse price ranges (cheaper cpu means more money for gpu or ssd etc. for example)
May 17, 2012 2:30:23 PM

HardBaller said:
Do you actually need PCIe 3.0 to use the 7850?

No, it runs fine with 2.0

But 3.0 would give you a bit "future-proof"
May 17, 2012 2:55:48 PM

How far did you plan to overclock and why? That will help you solve the CPU question. If you're happy with 4.4 (maybe 4.5) at a nice 60C then the 3570K is the way to go. If you have an app that needs 4.9 or 5 or you just want to have that in your sig block on forums, then get the 2500K.

That being said, if you find a really, really good deal on a 2500K and you're on a budget then that's a good plan as well.
May 17, 2012 4:40:56 PM

I am hardballer but from my cellphone. The 2500k i could get for around 180/190 euro. Why i would oc is basicly for myself for learning purposes and curioucity and to prolong de usable lifetime of it (enhancing the power with the progression of higher and higher demands of the heavier games and future games and to ge a bit more power rendering 3d scenes with mental ray. Current q6600 oc gets maxed out there).
May 17, 2012 4:42:24 PM

Oh to the how far. As far as possible I think. Maybe not in the beginning but eventually I'd like to push it higher and higher.
May 17, 2012 7:05:12 PM

Need an expert on mental ray to chime in. Might be better served with a hyperthreaded 2600K that you can clock higher.

Other thing to consider is support for PCI3 (2600 is PCI2) - it doesn't matter today but may down the road if you plan on longevity.

Clock for clock the 3570K is 5-15% faster than a SB so at 4.4GHz it's functionally a 4.6-5.0 SB depending on the app.

Really, you can't go wrong. I will always recommend the latest barring something catastrophic, but if you can find a good deal on a 2500K I don't think you'll be sorry you went that route.

Along with that, if you don't plan an IB upgrade down the road you may as well get a Z68 board if you can find one on sale.

May 18, 2012 4:38:02 AM

Ok looking at all comments and thinking/looking over shops right now i got this put together.

shop is afutur.nl

You guys prolly think the sabertooth is an overkill but i fried a system cause of overheating once and been paranoid for temps ever since. A fear that i'm getting over but all the extra futures the sabertooth has sorta helps. If you guys think it's really not needed. The sugjest another one by all means. Been going over the "need to have" so i'll write that down. So this is a raw setup i could come up with from all your replies (thanks for that to btw).

For the mobo's "must have": Z77 chipset, Plenty of USB 2 and some USB 3 (keyboard, headset hub, mouse, tablet, cellphone, 2x external hdd's are always hooked up), 7.1 or 8.0 audio, Good ethernet connection (1gb). Prefered good passive/active cooling and ofcourse full atx model not micro.

Don't need a "storage" hdd btw. Found out i still got 2 still sealed laying around. Thanks so far guys. Yeah i know i say it a lot but you still take the time in your life to help ppl like myself.
May 18, 2012 5:20:53 AM

With that case you have no chance of frying anything due to heat but if it makes you comfy, that's important too :) 

Need a PSU expert to chime in - thought I read that Coolermaster made bad PSUs but I can't prove it. Keep hearing Seasonic, Corsair, and OCZ.
May 18, 2012 6:23:36 AM

I recommend maxing at 4.5 GHz, as anything above that has diminishing returns.
May 18, 2012 12:01:01 PM

Ok i can get another PSU that's no problem. the CM just seemed like a nice power/price option. I'll look into the OCZ mod version i do like the modification options on those. Keeps the case nice and clean.

Thinking of maybe dropping the SSD tough and put that money down for eighter GPU upgrade (HD7870) or on something else. I'm sure there is always something to improve ;) .

Still leaves the part for the mobo. If the haf 912 is so good then yeah the sabertooth would be an "overkill" but what should i get then that has all the things i wrote in my previous post. I've been reading comparison blogs and articles that my eyes start to tear but at the same time it only raises more questions then answeres.

I won't oc over 4.5 azeem40. Also atm i don't see a reason/point why i would to.

Btw. can you use 2.5" HDD's in a desktop. I have one laying around from my previous ps3 that has no purpose now. A shame to let 500gb's go to waste...
May 18, 2012 12:04:05 PM

Damn why can't i edit my own posts btw?

O well i wanted to add the reason why i was thinking of dropping the ssd. I keep reading (on this forum among others) that it doesn't really add anything for gaming. And as far as 3d modelling goes i'm unsure of that as well. So if it doesn't really add anything where it matters then why not put the money somewhere it does.
May 22, 2012 2:43:01 PM

Ok so guys. I'm down to the last part here. Got the money this friday so i'll be ordering all parts then. I really hope someone can advice on this last hurdle.

So far i've got,
CPU -> i5-3570K
CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU -> XFX Core Edition Pro 750W
Ram -> 8gb 1600mhz corsair vengeance
Case -> Cooler Master HAF 912 plus
SSD -> OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
GPU -> Sapphire HD7850 OC

All i need now is a mobo but i'm stuck with a couple choices and i hope you guys can tell me your opinion as to value/features/OC capabilities and overal workings.

These are the once i picked. Please if you can think of another feel free to add it.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) €205,13
ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional-M €157,43
ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance €154,95
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 €173,70
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 €197,99
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO €176,99

Things that always are connected over usb 2.0 are the keyboard, mouse, tablet, external HDD, USB stick and an USB hub for my headset. So that's the only real demand i have to be able to use these. Further it has to be able to OC and a nice bios can't hurt ofcourse.

I hope you guys can help me pick. I am a fan of the ASrock boards but 0 exp. with there is where you guys come in :) . Thanks in advance. I'll react as soon as possible.

May 22, 2012 2:49:45 PM

Double check but the Extreme6 should be able to address you USB needs (the 4 might but would be cutting it close).
May 22, 2012 3:38:14 PM

Yeah according to a diagram here that hold all the ASrock z77 boards in a row it should have a total of 8x USB2.0 tough i wonder how many of those are on the back side (already build on the mobo) and how many are plugings for case usb connections. Of everything i know least of mobo's (that should say something lol) so i'm in the dark on this.
May 23, 2012 1:17:06 PM

Ok i've descided to go with the ASrock extreme6. Is there a mod reading this that wants to change my original post (i don't seem to be able to) and switch it to question instead of discussion.

I'd like to select J_E_D_70 for best answere given the total amount of information given and with that help. But i can only give that credit if the OP changes.

If that's not possible just close it. Answered and parts are here with a few days.
May 23, 2012 6:11:16 PM

Thanks eh :)  Have fun with the build!
!