Sign in with
Your question

$800 - $1000 Gaming Computer

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2012 9:58:32 PM

Hi All,
In hopes to save a few bucks, I've decided to try my hand at building my own computer (or have a friend build it while I stay back and watch). Thanks in advance for any help :love: 

Approximate Purchase Date: End of May 2012

Budget Range: $800 - $1000 (after rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most of the Blizzard games (SC2, WOW, D3), Civilization, Sims 3, Surfing the Web, Watching movies.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, PSU (Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified), RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600) - not sure if that's enough RAM since I've read that 8GB is the general normal for gaming.

I do have a "XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card" I'm not certain if this can support dual monitors and the games I listed above. I am willing to buy a better graphics card.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg or Microcenter.

Parts Preferences: Don't have a preference.

Overclocking: No, since I'm new at this, I don't want to tempt fate.

SLI or Crossfire: No, same as OC.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like to the computer to be able to play the games listed above in high/ultra resolution. I would like this computer to last a good while before I need to upgrade again.

This is what I've looked at so far:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R $116.16
Motherboard: ASRock's Z77 Extreme6 $159.99
CPU: Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor ($189.99 at microcenter)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB $79.99
SDD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120 GB $109.99
BD player: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM $57.99 (I would like to watch my Blu ray movies on my computer if possible)
Graphics Card: Uncertain if I need to upgrade (currently using a HD 6770)

Current Total: $656.12

I don't want to overspend however I'm willing to put down the cash now rather than budgeting now and having problems in the future.

And again thanks for the help in advance.
May 17, 2012 10:16:28 PM

Go for 8gigs (4x2) of RAM.

For the SSD I would recommend M4 Crucial 128 Gigs, It's better.

I guess if you want to upgrade you're card so you can play on multiple monitors more efficiently go for something like a GTX 670. But those games aren't very demanding so you might be okay with a 6770.

Everything else seems fine to me. Good luck.
m
l
May 17, 2012 11:04:35 PM

Do you think I would need a cooler for this build or is that only for OC and Crossfire/SLI? If I do need a cooler, will my case be able to fit it in?
This is the cooler I'm looking at: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Regarding the SSD, I looked up it up in Newegg and there were 3 different types.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't tell the difference between the three... other than price. Can you point out the one you were recommending?

Regarding RAM - Since it's recommended to get 8GB, should I just get another 4GB (2 X 2GB) or a 8GB (2 X 4GB)?

Thanks for your response :) 
m
l
!