Sign in with
Your question

Sudden stability problem due to GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2012 2:42:29 AM

***Please close this thread, I moved to the motherboard section of the forum, due to recent development.***

Thanks!

Hello,

I have started experiencing stability issues and I'm at a loss as to find the cause of it.

Recently I've been playing Rage when it did a BSOD. It hadn't happened in a long while. Afterwards, things got worse, as in-game stability was getting serious. I tried other games , even tried MAss Effect 2, but after about 5-10 minutes, i would get a reset or a BSOD.
Lowering visual settings to minimum would raise the survival time to about 15-20 minutes.

Between crashes, I sometimes get freezes right before the BIOS screen. It would simply stay black. The computer would be under tension, but nothing would happen.

I figured that it might have been drivers not getting along (been running windows for almost 2 years now), so I reinstalled windows, got the latest drivers for my graphic card, chipset, etc. I haven't noticed any drastic changes.

I checked for high temp peaks with Speedfan, but my GPU would stay at 60C idle and 66C right before a crash. I bought some thermal paste and applied some to my GPU and my CPU, cleaned the fans and the whole case, but it did not bring any apparent temperature change.

I tested my memory with Memtest and eventually found one of my two sticks was buggy. After removal of the buggy stick, I would get the same crashes.

I tried wPrime and I can't complete the test, it just freezes the computer. Once I got to 97% and the other time 20%.

Then I removed my graphic card and used the onboard one and the crashes stopped. I have been running that way for a week now and my computer is stable. Except when I try wPrime.

Now I am wondering if the cause of the problem is a single component, or multiple components. Could someone help me out in figuring which of the above is causing the troubles?

Here are my specs:
Mobo : ASUSTek M4A785TD-V EVO
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 925
Memory : G.Skill 2gigs @ 667MHz
Graphic card : BFG GeForce 9800GT
Onboard GPU :ATI Radeon HD4200

I run Windows 7 64-bit.

Sorry for the long post, but damn it feels good :) 

Thank you for your assistance.
a c 91 U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 2:58:09 AM

could you test the graphic card in another computer and do memtest with the onboard video one stick at the time,you could also win 7 memory diagnostic tools
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 3:09:19 AM

What are the temps on your CPU? As it seems it may be overheating as wPrime should not cause a crash. And I'm hoping when you put the new thermal paste on that you only put on a small dot (about the size of a grain of rice) in the center and let the heatsink spread it for you to reduce/eliminate air pockets. The stability issues could be caused by the 9800GT adding extra heat to the case and causing the CPU to overheat quicker. Oh and don't forget to blow some compressed air through the Heatsink if you haven't recently as dust (even if it doesn't seem like there is a lot) can raise the temps alot.

(CPU temps should run around the upper to lower 30's when idle and stay lower than 70 when at full load. I own a Phenom II 925 and these are my temps with the stock HSF at default clock speeds)
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 3:39:07 PM

scout_03 said:
could you test the graphic card in another computer and do memtest with the onboard video one stick at the time,you could also win 7 memory diagnostic tools

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any available computer that would fit my type of card (I live in a rather remote area, so I don't even have a competent computer shop near me). So I'm kind of stuck doing some trial and error tests.

As for the memory, I tried to change the sticks' places and tried each one alone in different slots and one stick consistently came as buggy (sometimes it freezes my computer, other times I get 20-something errors and one time I was at 600+ errors when I stopped it).

could another component cause this kind of problems in memory?

Thanks!
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:46:10 PM

caqde said:
What are the temps on your CPU? As it seems it may be overheating as wPrime should not cause a crash. And I'm hoping when you put the new thermal paste on that you only put on a small dot (about the size of a grain of rice) in the center and let the heatsink spread it for you to reduce/eliminate air pockets. The stability issues could be caused by the 9800GT adding extra heat to the case and causing the CPU to overheat quicker. Oh and don't forget to blow some compressed air through the Heatsink if you haven't recently as dust (even if it doesn't seem like there is a lot) can raise the temps alot.

(CPU temps should run around the upper to lower 30's when idle and stay lower than 70 when at full load. I own a Phenom II 925 and these are my temps with the stock HSF at default clock speeds)

Thanks for the reply.

My CPU runs idle at around 28-30. When playing games with my onboard GPU, temp would go around the 40-50s, but I will do a few test tonight to get more specific data under different kind of loads (games, wPrime, etc).

As for the thermal paste, I was very careful to put just a bit and spread it out from the center out. I tried to blow as much dust out of the CPU heatsink as I could. Since I did the cleanup I left my tower open and lowered the room temperature.

I'll also try to instal my 9800GT back on and start wPrime with a panel open with Speedfan to compare temperature with and without the graphic card.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep you updated.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 9:27:34 PM

duaner said:
Thanks for the reply.

My CPU runs idle at around 28-30. When playing games with my onboard GPU, temp would go around the 40-50s, but I will do a few test tonight to get more specific data under different kind of loads (games, wPrime, etc).

As for the thermal paste, I was very careful to put just a bit and spread it out from the center out. I tried to blow as much dust out of the CPU heatsink as I could. Since I did the cleanup I left my tower open and lowered the room temperature.

I'll also try to instal my 9800GT back on and start wPrime with a panel open with Speedfan to compare temperature with and without the graphic card.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep you updated.

1) Do not spread the paste, put a small amount in the center and let the heatsink do that for you when you press down on it. The pressure from the heatsink will spread it out evenly from the center.

2) close the chassis up an open case will cause the air to stagnate around and should actually raise the temps inside the case (feel free to do a test of this in my computer it raised my temps a lot when my side panels were off). If your case has enough fans in it the temp should be lower when the side panels are on.

3) Other then that the temps you are showing are fine, although a game depending on what it is won't cause the CPU to reach its limits.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 1:16:16 AM

since you got one stick of memory that give you error this is a part of the issue for bsod and are they dual channel memory sticks bought in a kit together they should be still on warranty rma them and get 4 fig to work with your win 7 x 64
m
l
March 16, 2012 2:02:02 AM

Good evening,

I made a few tests to compare heat of GPU and CPU when idle, running Mass Effect 2 and running wPrime. Afterwards I wanted to reinstall my 9800GT and do the same tests.

____
I'll present the numbers always in the following sequence :CPU temp - GPU Temp

With onboard GPU:

Idle = 26 - 0 (with the onboard GPU I can't seem to get any temp readings)
ME2 = 39 - 0
wPrime = 46 - 0 (it finished without errors the 1024M, and after a minute after the test, I got a BSOD, ''System Service Exception'' and the computer restarted.

I switched off the PSU and installed the 9800GT

Idle = 30 - 60
ME2 = 41 - 62 (last reading, after about 4-5 minutes, complete system freeze with weird sounds coming out of the speakers. Over time sounds change from low buzz, to high pitch, then to low pitching noise, over the course of about 5 minutes)
wPrime = Could not get to it, see below
____

-After the noisy freeze, I pressed the Reset button and do a normal reboot. When Windows opens, a few gadgets open, then complete system freeze, without any sound. Wait a minute or two.
-Press the Reset again, exact same thing happens; freeze without sounds.
-Switch off the PSU, wait a minute, switch on. Black screen before even the BIOS screen. Frozen keyboard, no sounds, just that teasing little white line at the left-top corner blinking. Wait a bit.
-Press the Reset button, go into safe mode w/networking. When Windows open, loads a bit then complete system freeze.
-Switch PSU off, remove 9800GT, wait a minute, switch PSU on.

And my system is now working without any problem. It does not look like a heat issue as heat levels were pretty much low. If I did not have any problems with wPrime, I would simply get rid of the 9800GT (maybe something popped when I got my Rage initial problem?).

But the fact that I have two seemingly buggy components makes me wonder if the problem is not elsewhere. Could the Mobo be a source of problem? The system has been running pretty well for almost two years...

Maybe I should do something differently that would be more efficient.

Thanks again for all the help.

m
l
March 16, 2012 2:35:48 AM

scout_03 said:
try this to find i you still got a driver issue look that 9800 gt done is time,if you reinstall her get the latest nvidia driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-296.10...

Hello,

I don't know, I have tried different drivers as on some forums it helped other people. So I tried the latest one (295.73 at the time) and when I had still problems, I tried to go back one by one, down to 257.21. It always presented the same basic problem; after a few minute of gaming, it would either freeze, restart or do a BSOD.

And I wonder if the graphic drivers might cause the problem on startup (in quite different ways) and also cause the CPU to crash after testing.

I'll try the latest driver and let you know how it goes, but I have a feeling...

Thanks for the suggestion.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 4:17:21 AM

Another thing you could do is look for bulging or leaking capacitors on your motherboard. If you have any they will either need to be replaced or you will need a new motherboard (usually the latter as most people don't really care to replace those parts) unless your board is still under warranty.
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:29:02 PM

Okay, I uninstalled my 9800gt and installed the newest driver.

Bad idea, I got a BSOD during the driver installation (it never did that before...). Upon restarting, it froze up.
I reset the machine and it got to windows normally. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and it BSODed again mid-installation. Upon restart, same problem.

I removed the 9800gt and restarted. Upon power on, I received a black screen, no beep, nothing working. After another restart, after about 3-4 minutes into Windows, I got another BSOD out of nowhere. Restarted and got frozen before getting to the boot menu.

After another off/on, I was able to get to safe mode w/network. No crash yet, so I was able to post this message.

So now I am really wondering if the Mobo might be the source of my problems. I checked quickly to see if something was apparent, but I'll need to remove the components on the mobo to take a closer look.

I was thinking of upgrading this summer, but it looks like I'll have to do it sooner than expected...

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks!
m
l
March 16, 2012 10:42:16 PM

Okay, a little late, but got a whole bunch of crashes and had to leave for work.

I checked closely at the motherboard and found that the capacitors were looking fine until I noticed what seemed like molten metal between the memory slots and the SATA slots. I was wondering if it should look like that?

Apart from that, everything looks fine to me.

m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 12:53:42 AM

it hard to tel from the picture send her to me in private message so i could look better at her and those motherboard screw came with the board and having a washer around them
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:15:55 PM

Hello,

Since this thread if for graphic cards,what if I think my motherboard might be the source of my problems and need some help, should I instead post into the motherboards thread?

The physical aspect of a part of the motherboard makes me think that something might be wrong. Could the part in question have something to do with the graphic card?

Thanks!
m
l
!