Need help on motherboard/CPU compatibility

ZeroLimits

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hey guys, I want to get a new processor for this rig that friend gave to me, I want the Phenom II X4 965 BE, I am not sure if my motherboard is compatible with it, I checked on the ASUS website and it said it was compatible up to bios version 0302, when i check my Bios version, it says American Megatrends 2007, 4/14/2010. I'm not sure if that is up to date or not. I know the pcb version is 1.01; which is required for this CPU. Any advice? Also; for people that have the 965, how is the stock cooler? I won't be investing in a third party heatsink for a while.

My current specs are:

Mobo - ASUS M4A77TD
GPU - HD Radeon 6870
RAM - 4 GB DDR3 (not sure on brand)
PSU - Xion 700 Watt
Current CPU - AMD Anthlon II 250

The cpu support list for ur motherboard supports up to the highest end Phenom II X6, so u should prob be good, 0302 are prob one of the first bios for the motherboard, so bios wise get the latest version u can and get the 965, should work no prob..

The stock cooler like most stock coolers keep it cool, just not as great as a aftermarket cooler, but i wouldnt oc much with the stock cooler, also the fan gets loud when cpu is hot, or fan is just turned up all the way. Cheap cooler is a Cooler master 212 + or evo. $20-30 usually, for a gaming purpose no oc, stock should work, and maybe consider 4 more gb of ram over a cpu cooler.

ZeroLimits

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

Seems good to hear, I didn't really plan to do an overclocking without a new heatsink, it is good to hear that the stock will be fine for now. It will be such an improvement over my old one that I won't need to OC it immediately anyway. This is my first CPU replacement so I just wanted to make sure everything would be okay; the board revision is 1.01G so I think I will be okay. I was just a bit nervous about the Bios version; 2007 is the second to most recent version so I will probably just stick with that ( I'm nervous enough about doing my first processor switch; I don't want to bring the risk of Bios flashing if I don't have to).

Its not as difficult as it seems to switch out the cpu. What gets me is redoing my aftermarket cpu, and reapplying thermal paste. But if u still use the old stock cooling it should come off with no prob. the new cpu just make sure that its aligned right and set it in place, and with am3 stock cooling new u wont have to worry about applying new thermal paste as it'll be pre applied.

I wouldnt see a reason to do a bios flash lol