Sign in with
Your question
Solved

To build around GeForce GTX560 or buy prebuilt?

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2012 1:30:32 AM

I have a new video card that I won in a contest. It is the GeForce GTX560 1GB. Too bad I couldn't win the rest of the computer too since my current desktop does not have the power or processor to run this.
Therefore the question is can I build a system around this video card for cheap, or go with a pre-built.
For instance a pre-built I have found is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This has the video card (plus a slight upgrade to 2GB) but the problem is that I am scraping the dollars up and $800 is slightly too much.

Will it be possible for me to piece meal a system together based on what I have and keep it below $600?:
video card GeForce GTX 560 (DVI and HDMI outlets)
older flat screen monitor with RGA plug. (will i need to replace this as well?)

I will spend the night researching for parts and prices, but can someone please recommend a build for this video card?
The objective is to use this for gaming; Blizzard games plus EVE online, and watching movies.

Or...
My old computer is a Dell Optiplex GX520, and I considered stripping the case and using it, is that feasible?
Or just replacing the PSU, motherboard, processor, and adding cooling. Is that feasible?
Then I could upgrade the drives at a later date.
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 2:26:03 AM

Yes please do your research and build your own computer around the GTX 560.

The Dell Optiplex GX520 is in a BTX case; not an ATX case. I would not recommend using this case in a new build. Most new builds are around ATX components.

Start looking at Sandy Bridge CPUs and suitable motherboards. Cooler Master HAF 912 is a nice case. Compare it with others at Newegg.

Good luck!
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:15:34 PM

One question answered...I will ditch the old Dell and work towards a new build.

Another question I need an answer for is whether I can still use the old monitor, or will I also need to get the new ?

The old monitor is from the Dell and has a standard RGA plug, whereas it looks like the GTX 560 has only DVI and HDMI outlets. It is a 19 inch LCD (model E193FPc).
Will this affect performance?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 12:20:21 PM

Usually the card comes with a dvi to vga adapter, look in your box to if yours did. If not you can buy one for cheap
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 1:01:21 PM

GTX560 said:
One question answered...I will ditch the old Dell and work towards a new build.

Another question I need an answer for is whether I can still use the old monitor, or will I also need to get the new ?

The old monitor is from the Dell and has a standard RGA plug, whereas it looks like the GTX 560 has only DVI and HDMI outlets. It is a 19 inch LCD (model E193FPc).
Will this affect performance?

Yes, initially stay with your existing monitor. Use an adapter like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
More here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Using an adapter will not affect the computer's performance.
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:03:53 PM

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - Microsoft Software; DVD-ROM $96.48

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - Asus $21.48

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX - Western Digital $79.99

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case (Black) - Thermaltake $44.82

Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 800 Power Supply TR-800P - Thermaltake $99.99

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Gigabyte $143.99

AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+ - FD8120FRGUBOX - AMD $159.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - Corsair $49.99

ALL OF THIS for the total of about $700

Are there any holes, pros-cons, anything I left out?
Does a heat sink come with or do I need to order that too? What kind?

I read a few reviews about that ibuypower package I mentioned earlier and it seemed it had a real cheap power supply in it that had to be replaced, so it doesnt seem like such a good deal anymore.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 2:41:50 PM

What is the wattage of the PSU? I like to see between 500 W and 650 W.

Good decision to walk away from the ibuypower package. Your build will be far superior, you can specify the components you prefer, and it will also give you lots of personal satisfaction.
m
l
May 18, 2012 3:18:50 PM

The PSU is 800 watts, it might be a little overkill, but I was slightly worried that this video card sucks up the power. Plus its a really good price for the power.

The other details are:
Maximum Power: 800 Watts
Form Factor: ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V 2.91
PFC (Power Factor Correction): Active PFC
Fan: 120Mm, 2700rpm ¡À 10%
Connector: 1x 24pin Main Connector; 1x 8pin EPS12V Connector; 1x 4pin ATX12V Connector; 2x 6pin PCI-E Connectors; 2x 6+2pin PCI-E Connectors; 7x 5pin SATA Connectors; 7x 4pin Peripheral Connectors; 1x 4pin FDD Connector

I dont know much about power supplies but this one seems to have decent reviews and I figure it SHOULD be compatible with the same brand case.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 4:50:02 PM

It's fine! The computer will draw only the power it needs, and personally I like some extra capacity in everything. On my i7 computer I have a Corsair HX-850 PSU even though I know very well that an HX-650 will work for me.

Don't be too concerned about matching brands. Pick the components based on specs, performance, price, reviews, and feedback.
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:36:10 PM

Add in free shipping and I just had to order the stuff. Yippee, my first self-build!

Do the processors usually come with a heat sink, or do I need to order one?

Assembly should not be an issue for but I am a little concerned about booting up the drive and operating system.
Will there be instructions with the hard drive ?
Will there be dos or something until I download the windows 7?
I am not clear about this process, is there a tutorial somewhere?

Are there any other little peripherals or details that I have not thought of?

Cheers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 10:19:30 PM

Processors often come with , and without a heatsink/fan unit. The ones without are sold as OEM, the ones with are retail, or boxed versions. The one you selected is a boxed (retail) version so it has a heatsink/fan. I didnt see any of the fx series available as OEM on Newegg right now.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 10:58:08 PM

GTX560 said:
Add in free shipping and I just had to order the stuff. Yippee, my first self-build!

Do the processors usually come with a heat sink, or do I need to order one?

Assembly should not be an issue for but I am a little concerned about booting up the drive and operating system.
Will there be instructions with the hard drive ?
Will there be dos or something until I download the windows 7?
I am not clear about this process, is there a tutorial somewhere?

Are there any other little peripherals or details that I have not thought of?

Cheers

Use this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

The heatsink packaged with the retail boxed version of CPUs are adequate for stock performance. Most builders eventually will do some overclocking of the CPU and will use an after-market heatsink because of better cooling characteristics. Lots of choices at Newegg. Read specs, reviews, and feedback.

Don't forget to use an anti-static grounding wrist strap when you are handling computer parts. And DO NOT place parts on the outer surface of the anti-static bags that they come in. I have heard people say that the outer surface is conductive and might short out boards. and others say that is is fine to do so. I am not taking unnecessary risks regarding this.
May 26, 2012 3:10:34 PM

Best answer selected by GTX560.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:21:00 PM

Thank you!
m
l
!