Cingular contract restraints?

Hi there,
I'm in a situation where I need to switch TO Cingular in my area. My problem
is, I really need to functionality of the upcoming WM5 devices.

So, here's my question:

Would I be able to buy a phone like the SMT5600, (on ebay for instance)
bring it to Cingular, and sign up for service with no contract? Then, when
the device I want is released (rumor has it sometime in October), would I be
able to buy that device for the promo price by signing a two year contract
at that point, keeping my same number?

I'm just not sure if Cingular would let me do that.

Thanks!

Chester
17 answers Last reply
More about cingular contract restraints

    In article <JZfHe.12028$oZ.8778@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Chester" <chester.hull@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > I'm in a situation where I need to switch TO Cingular in my area. My problem
    > is, I really need to functionality of the upcoming WM5 devices.
    >
    > So, here's my question:
    >
    > Would I be able to buy a phone like the SMT5600, (on ebay for instance)
    > bring it to Cingular, and sign up for service with no contract? Then, when
    > the device I want is released (rumor has it sometime in October), would I be
    > able to buy that device for the promo price by signing a two year contract
    > at that point, keeping my same number?
    >
    > I'm just not sure if Cingular would let me do that.

    Yes, they will.

    Make sure the phone covers Cingular's frequencies and is not subsidy
    locked to another (or any) carrier.

    In <elmop-7302B0.23183831072005@nntp1.usenetserver.com> on Sun, 31 Jul 2005
    23:18:38 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <JZfHe.12028$oZ.8778@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "Chester" <chester.hull@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >> I'm in a situation where I need to switch TO Cingular in my area. My problem
    >> is, I really need to functionality of the upcoming WM5 devices.
    >>
    >> So, here's my question:
    >>
    >> Would I be able to buy a phone like the SMT5600, (on ebay for instance)
    >> bring it to Cingular,

    Yes, if it's unlocked.

    >> and sign up for service with no contract?

    No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.

    >> Then, when
    >> the device I want is released (rumor has it sometime in October), would I be
    >> able to buy that device for the promo price by signing a two year contract
    >> at that point, keeping my same number?

    Kinda -- you can "bank" the credit when you sign up and apply it later.

    >>> and sign up for service with no contract?
    >
    > No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.
    >
    >>> Then, when
    >>> the device I want is released (rumor has it sometime in October), would
    >>> I be
    >>> able to buy that device for the promo price by signing a two year
    >>> contract
    >>> at that point, keeping my same number?
    >
    > Kinda -- you can "bank" the credit when you sign up and apply it later.

    What does that mean? Do you mean that I would have to sing a one year
    contract today, and in October, when the device I really want is released, I
    could extend my contract for two years, but I wouldn't get the discounted
    price on the device until the end of my first year contract was up?
    Something like that?

    THanks for the help!

    Chester

    In <YFoHe.12144$oZ.706@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Aug 2005
    12:35:04 GMT, "Chester" <chester.hull@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.

    >> Kinda -- you can "bank" the credit when you sign up and apply it later.
    >
    >What does that mean? Do you mean that I would have to sing a one year
    >contract today, and in October, when the device I really want is released, I
    >could extend my contract for two years, but I wouldn't get the discounted
    >price on the device until the end of my first year contract was up?
    >Something like that?

    It means you sign up for SIM-only service and bank the credit toward a later
    purchase phone, $50 for a 1-year contract or $100 for a 2-year contract. This
    is of course only practical if you have/get a suitable handset to use in the
    meantime.

    In my case I did this and continued to use my unlocked Sony Ericsson Z600.
    I bought a Motorola V551 with my credit when it came out, but it wasn't enough
    better than my Z600, so I returned it and re-banked the credit. I'm now
    waiting for the V360, which will hopefully become available later this year.

    John,
    Thanks for the answers, that helps a lot.

    Follow-up question about phones. Will a GSM phone that works on, or is
    locked to, the AT&T network work on Cingular?

    I'm looking at buying a Audiovox SMT5600, but it says it's for AT&T. Even
    though the phone is a GSM phone, 850/1800/1900 model.

    I am just not positive how the buyout affects devices like this.

    Thanks a lot for the help!

    Chester

    In <9FvHe.12274$oZ.9021@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Aug 2005
    20:32:05 GMT, "Chester" <chester.hull@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Follow-up question about phones. Will a GSM phone that works on, or is
    >locked to, the AT&T network work on Cingular?

    It will work on Cingular only if unlocked.

    >I'm looking at buying a Audiovox SMT5600, but it says it's for AT&T. Even
    >though the phone is a GSM phone, 850/1800/1900 model.
    >
    >I am just not positive how the buyout affects devices like this.

    Look for an unlocking service on the Internet.

    > >> and sign up for service with no contract?
    >
    > No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.

    Actually, if you call Cingular, you will most likely find that they offer post-paid
    accounts with no contract if you provide your own compatible equipment. I checked
    last year or earlier this year (don't remember) and I could choose from any current
    Cingular plan advertised, but I would not get mobile-to-mobile minutes unless I
    signed a contract. That's better than most carriers.

    TH

    In <42F03787.954B1447@example.net> on Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:18:31 -0400,
    Tropical Haven <email@example.net> wrote:

    >> No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.
    >
    >Actually, if you call Cingular, you will most likely find that they offer post-paid
    >accounts with no contract if you provide your own compatible equipment. I checked
    >last year or earlier this year (don't remember) and I could choose from any current
    >Cingular plan advertised, but I would not get mobile-to-mobile minutes unless I
    >signed a contract. That's better than most carriers.

    Cingular used to allow new post-paid with no commitment (month-to-month), but
    started requiring a minimum one-year contract at least a year ago.

    John Navas wrote:

    > >> No, postpaid is a minimum 1-year contract.
    > >
    > >Actually, if you call Cingular, you will most likely find that they offer post-paid
    > >accounts with no contract if you provide your own compatible equipment. I checked
    > >last year or earlier this year (don't remember) and I could choose from any current
    > >Cingular plan advertised, but I would not get mobile-to-mobile minutes unless I
    > >signed a contract. That's better than most carriers.
    >
    > Cingular used to allow new post-paid with no commitment (month-to-month), but
    > started requiring a minimum one-year contract at least a year ago.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    I actually called Cingular today, using the 866-246-4852 number. I followed the options
    to inquire about new service, and asked if Cingular still offered no-contract post-paid
    plans. I was told they are still available if you are providing your own *compatible*
    equipment, you can sign up for nation plans starting at 39.99 per month with 450 daytime
    minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited night/weekend minutes starting at 9
    pm, with a similar plan available for 59.99 with 900 daytime minutes instead of 450.
    All activation fees will still apply.

    TH
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <42F12C69.68B0A893@example.net>,
    Tropical Haven <email@example.net> wrote:

    > John Navas wrote:
    >
    > > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    > > >Actually, if you call Cingular, you will most likely find that they offer
    > > >post-paid
    > > >accounts with no contract if you provide your own compatible equipment. I
    > > >checked
    > > >last year or earlier this year (don't remember) and I could choose from
    > > >any current
    > > >Cingular plan advertised, but I would not get mobile-to-mobile minutes
    > > >unless I
    > > >signed a contract. That's better than most carriers.
    > >
    > > Cingular used to allow new post-paid with no commitment (month-to-month),
    > > but
    > > started requiring a minimum one-year contract at least a year ago.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    > > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
    >
    > I actually called Cingular today, using the 866-246-4852 number. I followed
    > the options
    > to inquire about new service, and asked if Cingular still offered no-contract
    > post-paid
    > plans. I was told they are still available if you are providing your own
    > *compatible*
    > equipment, you can sign up for nation plans starting at 39.99 per month with
    > 450 daytime
    > minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited night/weekend minutes
    > starting at 9
    > pm, with a similar plan available for 59.99 with 900 daytime minutes instead
    > of 450.
    > All activation fees will still apply.
    >
    > TH

    How DARE you contradict John Navas! John Navas knows all, sees all! By
    definition John Navas is correct, and you are nothing but rabbit
    pellets. BEWARE, those who would LIE by saying that John Navas is wrong!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <42F12C69.68B0A893@example.net> on Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:43:21 -0400,
    Tropical Haven <email@example.net> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:

    >> Cingular used to allow new post-paid with no commitment (month-to-month), but
    >> started requiring a minimum one-year contract at least a year ago.

    >I actually called Cingular today, using the 866-246-4852 number. I followed the options
    >to inquire about new service, and asked if Cingular still offered no-contract post-paid
    >plans. I was told they are still available if you are providing your own *compatible*
    >equipment, you can sign up for nation plans starting at 39.99 per month with 450 daytime
    >minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited night/weekend minutes starting at 9
    >pm, with a similar plan available for 59.99 with 900 daytime minutes instead of 450.
    >All activation fees will still apply.

    I stand corrected. Thanks. I'm guessing the company went back to its prior
    practice post-merger as a way to attract new subscribers; i.e., the market at
    work. :)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Hi Guys, you are all way ahead of me technically but my questions are sort of
    related to your to train of discussion so maybe one of you can help.
    I am a total neophyte when it comes to cell phones. My wife and I are
    retired and will be doing a lot of travelling in the southern tier of states
    and into Mexico, so we have no fixed or billing address, therefore the best
    option for us seems to be the Cingular Go-Phone program. But we don't want to
    buy their phones when we can buy unlocked phones from e-bay for as little a
    $1 per phone. Several questions...what brand and model of phone would be best
    suited to the Cingular network and provide the strongest and best range of
    service .....we don't want or give a rats a... about frilly bells and
    whistles..as long as the thing rings and displays who is calling and tells me
    how many minutes I have left, thats all we need. Once I purchase this/these
    phones will Cingular activate them ( free of charge ) ? Do they sell me the
    simms or do I buy them from an outside source and install them myself ? I
    heard that you can get different simms for different geographical areas..true
    ? I assume all this would have to work with one of their prepay Go-Phone
    plans, or do they offer post pay plans on the Go-Phone without a contract ?
    I can't give a fixed billing address ....is this going to be a problem ? I
    charge everything on my Visa card and then Visa gets an automatic full
    balance payment from my bank each month, so I don't need to use snail mail at
    all
    Any answers to all or some of my questions would be appreciated
    Dave

    Tropical Haven wrote:

    >[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
    >> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
    >
    >I actually called Cingular today, using the 866-246-4852 number. I followed the options
    >to inquire about new service, and asked if Cingular still offered no-contract post-paid
    >plans. I was told they are still available if you are providing your own *compatible*
    >equipment, you can sign up for nation plans starting at 39.99 per month with 450 daytime
    >minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited night/weekend minutes starting at 9
    >pm, with a similar plan available for 59.99 with 900 daytime minutes instead of 450.
    >All activation fees will still apply.
    >
    >TH
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "David wrote:
    > My wife and I are retired and will be doing a lot of travelling in the
    > southern tier of states and into Mexico, so we have no fixed or billing
    > address.

    What address do you use for your credit card? You can handle it all
    online, but it must have an address associated with it. I'd use that one,
    or get a "box" at a UPS-Store that appears to be a street address.

    I don't get a paper bill for my regular cellphone, so there's no need to go
    prepaid. I walked in to the Cingular store, bought a phone, walked out.
    Went online, changed to paperless billing, and that was it.

    > option for us seems to be the Cingular Go-Phone program. But we don't
    > want to buy their phones when we can buy unlocked phones from e-bay for

    http://www.cellularchoices.net/calling_plans/prepaid_wireless/phones/
    Free phones on prepaid plans.

    http://www.internationalstudent.com/prepaid_phones/simpacks/tips.shtml
    sells just the pre-paid SIMs for T-Mobile, for use in your existing phone.

    > suited to the Cingular network and provide the strongest and best range of

    Why Cingular?

    > heard that you can get different simms for different geographical areas.

    SIMs are best used in their home region because that's where the plan has
    its non-roaming minutes. A regional calling plan is cheaper, but
    restricted to smaller areas. The national plans are a little more
    expensive, and you would always be roaming when you went to Mexico, unless
    you bought a Mexican SIM for use there.

    > I can't give a fixed billing address ....is this going to be a problem ? I

    What is the billing address for your credit card? Your bank account? Your
    drivers license, insurance, auto registration, ...
    You already have an address that's perfectly acceptable. Nothing is going
    to be shipped there if you walk in to a store and buy a phone. I used a
    former residence for quite a while, just because it was in an area that
    would give me the proper plan for my typical usage. Where would you send
    one of the free phones that you want to buy online?

    ---
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <dcu0cu$427$5@blue.rahul.net> on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:13:02 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@XReXXCingu.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >http://www.internationalstudent.com/prepaid_phones/simpacks/tips.shtml
    >sells just the pre-paid SIMs for T-Mobile, for use in your existing phone.
    >
    >> suited to the Cingular network and provide the strongest and best range of
    >
    >Why Cingular?

    Better coverage than T-Mobile.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <524F0684F4623@CellPhoneKB.com> on Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:20:38 GMT, "David B"
    wrote:

    >...what brand and model of phone would be best
    >suited to the Cingular network and provide the strongest and best range of
    >service .....we don't want or give a rats a... about frilly bells and
    >whistles..

    Any of the better phones from Nokia (e.g., 3120, 6010), Sony Ericsson (e.g.,
    T637, Z500a), or Motorola (e.g., V400, V551). Be sure to get phone that's got
    both GSM 850 and GSM 1900 bands, and not locked to some other carrier.

    >Once I purchase this/these
    >phones will Cingular activate them ( free of charge ) ?

    The SIMM is activated, not the phone, and it's usually not free.

    >Do they sell me the
    >simms or do I buy them from an outside source and install them myself ?

    Either way.

    >heard that you can get different simms for different geographical areas..true
    >?

    True, but you're probably better off with a national plan.

    >I can't give a fixed billing address ....is this going to be a problem ?

    It's best if you get at least a temporary address.

    >charge everything on my Visa card and then Visa gets an automatic full
    >balance payment from my bank each month, so I don't need to use snail mail at
    >all

    You can do this with either prepaid or postpaid service as well.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > dold@XReXXCingu.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >>> suited to the Cingular network and provide the strongest and best range of
    >>Why Cingular?

    > Better coverage than T-Mobile.

    I wondered if the OP had done that research, or just stumbled onto
    Cingular. Liberty Wireless has free pre-paid phones, but don't say what
    carrier they use, that I can see.

    (I also see they have a lower-than-free Cingular Motorola V551 on a regular
    plan, which seems like a better deal than the pre-paid for the OP.)

    --
    ---
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > I wondered if the OP had done that research, or just stumbled onto
    > Cingular. Liberty Wireless has free pre-paid phones, but don't say what
    > carrier they use, that I can see.

    It appears that they use Sprint's network. Their rural coverage matches Sprint's,
    and they offer CDMA phones.

    TH

Cingular Devices Internet Service Providers