Advice/Help on new gaming comp (~$1300)

naaberz3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hi guys,

I had a few questions I wanted to ask before I went out and bought everything. This will be my first build, but I have friends that are willing to help me and I have replaced parts before. I'll post my generic info, and then the parts that I had in mind. Feel free to offer suggestions, and I will point out where I am most uncertain as well.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Weekend unless convinced otherwise
Budget Range: ~1300 but pretty flexable
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: prefer newegg, maybe amazon
Overclocking: Maybe a little in the future, but not too concerned.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (looking to buy one)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H $160
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K $240
After-Stock Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $35
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB $50
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB $409
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM $100
CD Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner $17
Power Suppy: OCZ ZS Series 750W $90
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 $100

~$1170 with bundles

First and most important, am i missing anything I would need?

Uncertainties:
CPU: I have read some heat issues with the ivy bridges. Is this something for me to be concerned with being that I have no-minimal plans for OCing

SSD: Do I really need an SSD? if I got one I would probably use it for mainly just a boot drive, so I dont know if i can really justify another ~$100 for one.

RAM: I really had no clue what ram to get. Do I need/Should I get low profile ram like I choose?

CASE: It seemed to have good reviews. I am more on performance than looks, let me know if you guys have suggestions. Heat management/noise is main concern

POWER SUPPLY: basically just picked one with good reviews lol

Other:
I am also looking to get a monitor in the near future as well. Doesn't have to be this moment being I have an older one. Looking in the ~$150 range. Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions for that as well.

I liked this ASUS VS Series until i read that most of the reviews say it is wobbly.

Thanks for all the help. I am at work, but will try to check periodically when I have time.

-Ray

Solution

Do *NOT* rely on Newegg reviews for your sole basis of picking out products - the people reviewing on Newegg typically are not experts. That's a classic mistake people make around here, and it is not the best way to go about building a system, IMO. Because then you get products with bad or no technical support (*COUGH* Asrock *COUGH*) or you get things that you're not entirely satisfied with or are not current hardware (Antec 900 is a perfect example). And the people who complain on Newegg are usually 1/2 the time complaining about bad refunds, problems with UPS, or other BS like that and has nothing to do with the product underperforming, do your research on more...

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
CPU: Get the IB.

SSD: Yes, get an SSD if you can afford it. If nothing else, get a smaller 64gb like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441 and use SRT to give you some extra speed.

RAM: Yes, those are fine.

CASE: That is a highly recommended case around here. You could also check out the Corsair 400R or the Fractal Arc Midi in the same price range.

As for a monitor, I just bought an ASUS VH238H on recommendation from here. I haven't hooked it up yet, but it's around your price range on Newegg right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

naaberz3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Okay, thanks for the help. Everything else looked okay too? I think Ill prolly break down and get a small ssd for just a boot drive. Might as well.

Thx for answering those questions/concerns I had too.

g-unit1111

Titan

Do *NOT* rely on Newegg reviews for your sole basis of picking out products - the people reviewing on Newegg typically are not experts. That's a classic mistake people make around here, and it is not the best way to go about building a system, IMO. Because then you get products with bad or no technical support (*COUGH* Asrock *COUGH*) or you get things that you're not entirely satisfied with or are not current hardware (Antec 900 is a perfect example). And the people who complain on Newegg are usually 1/2 the time complaining about bad refunds, problems with UPS, or other BS like that and has nothing to do with the product underperforming, do your research on more sites.

This would be a better choice of PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I wouldn't pick Galaxy as your GPU manufacturer - go with EVGA instead.

SSD: Do I really need an SSD? if I got one I would probably use it for mainly just a boot drive, so I dont know if i can really justify another ~$100 for one.

You only need it if you're going for fast load times and boot speeds - otherwise a 500GB / 1TB mechanical HD is fine.

RAM: I really had no clue what ram to get. Do I need/Should I get low profile ram like I choose?

You want low profile RAM if you're going to be installing any sort of aftermarket cooler.

CASE: It seemed to have good reviews. I am more on performance than looks, let me know if you guys have suggestions. Heat management/noise is main concern

NZXT makes excellent cases, and the aforementioned Corsair Carbide and Arc MIDI are good ones as well. Again, don't use Newegg as your main source for product reviews.

I liked this ASUS VS Series until i read that most of the reviews say it is wobbly.

Wobbly? I use Asus monitors all the time and they have excellent picture quality, I wouldn't discount it for that reason.

Solution

naaberz3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Oh i totally agree about the reviews not being the most reliable. That is why I came here and asked for help. Plus I have been reading lots of other builds posted on this site and the review articles here, and pieced together this build.

The reason I have the galaxy card listed is because the evga was sold out but looks like it is in stock again. I better go order it today haha.

I really appreciate all the help I am getting.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the demand for NVIDIA 6XX is unlike anything anyone's ever seen before - if you want one you'd better be watching Newegg like a hawk. :lol:

naaberz3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Man no kidding. evga was in right when i was leaving work yesterday and when I got home they were already sold out again... Ill keep checking though! haha

Oh okay I think I'll get that monitor then too. I think its time to order everything. Thank you everyone for the help. Ill come back and bother you guys some more if I have any questions setting up.

P.S. nooooooooo that card is sold out now too.