Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What would my bottle neck be?

Last response: in Components
Share
September 4, 2012 8:26:08 PM

Here is my rig..Trying to find out if my CPU is the bottleneck and if a newer CPU in the midrange MOBO woulf be worth it..Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks.

MOBO- Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU- Intel i5 3550(3.3-3.7Ghz)Not able to be over clocked
GPU- Nvidia GTX670 2Gb FTW Ed.
RAM- 8Gb Patriot Sector 7 1600Mhz(i think)
Windows 7 x64
Newest drivers and all that.

I'm able to run BF3 Maxed at around 40fps
Sleeping Dogs around 30-34fps
Skyrim around 28-32fps
Batman A.C. Around 28-30fps but later levels with a lot of enemies fighting it starts to chug. around 12-15fps

More about : bottle neck

a b à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:29:25 PM

Your system is very good and balanced. Depending on application your system will bottleneck in different areas. What is it that you find unsatisfactory?
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:37:28 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Your system is very good and balanced. Depending on application your system will bottleneck in different areas. What is it that you find unsatisfactory?


+1

You shouldn't be experiencing any bottlenecks...it would normally take a 670 SLI to even make you WANT to consider to OC your i5.

What is your screen resolution?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 8:40:21 PM

I'm pretty happy with it too I am just thinking about the chugging on the Batman AC(I know its a pretty heavy game). But I mainly just want to be prepared for some of the upcoming titles like Assassins Creed III, Far Cry 3, and things like that.
All in All my main goal is to be able to max everything out and still be above 30fps on the most taxing parts of the game, but I want to do this without going out and loading up on the best of the best with SLI and i7 Extreme and all that because I know thats overkill right now.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:41:54 PM

volcom4c said:
I'm pretty happy with it too I am just thinking about the chugging on the Batman AC(I know its a pretty heavy game). But I mainly just want to be prepared for some of the upcoming titles like Assassins Creed III, Far Cry 3, and things like that.
All in All my main goal is to be able to max everything out and still be above 30fps on the most taxing parts of the game, but I want to do this without going out and loading up on the best of the best with SLI and i7 Extreme and all that because I know thats overkill right now.

Not overkill 'right now' but just overkill in general. There is NO need to get an Extreme Edition i7 at the moment, or for the near future as much as I can tell.

Most games still utilise only 2-3 cores with the exception of a few, BF3 being one of them. A mainstream i7 (3770k, 2700k) should be enough for the next long while IMO...i5 is more than enough as is :lol: 
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 8:41:57 PM

Screen Res is 1920x1080, always
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 8:46:24 PM

Thanks for the info Mocchan, I noticed you have your 2700K OCed. I have never overclocked a CPU just a GPU..is there a way or place to find out common CPU multipliers and voltages for a specific model the would work fairly universally on the same model? Or do I have to do the whole changing and testing for hours?
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:49:40 PM

volcom4c said:
Thanks for the info Mocchan, I noticed you have your 2700K OCed. I have never overclocked a CPU just a GPU..is there a way or place to find out common CPU multipliers and voltages for a specific model the would work fairly universally on the same model? Or do I have to do the whole changing and testing for hours?


Generally speaking, OCing your CPU (as long as you have a K sku) is very similar for every chip, changing voltages is one of the tricky parts :lol:  Some chips may require more voltage than others, some less than others. You basically want to take it in small intervals, don't jump up to high frequencies right away.

You may want to look at the "Intel OC club" on the Overclocking section of this forum to see if anyone has Ivy Bridge i5's OC'd :)  If I'm not mistaken, you can OC your 3550, even though it's not K sku, using the multiplier from Turbo Boost.

However, what version of the drivers are you using? Also you may want to check the temperature of the card and run a canned benchmark like 3DMark11 to check the score of your GPU. Also, does your card have all the proper power connections installed? And did you install it the PCI-E 16x slot closest to your CPU?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:54:49 PM

You shouldn't need to overclock the CPU. At maximums setting at 1080p you will be GPU bottlenecked in pretty much every game.
m
0
l
a c 147 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:56:32 PM

K edition processors you basically just up the multiplier. You can up the various bus's and voltages if you want to squeek every ounce of performance out of them but usually its not worth it imo.
Here's a decent guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

Non- k edition you're pretty much out of luck, you can only get another 400mhz or so out of them.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 8:57:04 PM

FinneousPJ said:
You shouldn't need to overclock the CPU. At maximums setting at 1080p you will be GPU bottlenecked in pretty much every game.


Man, I hate using the term "bottlenecked", especially for a GPU of such caliber :lol:  but yes, this is true.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2012 9:07:43 PM

Yeah the term seems to scare and confuse people.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 12:03:51 AM

Thanks guys for the input. My monitor, well what I'm using as a monitor is a 46" Sony Bravia EX LED, so anything under 1080p would be pointless in my opinion LOL. I haven't played a game on anything under 1920x1080 in years, And like I said before at that resolution and max settings I'm averaging over 30-40fps on everything except Batman A.C. So I'm not complaining by any means because I have not OCed my GPU yet. I read with Precision X you can get some really good gains on the 670. I just didn't know if my CPU was even an issue at this point. I intentionally got the 3550 because I didn't plan on OCing. Where would I find out how to gain that extra 400Mhz?
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:09:00 AM

Some research may help you in gaining that extra 400Mhz :) 

However, yes, an OC on your GTX670 should yield some good performance gains.

Disregard the intention of this thread... - http://www.overclock.net/t/1273746/radeon-7970-will-out...
But you can see how your card should perform on the titles you have listed, I'm still a little concerned as to why you aren't getting similar performance.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 12:19:15 AM

Would the SSD they are using in the test rig make the difference?
Because the 2600 runs at like 3.5mhz or so right? Plus the boost
I also thought me getting the Ivy Bridge and a MoBO that supports it, I would be taking advantage of PCI-e 3.0.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:21:35 AM

volcom4c said:
Would the SSD they are using in the test rig make the difference?
Because the 2600 runs at like 3.5mhz or so right? Plus the boost
I also thought me getting the Ivy Bridge and a MoBO that supports it, I would be taking advantage of PCI-e 3.0.

No, the SSD will NOT make a performance for gaming. Only load times and applications within Windows. Beyond that, there's no FPS gain.

The i7's are nearly identical to the i5's in gaming; most games don't use more than 2-3 cores, making the i7's Hyperthreading irrelevant. Not to mention, 400Mhz wouldn't make a big difference in performance, only a few FPS, which is hardly noticeable.

PCI-E 3.0 is irrelevant (at the moment) unless you plan on doing massive multi-GPU configurations such as 4xGTX680 or 4xHD7970's; for a single card, there is no performance gain.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 12:31:33 AM

HAHA....4 680s...talk about a monstaar PSU needed..lol...Thanks for all your help man. BTW I'm new to the Intel crew. Last 3 builds were AMD, the last was Phenom2 x4 955 Black ED. Loving the new intels though..Stats don't lie(well I guess they could depending on who records them..lol) but these don't.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 5, 2012 1:01:36 AM

volcom4c said:
HAHA....4 680s...talk about a monstaar PSU needed..lol...Thanks for all your help man. BTW I'm new to the Intel crew. Last 3 builds were AMD, the last was Phenom2 x4 955 Black ED. Loving the new intels though..Stats don't lie(well I guess they could depending on who records them..lol) but these don't.

Haha, yeah the current Intel CPU's are very snappy and beastly. Welcome to the Intel bandwagon, by the way :) 

Also, 4 680's only need a 1000w PSU :)  they aren't very power hungry!
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 2:34:17 AM

Ok I guess my last run was before I swapped over to Intel last week when I still had the Phenom, thats where the 30fps avg was.
Just played Bf3 for about an hour and a half and FPS never dropped below 57 avg 60.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 5, 2012 4:43:08 AM

Nice!
m
0
l
!