CPUTIN and Core Temps

blazert

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
So i'm monitoring my CPU temps and I'm wondering.Should I monitor the CPUTIN temp or core temps?My cores temperature is 70C max and my CPUTIN temp is 76C max from what I noticed with CPUID HWMONITOR .My CPU's model max temperature is 62C.Does it mean the core or the cputin temp?Should I be worried it will get damaged?

If what you are saying is true, it means you're overheating. I take it you have an AMD CPU or maybe an older Intel processor, they shouldn't go above 62 celsius. Double check your temps with another program like CoreTemp or RealTemp. If the cores are still exceeding 62 celsius, you will need to take action to fix the high temperatures if you want to avoid damaging your CPU.

Double check your CPU cooler and make sure that it is securely fastened. Reapply the thermal paste if you have to remount the cooler. If you didn't use thermal paste when installing your cooler, you need to, otherwise the cooler will not work at full efficiency, and you get high temperatures.

Finally, you will need to check the airflow in your case. One way of doing this is to take the side off your case, and put a desktop fan beside it, run the fan with the computer on and see if it improves your temps. If your temps improve with the desktop fan, then you probably need to consider cleaning up any clutter in the case, dust out the air intakes, and maybe adding additional case fans.

blazert

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Yeah mate.I know all these.Tomorrow I'll apply a new thermal paste just to be sure I applied it correctly.But still I want an answer.My cpu is AMD Phenom 6 core.I've read its max temperature is 62C.Does this mean 62C Core temps or CPUTIN?

The rated maximum of 62 is for the CPUTIN sensor, also known as the TCase sensor. CPUTIN on HWMonitor does tend to be buggy though, so take that reading with a grain of salt.

There is a bit of a temperature gradient between the case temperature and the core temperature, with the core temps being a bit higher compared to the case temp, though no more than 5 degrees. For example Core temps of 67 degrees would be right on the line for what AMD considers to be safe. Since you are exceeding 70 celsius on your cores, you are definitely going above AMD's spec, so you'll want to take steps to lower your temps.

blazert

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the answer.
Yeah I really need to lower the temperature.What I did wrong is I didnt remove the old thermal paste before applying the new one and I used the spread method which isnt the best method for my CPU as I read in arctic silver's website.Also is there any kind of software that will see if my CPU is damaged?I'm kind of scared since my CPU has these temps for like a week.Also,(just saying,might be helpful) when the core temps reach like 66-67C the game I'm playing starts lagging.So when it becomes too hot it slows down.

I doubt your CPU is damaged. CPU damage due to heat at temperatures like yours only really occurs after long term use, longer than a week. To cause heat damage in the short term your temps would have to shoot up past the thermal throttling point, to something like 90+ Celsius.

If your CPU is damaged, you will know as you will start getting things like system instability, error messages when running your software, blue screens of death, all that fun stuff. You can use stress testing utilities like Prime95 to verify that your CPU is functioning properly. Watch your temps though, Prime95 pushes your CPU to 100%, so it will make your CPU run rather warm.

blazert

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks a lot for the answers.One last question.
When I changed my fan and applied the thermal paste I didnt remove the old one so I just applied over it.Although there wasnt much left from the old one.Also,I applied it with the spreading method and at the arctic silver says the right way to apply it in my CPU is the dot method.Keep in mind I didnt use arctic silver,I used a white one that came with the CPU fan.Do you think applying a new one with the dot method will make a difference?

You have to clean off all the old thermal paste before applying the new paste. The dot method works the best for coolers with flat bottoms. Just put a pea sized dot on the center of the CPU and let the cooler's weight distribute the paste.

If your cooler has a grooved bottom with direct contact heatpipes, you may want to try spreading a thin layer on the top of the CPU, as the dot method might not lead to even distribution of the paste if the bottom of your cooler has grooves.

I have done the spread method with a flat bottomed cooler, and it also worked well, your problems likely come from the fact you didn't clean off the old paste before applying the new paste. Either method should deliver acceptable temperatures, though the dot method is considered the optimal way to do it. If you do choose to spread the paste, make sure it is a very thin layer, and that it is spread evenly. Common tools used to spread the paste include credit cards, or a fingertip in a vinyl or latex glove will also work.

blazert

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Yeah,I'm a bit confused since the CPU Fan I bought(that had the thermal paste) had a manual that said I should spread it.Although the arctic silver website says the right way for my CPU is the dot method.Also many people say what you said,the optimal way is the dot method.Checked a store's website and it sells Prolimatech Thermal Paste only.Is it good?