How do I create an icon on my desktop that links up directly to a specific
web site by also using a pic that's not an icon.

Right-click Desktop, New shortcut. In the location, type the URL.
-or-
Visit that particular site using IE, and right-click the page, click "Create shortcut"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User