• Logitech 5500

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Creative Labs S750

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I currently have an Logitech Z640, not too long ago upgraded my pc monitor to a sony fw900 24in crt, I just got my new sound card a Sound Blaster X-FI platinum wich I have not installed yet, still in box waiting to get new speakers. The current speakers are not up to par with such a nice screen I just got. I got the video now I need the audio. I want better more clearer and powerfull sound. My options are.

Logitech 5500 $250
Klipsch Promedia 5.1 ultra 5.1 $300
Creative Labs (cambridge sound works) S750 $300 after $100 Mail In Rebate

I hear the klipsch have awesome sound, haven't jumped on one since there's so many stories about the subwoofer having a tendency of Dying. I have listened to the 5500 but the store didn't have neither of the other speakers I liked for testing. My boss has the S750, just tested a movie that I brought in, kung fu hustle it sounded really good, for some reason i felt the maximum volume would have been nice if they could have gone a bit louder. Building my own system would have been nice but it be really stretching the budget bacause just getting a good sub will run at least $200, and any decent receiver starts at $200, then you still need speakers.
My uses will be Mostly gaming, movies and small percentage to listening music. My thoughts on the speakers, I am not a big fan of the S750 control pad, a bit primitive using buttons instead of knobs, the subwoofer is powerfull, you could feel the lightining in the movie, in some fighting parts you could feel the air blowing out of the sub, the had it under the desk. Honestly I have not tried the klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra, only the 2.1 set wich sounded really good, liked the responsive sub. I listened to the 5500 and I cannot judge it well since it was only connected to hiphop music, I did noticed the sub and the center channel had a tendency of overpowering the satelites, the set did go loud. I am looking forward to your responses and thanks for posting.

halcyon

Splendid
I'd say go with either the Klipsch or the Logitechs. I've heard about the Klipsch subs dying and the connections to the satellites not being very durable.

With that in mind, if those 3 were my choices I'd likely go for the Logitech's (and get a descent extended warranty, if I could).

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Creative S750 if you want better sats.

Klipschs if you want a better sub.

Logitech if...you like the look.

As for the movie sounding weak, this is just simple physics. Small satellites have very low sensitivity and cannot produce good volume on a uncompressed/high dynamic range source. You can keep feeding more and more power but you hit a steep wall from power compression.

If you want something with good dispersion properties and can get loud and accurate with low distortion, you should look at bookshelves or floorstanders rather than computer speakers. For highly compressed sources with a very low range of output frequencies like mp3s or gaming sound, it's easier to hit higher volumes. For a small room, you can reinforce the volume of your computer satellites theoretically by 30% by putting them near corners or the wall if you find the volume weak.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Too bad you can't have the control pannel of the logitech, the sub of the klipsch and the sats of the S750, I don't wanna spends on a bookshelf/receiver combo because I'm also buying a new receiver for my house, the old ones junk, I am going for a denon 2807, and I'm going with my friend to the cambridge sound works outlet, they always have a clearance sale once a month. As for the logitech's they are on nice set of speakers but I am not a fan of the look of the single drive speaker that looks like a cone, Do you guys think is true that klipsch still has a design problems in the promedia ultra's 5.1? I just wanna invest in a really good set of speaker's so I can watch movies and play games. I am not worried about codecs wich is the logitech's 5500 strong point, I am gonna use the sound card and will not strap any of the speakers to x-box ps2, dvd ect, that's why I'm getting a receiver. I want the best quality audio without complications.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Do you guys think is true that klipsch still has a design problems in the promedia ultra's 5.1?

I'm sure Klipsch has fixed it (as well as they can). But you'd have to buy it directly from them. Anytime you buy retail or from a online storage, obviously the risk of getting old stock is high.

Too bad you can't have the control pannel of the logitech, the sub of the klipsch and the sats of the S750

The control panel is just an input decoder. You can put together a klipsch/soundworks system off of parts from ebay and even throw in a decoder if you want. Then again, you could do much better than PC speakers aka "transistor radios" if you are willing to cobble something together.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I wen't to klipsch site, they want $350 for em, zipzoomfly has em for $300 but are backordered means new stock. Anyways wich system would you get from the listed above?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I would get the S750 probably as Klipsch satellites are a bit uneven upper response with their horn tweeters, though you do give up a little bit of the sub quality for a mix of games (7.1) and music (stereo). For movies I probably wouldn't get any of them.

The poll results are pretty funny, but not surprising.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Gonna test my old receiver directly with the sound card, but I still wan't a stand alone setup because I'm already gonna inverst in a receiver for the tv. I like the sound control of the logitech but I think the S750 sounds a bit cleaner, I wish they would update the speaker line, we haven't seen anything new pc speaker-wise in years. By now they should have had reference speakers and close to 700watts.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
well since i own them i say get the s750's. sure the control pod sucks but i get used to it. also note the settings get reset when you switch the power completely off and also resets when you you switch it on sometimes for no reason although they might have fixed that by now.

the bass could be better as it doesn't go as low or sound as clear as i would like but for games it rocks. just get the creative you know you want to.

Only thing that draws me away from the 5500 is that if you remove the face off the center speaker it looks like a metal boob in the center of the speaker, If there was two id feel better but one looks funny. So do you ever shut off your S750 I hear it sucks a lotta juice when it's idle.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
i sometimes put them in standby when not using them. then again everything in my comp draws alot of power so whats a little more.

If you where to buy a new set all over again would you still have gotten the S750?

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Looks like nobody likes the klipsch'es Here's an interesting question when the 5500 are turned off does all the setting reset or stay same, and will unplugging it reset setting? Would the sub be better of the s750 or the 5500. Looks like S750 and 5500 are neck to neck.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I think I'm leaning towards the S750 because they have the best sats, I live in a medium apartmend and don't wanna set up the sub too aggresively and piss off the neighborgs. My other idea was I am getting a new receiver for the tv, maybe also hook it up to the pc sound card and use it as zone 2

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I have Z-5450, very similar to 5500 but with wireless rear sats.

I'm very happy with them, the sub is cool and so is the control box. The sats are ok, but if you are really fussy you could buy a couple of higher end bookshelf speakers for the front left and right channels to add a bit more width to the stereo image.

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Looks like the tables are turning, 5500 is leaning on the heavy side. Klipsch gow owned big time. I might get the new receiver tomorrow gonna experiment. What makes it tougher is that the S750 used to cost $100 more now that theyre on sale for $300 and the Logitech for $260 (went up) shipped it puts them close enough in price range. Honestly technology is advancing but somehow speaker audio technology has slowed down. HeadPhone are the best option out there but with theyr high price just to get in the market, the hassle of having to be wired to the pc limits some of your mobility and that most ppl seem to like to play louder thus slowly deteriorating theyr hearing.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I have the 5500's, I'd considered the klipsche and other alternatives and ended up with these. But I have to say I didn't regret it one bit... I've had people run into my room from across the house shouting "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??!".

Not only do these sound fantastic as far as I am concerned, but they are very connectable and the control panel/decoder box is great. They hook up via a 2m toslink optical cable to the front panel of my Audigy 2. My laptop uses coaxial digital. I can verify that the logitechs do store settings when off: volume levels for the whole system, sub, centre and rear satellites, the input and effects selected and their settings.

Wow, I'm really plugging these things... well I have to say my experience with the other systems is limited at best. I don't care! Swinging these into Boost and watching the sub's bass reflex port eat my trousers is fantastic. These have also made a member of my family feel sick after standing in the room when some heavy drum n' bass was playing.

The 'boobs' are polished aluminium phase plugs. Pretty much there for helping the sound ease out right and also for cooling the coils inside a little. If you ask me, they look nice. :)

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
well since i own them i say get the s750's. sure the control pod sucks but i get used to it. also note the settings get reset when you switch the power completely off and also resets when you you switch it on sometimes for no reason although they might have fixed that by now.

the bass could be better as it doesn't go as low or sound as clear as i would like but for games it rocks. just get the creative you know you want to.

"the control pod sucks but i get used to it" --> Agree put as you said you get used to it

"the bass could be better as it doesn't go as low or sound as clear as i would like but for games it rocks" --> 8O That's the funniest thing i have ever heard :lol: :lol:

Go for the s750 they are awesome! I have them for more than 3 months and i am very happy.

p.s. With all that bass you get you will have to lower it from the settings or from the control pod :wink:

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Is that lowered for your own listening pleasure or for the comfort of those around you? :) That control pod seems a little lax in features... the S750's are more powerful than the logitech 5500's by a margin but would you hear the difference? The amplifier in the 5500's is actually overrated for the speakers it connects to explaining the Boost function somewhat) and a peak output power of 1010 watts RMS. There is some serious sound to be enjoyed there! I shall be biased and recommend the 5500's...

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I bought Klipsch Promedia 4.1 maybe in like... 2002? 2001? maybe 2000

And boy are they great. I ended up taking apart the amp (easy) and removing the two subwoofers and just running monster cable out of the amp to a Bassworx ported box with a 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch 3 (2005) subwoofer. The system stays cool and doesn't give me any problems.

BUT

I did have one problem... after a year the control pod went a bit wonky and I hear static when i turn the volume up and down. But once the volume is at a loud as hell listening level I can go back to cranking up the bass boost and running around with a shotgun in CSS :)

I would recommend Klipsch for sure!

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
What was making me lean towards the S750 was the sats, and the 5500 the control pad, it feels like being at a candy store each one has a unique taste. Does the subwoofer of the S750 make the floor vibrate when in low use, I ask this because I noticed the it's aiming towards the floor and then has side port, Logitech has the intimidating side firing single drive that looks intimidating 10in drive with a 12in grill. Keep posting your comments, thank you.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
id go for logitech ive got the z680's and i know thay are loud as they make my house shake

But...Bose is better.

the S750's are more powerful than the logitech 5500's by a margin but would you hear the difference?

I'm fairly sure a pair of bookshelves will go louder and with less distortion using 10W of clean power. Power ratings mean nothing if you don't know the sensitivities of the speakers in question. Not to mention, I PC speaker wattage is highly overrated as most of it goes to the subwoofer, which is why max SPLs dont look very impressive.

peak output power of 1010 watts RMS.

I think peak output RMS is an oxymoron.

halcyon

Splendid
Looks like the tables are turning, 5500 is leaning on the heavy side. Klipsch gow owned big time. I might get the new receiver tomorrow gonna experiment. What makes it tougher is that the S750 used to cost $100 more now that theyre on sale for $300 and the Logitech for $260 (went up) shipped it puts them close enough in price range. Honestly technology is advancing but somehow speaker audio technology has slowed down. HeadPhone are the best option out there but with theyr high price just to get in the market, the hassle of having to be wired to the pc limits some of your mobility and that most ppl seem to like to play louder thus slowly deteriorating theyr hearing.

Headphones can be nice and you don't have to spend too much to get really good sound. Using a descent pair of cans and a little headphone amp will totally take you there. I spent $400 on the set but its easy to catch upgrade-itis but I'm happy enough.

I understand that most people do listen to their cans too loudly that's a shame. Here's a tip. If you're listening and you can't hear yourself when speaking at a normal volume you're listening too loudly, and therefore risking hearing damage and Tinnitus.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
the S750's are more powerful than the logitech 5500's by a margin but would you hear the difference?

I'm fairly sure a pair of bookshelves will go louder and with less distortion using 10W of clean power. Power ratings mean nothing if you don't know the sensitivities of the speakers in question. Not to mention, I PC speaker wattage is highly overrated as most of it goes to the subwoofer, which is why max SPLs dont look very impressive.

If that's the case, I've yet to see these bookshelves. A loudspeaker can only move so much air based on its surface area and throw distance. The drivers in the Logitechs are highly efficient, I know that much, the satellites housings are all ported for faster airflow and probably overall more pushing power. Max SPL for the thing as a whole is >115dB according to Logitech's website. The subwoofer in the Logitech's case is well balanced for wattage coming in at 188watts RMS, with the satellites totalling about 317watts or about 62ish per unit, 69 center. It's probably more likely to be a bad combination of frequency response or selected crossover frequency that would make such a combination sound bad, but that's not the case here either, as they sound fantastic and they sound fantastic incredibly, incredibly loud, and in my experience with zero distortion even when entering boost.

Does the subwoofer of the S750 make the floor vibrate when in low use, I ask this because I noticed the it's aiming towards the floor and then has side port, Logitech has the intimidating side firing single drive that looks intimidating 10in drive with a 12in grill. Keep posting your comments, thank you.

Can't vouch for the S750, but I'd assume a definite yes! But it's the same case for the Logitechs as well, probably all these speakers. Perhaps it's less intense, but I'd say the vibrations in the room as a whole are what is more likely to be transmitted through floors than just the air the sub is firing initially. You could always stick the sub face-down and compare it ;) or put the S750's sub on it's side... heheh.

MacD911

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Logitech Speaker X-530 5.1 / 70 W RMS Retail

Technical Specifications

Total RMS power: 70 watts RMS
Satellites: 45 watts RMS (2 x 7.4 watts front, 15.5 watts center, 2 x 7.4 watts rear)
Subwoofer: 25 watts RMS
Total peak power: 140 watts
Frequency response: 40Hz - 20kHz

Logitech® Z-5500 Digital

Product Specifications

Total RMS power: 505 watts RMS
Satellites: 317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center)
Subwoofer: 188 watts RMS
Total Peak power: 1010 watts
Maximum SPL: >115 dB
Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz
Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
Input impedance: 8,000 ohms

Don.t think so.... :?