thecheese96

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey guys, i have never overclocked before, in fact this is my first build. I was told that since it isnt a k series it is locked but i fiddled around in the bios a little bit and i found i can oc but i dont know how.
cpu ratio-all core
blck-was at 100.0
and cpu multiplier or something- it was at 33 which im guessing is the multiplier,
i have the stock fan/hs but i have an ac in my room and 3 case fans, so i can handle the heat
my question is: what can i oc it to safely with no harm to the components but still milk some extra performance out of it.
i have an asrock z75 pro3.

i tried setting the following but it crashed the OS and wouldnt start so i reset it to the default
blck 106.0mhz and multiplier to 37

any help is appreciated. i have prime 95 and under the full test load i only reached 60celcius, and since im gaming i realistically wont reach that. even skyrim only got to 50c

Solution
it is "limited unlocked" (google this for info) So multiplier can be increased by 4 bins. Most people think this is enough.

Then just like old school overclocking you can then only increase bclk and fiddle with timings voltages or buy expensive ram.

Most people recommend just leave the clock at 100, set your ram to xmp profile, and get your +4bins and set your ram at it's XMP profile and enjoy the 400mhz increase and it is enough for most people to be happy with +400mhz.

After that, you are risking instability for what? 1%-3% increases?
If you Really wanted the extra overclock more than that, shouldve spent the extra money and get a k processor.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
it is "limited unlocked" (google this for info) So multiplier can be increased by 4 bins. Most people think this is enough.

Then just like old school overclocking you can then only increase bclk and fiddle with timings voltages or buy expensive ram.

Most people recommend just leave the clock at 100, set your ram to xmp profile, and get your +4bins and set your ram at it's XMP profile and enjoy the 400mhz increase and it is enough for most people to be happy with +400mhz.

After that, you are risking instability for what? 1%-3% increases?
If you Really wanted the extra overclock more than that, shouldve spent the extra money and get a k processor.

Solution

thecheese96

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

program failed to install do to a non supported board, or something of the sort

thecheese96

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

so basically its not worth the extra push

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
yea... you get +400mhz which is comforting for the frugal shopper to know they are getting maximum value out of your money you spent.

You don't have to agonize that maybe you are not fully utilizing your purchase since you hit the multiplier lock.

I find it completely odd that people buy k processors then end up adding

+4bins (could've done the same with a non-k!)
+6 (extra money just for 200mhz)

save your money for games or for your video card

thecheese96

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

i wasnt really going to overclock anyways, this processor is fast and i removed the "OC".
this was more of a "so i know" experiment. oddly enough though, coretemp is picking it up at 3.6ghz instead of 3.299, on stock settings. im not quite sure what to think of it. i made sure to change everything back and i checked twice. im not complaining but its a little strange. im still extremely happy with my purchase, especially because i go this proc on sale for 190.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
coretemp maybe picking up different speeds depending on threading.

as guy above said, the max speed depends on cores that are active.
If you are using prime95 to benchmark, it depends how many threads you set to test.

Then the next factor is windows task management will inefficiently move the process to the different processors, which will both have overhead to move it around as well as confuse turbo boost.
So in a single threaded test, if you set the affinity of the task to a processor in task manager, the speed should then stop changing around. And if you had an actual benchmark it should go a tiny bit faster too since the process doesn't have to be moved...

Anyway, like above recommended, just max out the multiplier. Leave speedstep on, and when you do get a task then your computer will run as fast as it can, and the rest of the time will just chill out at 1.6ghz