Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a Mobo for my first gaming Rig. (SLI and AMD FX-8120 Ready)

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 17, 2012 10:45:12 PM

Hello there, I've been thinking about creating my first PC for a long time.
This PC is for gaming, but I won't be doing any hardcore gaming, and Anything above 40FPS is fine with me.
I'll be playing the likes of BF3, Crysis 3 when released, GTA IV with ENB mods and Diablo 3 which doesn't require much power any way.

My budget is some where around £500.
I'm from the UK by the way, so I'll be using UK links for this.

Here is a list of the parts I am currently considering.
AMD FX-8120 - http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/200756465894?var=lv&ltyp... (£127) (I don't want to spend more than £150 on a CPU)

EVGA GTX 570 1.28GB - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef... (£199) ( Don't want to spend more than £200 on a card).

RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skill-Ripjaws-F3-10666CL9S-4GBR... (£18) (I already have 4GB ripjaws lying around my house).

Hard Drive: 2TB for around £70 from a friend.

CASE: CM Storm Enforcer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S9S218/ref=s9_si... (£60)

PSU: Bought a Corsair 800W PSU from a friend for £40.

MOTHER BOARD: Here's where I need your help, I need something that can handle all of the above, while also providing SLI support for TWO GTX 570's in the future, the budget is £100).


That's about it really, for now.
I'm not going to be overclocking any of this equipment, as it is more than enough for me at this current state.
I'm also not going to be installing an after market CPU cooler, unless the FX8120 overheats while not OC'd, will this happen? As I have heard unsure reviews about it.

Thanks for having a look at this guys, any recommendations are welcome! :) 
May 17, 2012 10:59:44 PM

Also, if anyone is willing to complete the list, with these two items especially:
AMD FX-8120
EVGA GTX 570 (Single, not SLI).

With a budget of £600 which is roughly $1000.
Thanks.

(Remember, I would like a possible SLI combination in the future, around a year from now).
a c 271 4 Gaming
May 17, 2012 11:17:38 PM

Just wondering - why would you even think about buying an FX-8120 over an i5-2500K or i5-3570K?
Related resources
May 17, 2012 11:21:47 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Just wondering - why would you even think about buying an FX-8120 over an i5-2500K or i5-3570K?


Well, it's mostly to do with my budget.. I want the cheapest possible, and I want a multi tasking PC which is also good at gaming.
How much of a difference would a i5-2500K be? Is it worth the extra cash? How much of an edge would it give over a FX-8120? I'm always looking for recommendations. :) 
a c 271 4 Gaming
May 17, 2012 11:33:50 PM

f2k8 said:
Well, it's mostly to do with my budget.. I want the cheapest possible, and I want a multi tasking PC which is also good at gaming.
How much of a difference would a i5-2500K be? Is it worth the extra cash? How much of an edge would it give over a FX-8120? I'm always looking for recommendations. :) 


Here's a couple of resources that will tell you why it's not a good idea:

- Sub-$200 CPU roundup: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
- FX-8150 after Windows hot fixes: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...
- Overclocking FX-8150 vs. Intel Core i5-2500K: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficienc...
- Energy Efficiency claims explained: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumptio...
- FX-8150 initial benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...
May 17, 2012 11:55:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Here's a couple of resources that will tell you why it's not a good idea:

- Sub-$200 CPU roundup: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
- FX-8150 after Windows hot fixes: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...
- Overclocking FX-8150 vs. Intel Core i5-2500K: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficienc...
- Energy Efficiency claims explained: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumptio...
- FX-8150 initial benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...


I see..
So I should go for the i5 instead?

By the way, I'm also planning to do alot of rendering.. 3D rendering and video rendering.
!