Sign in with
Your question

Should I switch from Intel to AMD?

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2012 3:43:41 AM

Right now I'm running an i5-2400 in my computer, but I want to upgrade soon. I was looking around for CPUs and I just happened to pop into the AMD section and I found out they're a LOT cheaper. I was specifically looking at the FX-4170. How would something like that match up to my current CPU? Would it smash my current one outta the water, or would it be about the same? And would it be smarter to go with AMD other than intel? Also, yes I know I would also need to purchase an AMD MoBo, but those also look cheap.

More about : switch intel amd

a c 182 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
September 5, 2012 3:51:20 AM

SteepledClock said:
Right now I'm running an i5-2400 in my computer, but I want to upgrade soon. I was looking around for CPUs and I just happened to pop into the AMD section and I found out they're a LOT cheaper. I was specifically looking at the FX-4170. How would something like that match up to my current CPU? Would it smash my current one outta the water, or would it be about the same? And would it be smarter to go with AMD other than intel? Also, yes I know I would also need to purchase an AMD MoBo, but those also look cheap.

There are no AMD upgrades from an I5 CPU. In fact, there's no reason to upgrade that CPU at all for a few more years. The only one which will even come close in most applications would be the FX-8150 and it will still be behind in some while drawing far more power.

The reason those CPUs are cheap is because they can't justify a higher price point.
m
l
September 5, 2012 4:02:34 AM

Actually your i5 2400 is the stronger CPU. It would be in your best interest to upgrade to a i5 2500k or the i5 3570k.

Here's a benchmark comparing the i5 2500k with AMD's top end FX processor...The FX 8150. The i5 2500k smokes it in most benchmarks. It lags behind only by a small margin in multithreaded tasks. This is surprising as the AMD should logically have superior performance due to it's supposed 8 core design. Now, take this into consideration with the FX 4170 which only has 4 cores. Not all that appeasing, is it?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=434

i5 2500k/3570k has my vote anyday; erryday. :p 

Unless, if you're on an extremely low budget, then AMD would be a good option. They're cheap for a reason.

Not trying to be a fanboy, just stating cold, hard facts. Just about anyone else in this forum will say the same thing.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 4:02:53 AM

Yeah even that i5 2400 is blowing anything AMD has to offer away at this point. Also taking into consideration the fact that you already have a Intel motherboard, the savings would be negated anyway. It would make absolutely no sense to switch to AMD.
m
l
September 5, 2012 4:09:10 AM

The i5-2400 is still a very decent CPU. What is running slowly that you think you need a CPU upgrade?
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
a c 117 å Intel
September 5, 2012 11:28:56 PM

Switching to AMD is actually a downgrade due to the disparity in performance. Phenom II / FX CPUs are basically as powerful as Intel's Core 2 Duo / Quad CPUs in most benchmarks. However in specific benchmarks that can make use of more than just 4 cores, the FX can perform better. Such as 3D rendering and video encoding.

The best AMD CPUs are on average 29% slower than Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs; assuming the same clock speeds.

I would generally only recommend you switch to AMD CPUs if you are looking for a CPU with a strong integrated graphic core (AMD calls them APUs; Llano and Trinity series). However, the best Trinity APU will only have an integrated graphic core about as powerful (or slightly more) than a Radeon HD 5570. Google to find out how good the Radeon HD 5570 actually is.

While I don't care much for AMD's APUs / CPUs at this point in time, based on my purchase history it seems I have favored AMD (formerly ATI) graphic cards more than nVidia graphic cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 1:57:34 AM

Lol. That would be a downgrade
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 10:23:21 AM

SteepledClock said:

I was specifically looking at the FX-4170 <---- there is a reason its cheap, .. its well ... cheap.

and no reason to upgrade cpus every other year unless your trying to sell your current one before the price drops to nothing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 11:04:47 AM

Do it, I dare you :) 

If you think about moving to AMD, it is prudent to wait until official FX 8350 benches are out (not the photoshoped bulldozer ones). Thereafter make the decision.

But as noob2222 stated resale value is pretty poor, you will already get next to nothing for that i5 2400 such is the market.
m
l
!