Wanting to start a new rig in next 6 mo or so

seroster

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
As per title, wanting to start a new rig in the next 6 mo or so, and I was wondering if during that time frame the next gen of intel CPU/Motherboards were going to hit soon-ish?

Most of the reason I ask, when I built the core of my current rig, it seems I hit on the tail end of a socket type, and as such 2-3 yrs. later when I wanted to upgrade my CPU, I couldn't find any real upgrades that would work w/ my Mobo. As such, I'm wary of getting the current Z77/Core i5 mobos if they're soon going to be "phased out" in short order. I tried snooping around this forum to see if there was any info on the next gen CPUs and such, but I either didn't understand or couldn't find anything about the estimated time frame for the next wave.

So I figured I'd directly ask the more knowledgeable types here if I should hold off some to buy my set or if it was going to be longer before the next set of chips hit?

The latest Intel CPU's, Ivy Bridges is already out and by that time all models of Ivy Bridges will be on the market. The next generation, Haswell will be released in March-June 2013 so a little after your 6 month time frame. It's up to you on what you want to do but the thing is that is the problem with building a new computer. You put the latest and greatest hardware in in and in 12 to 18 months it's out of date. There is nothing you can do about it unless you have the money to build a new computer every time a new CPU or video card is released.

seroster

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Yeah 2013 is longer than what I thought I saw on arrival date. Assuming I get the funds, I probably will go w/ current IvyBridge. Anyone know if there's going to be new Mobo chipsets in that time period either? That would be my next question.