Odd Wi-Fi Problem

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Hi..
I know someone here has the answer to this..this group always does!! I just recently installed Bellsouth DSL with a Westell Wirespeed Modem. I added a Belkin Wireless G router so I could surf wirelessly on my laptop. Here's the problem...The laptop works great..full speed, etc. However, the desktop..which is hardwired through ethernet ports..will not let me load certain pages. The most annoying is that I can log onto my yahoo email, and even get my yahoo email home page, but it will not load my inbox. I'm also having problems going over two pages deep in Ebay. The pages that will not load on the desktop WILL load on the laptop. I've tried empting the caches in both Mozilla and IE (the web page not loading occurs in both browsers). I've also tinkered with dropping the firewalls and lowering security settings. I’ve also made sure that all the firmware was updated. Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

riser

Illustrious
Hook the DSL line up directly to your desktop and see if that fixes it. If it does, it means you have a problem with your router in most cases. At that point, there are a few settings you can check, but I won't cover that until you try it.

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
There is no problem at all if I go directly from the DSL modem to the desktop. The problem only occurs when I connect the DSL line to the router..and then connect the router to the desktop. The notebook works fine through the wireless access..and I have no problem loading pages with it.

riser

Illustrious
Do a google search on adjusting "MTU" on your computer. That might be your problem.. Do a search on "Windows XP MTU" and it'll tell you how to adjust. IT'll be set to either 1492 or 1500, you might want to set it down to around 1430 just to be safe. Offhand and without searching myself, I'm not sure where the reg key is in XP to edit.

jwally

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
The Westel modem by default tries to keep the connection active. The router also tries to keep the connection active though not by default. I fixed a friends by turning off the "active connection" in the modem off and letting the router keep the connection active.

All of this involved a Linksys router but I would guess the Belkin is similar.

I hope this helps.....

jwally