Sign in with
Your question

How is the thermal paste that comes with the 212+?

Tags:
  • Cooler Master
  • Amazon
  • Thermal Compound
  • Silver
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 4, 2012 10:02:23 PM

I am sick of hearing "Artic Silver 5", just applied some of my fabulous "Artic Silver 5", "Artic Silver 5" saved my babies from a house fire. In all the Amazon reviews, nobody mentions the paste that comes with the product. Thing is, I can get this cooler with one-day shipping with Amazon Prime, where if I got that As5 past I would have to wait 3-5 days. All my parts are coming in tomorrow and I want it running by then.

If it is just a 3-5 degrees difference between the stock paste and As5 I couldn't see it bothering me. I don't even plan to OC. Just want to try to expand the life of my 3570k cpu.

More about : thermal paste 212

September 4, 2012 10:23:09 PM

The 212+ stock thermal paste isn't bad at all.
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:24:29 PM

Honestly, it's fine. Yes, AS5 is better (and it's all I use personally), but not so much that you need to get it.
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 10:36:18 PM

Actually AS5 is likely a worse compound. I used to use AS5 but now there are so many better performing options that also don't conduct electricity which can be an issue with those whom apply to much paste. Most modern silicon based compounds fair better.

Don't worry about it just use the included paste.

Here is a decent comparison if you are interested but I do not now what paste comes with the 212+.

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-thermal-paste-review-compar...
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:42:38 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

Based on what I'm reading here if you move from that paste to a higher quality product you will shave a large amount off your temperatures. In this particular review that paste is at the bottom of the chart.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound...

In this roundup that paste does a little bit better but the performance is still fairly mediocre. If you don't care about gaining maybe 3-5* C worth of performance then just use the stock paste, it'll do the job.

BTW I'm very active on [H]ard|Forum so you can find me there. I just saw this post and it was begging to be answered.
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:44:13 PM

when you read the review of the crappy goo they used inside the chip cover, then you realize it doesn't matter so much-especially since you are not overclocked.

An analogy is like people getting hell bent over super exotic speaker wires, but then when they open up the speakers or receiver, they then see the piece of super crappy wire going from the connector to the actual audio components.

That being said, you just need some goo around should you make a mess during your install and need to cleanup and reapply.
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:46:51 PM

I used the stock CoolerMaster paste with my Hyper N520, it works fine. As said above the difference between thermal pastes is rather small these days, with a 3 to 5 degree difference at most, usually the difference is 1 or 2 degrees. Unless you are trying to push a very heavy overclock the difference isn't really significant.

You don't really need the Arctic Silver, just use the CoolerMaster paste, you'll be fine.
m
l
September 5, 2012 9:15:42 AM

logan832 said:
I am sick of hearing "Artic Silver 5", just applied some of my fabulous "Artic Silver 5", "Artic Silver 5" saved my babies from a house fire. In all the Amazon reviews, nobody mentions the paste that comes with the product. Thing is, I can get this cooler with one-day shipping with Amazon Prime, where if I got that As5 past I would have to wait 3-5 days. All my parts are coming in tomorrow and I want it running by then.

If it is just a 3-5 degrees difference between the stock paste and As5 I couldn't see it bothering me. I don't even plan to OC. Just want to try to expand the life of my 3570k cpu.

I never knew this forum could be so fun. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it its only small difference in temps, however if you don't plan on overclocking can i ask why you got a K edition CPU?
m
l
September 5, 2012 9:47:43 AM

BuddiLuva said:
I never knew this forum could be so fun. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it its only small difference in temps, however if you don't plan on overclocking can i ask why you got a K edition CPU?

Just to be future proof in case I ever do decide to overclock.
m
l
September 5, 2012 10:42:34 AM

logan832 said:

I just did a build with a 3570k and a 212 evo, so I assume it's the same paste. I am getting idles of around 35c and after playing csgo for a couple hours hwmonitor had a max of 50c. I am going to go ahead and say the coolermaster paste works fine.
m
l
September 8, 2012 12:26:52 AM

It works fine,i used it with my build also.
m
l
!