Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice For AMD FX Build Please

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2012 1:40:12 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am building a new system. I haven't done this in a long time.

Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming Only

Parts Not Required: processor, MB, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country: US

Parts Preferences: Best for my budget, I have already purchased (1) AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz 2x2MB / 8MB L3 & (1) ASUS Crosshair V Formula


Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (dual for now)

Monitor Resolution: 1900x1200

Additional Comments: I plan to run Windows 7, dual GPU's in SLI or Crossfire. Please give me some ideas on RAM, Storage Setup (SSD, RAID or Not), Case, Sound Card, Cooling, Power Supply, NIC, etc...

More about : advice amd build

May 18, 2012 1:53:40 AM

$2000 gaming build and you bought a FX-4100??? Sell the parts you have and buy a 2500k or Ivy bridge CPU if you want. $2000 is a lot of money and you should be buying better performing parts then the 4100.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 1:59:24 AM

If you can then return the fx 4100 and get the 8150 instead

for graphics card the Radeon 7950 . The OC gigabyte model with 3 fans

2 x4 gig of DDR3 1600 MHz running at 1.5 volts or less

750 -0 850 watt power supply . Corsair or seasonic
m
0
l
Related resources
May 18, 2012 2:03:13 AM

I want to over clock and thought the AMD would be a better choice.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:04:42 AM

Yes I would get a 8150 instead. As far as the FX I can say that my FX-8120 does great with every game I have played NO need to get 2500k or Ivy bridge CPU for gaming. The FX-8120-8150 CPU's will do just fine.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:06:38 AM

bryonhowley said:
Yes I would get a 8150 instead. As far as the FX I can say that my FX-8120 does great with every game I have played NO need to get 2500k or Ivy bridge CPU for gaming. The FX-8120-8150 CPU's will do just fine.

+1
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:13:53 AM

OK. Point taken. I ordered the 8150. so, now I have to return the other one.

How about cases? GPU's config, Cooling? Power Supply (considering case and cable lengths) etc...

Thanks for all of the replies guys!
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:33:36 AM

bryonhowley said:
Yes I would get a 8150 instead. As far as the FX I can say that my FX-8120 does great with every game I have played NO need to get 2500k or Ivy bridge CPU for gaming. The FX-8120-8150 CPU's will do just fine.



Which MB are u running? From what I see about both of the choices that i made. Well... I may have messed up. :pfff: 
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:42:27 AM

Antec Illusion 300 is a beautiful case with the best airflow I've seen in its price range. Definitely give it a look. And considering your massive budget, you might as well splurge and get the FX-8150.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:42:48 AM

The MB you choose is awesome! I have the fx 4100 clocked at 4.7GHz @ 1.4375 volts, and it's awesome. But it doesn't perform well with crossfire or sli configurations, so the 8120 or the 8150 are deffinetly better choices. Good luck with your build... :) 
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:48:03 AM

SafetyJ said:
Which MB are u running? From what I see about both of the choices that i made. Well... I may have messed up. :pfff: 


The ASUS Crossfire will work with any of the FX CPUs, it should be a good board for overclocking.

For the other stuff, here are some options:
RAM: 8GB of RAM (2x 4GB) at least at 1600mhz but 1866 is better for the FX CPUs.
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster 212 Evo Cpu cooler (for overclocking)
GPU: GTX 670
PSU: Any quality 750w PSU (corsair, antec, etc.)
Storage: I can recommend using an SSD to run your OS, it makes the system much faster. Get a HDD for file storage.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:50:25 AM

@SafteyJ
Listen the AMD CPUs will bottleneck any high end GPUs in CPU intensive games, if this rig is mainly for gaming you'd be better off with Intel setup.
The charts below shows the bottleneck with AMD CPUs


Even in some GPU intensive games, AMD CPUs experience a little drop of FPS since the AA is taxing the GPU


So if you;re considering the AMD rig for gaming, you're in the wrong track.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 2:58:51 AM

tonync_01 said:
The ASUS Crossfire will work with any of the FX CPUs, it should be a good board for overclocking.

For the other stuff, here are some options:
RAM: 8GB of RAM (2x 4GB) at least at 1600mhz but 1866 is better for the FX CPUs.
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster 212 Evo Cpu cooler (for overclocking)
GPU: GTX 670
PSU: Any quality 750w PSU (corsair, antec, etc.)
Storage: I can recommend using an SSD to run your OS, it makes the system much faster. Get a HDD for file storage.


GTX 670 is PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

My board supports: PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)
1 (x4 mode)

can I run this card? or would 2x2GB cards out perform it?
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 3:04:05 AM

SafetyJ said:
GTX 670 is PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

My board supports: PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)
1 (x4 mode)

can I run this card? or would 2x2GB cards out perform it?


This just means it is compatible with the PCI express 3.0 standard, but PCI 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth to handle it. Here is some more info on the card: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev... . I recommended it because it is currently the best value in GPUs. If you are gaming on a single monitor I don't think you will be able to max out this card.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 3:07:24 AM

Just listen, you would experience FPS drops and you won't feel that you have a high end rig cuz AMD CPU will just bottleneck in some games.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 3:15:44 AM

ilysaml said:
Just listen, you would experience FPS drops and you won't feel that you have a high end rig cuz AMD CPU will just bottleneck in some games.


I think he wants to go with AMD, but yes the i5-2500k is the best CPU for a gaming pc.

That being said the FX-8150 shouldn't fall below 60fps at stock clock rate, and will be fine at a moderate overclock.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 3:25:51 AM

tonync_01 said:
I think he wants to go with AMD, but yes the i5-2500k is the best CPU for a gaming pc.

NP, just wanted to point out.
Quote:
That being said the FX-8150 shouldn't fall below 60fps at stock clock rate, and will be fine at a moderate overclock

I don't think so

Also, what's the point from getting 2 high end cards then?
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 6:36:44 AM

Guys, $2000 budget.

3x1080 monitors for eyefinity setup should be around $450 or so. One GTX670 is another $450? $900 for video. That still leaves over a thousand for a 2500k, z68 board, 8GBs of ram, a harddrive, case and PSU. $200, 150ish?, 50, 100, 50?, and another 75 or so. I'm at around $650 or so depending on case and board which means we are still $400+ under budget. Why mess around with AMD CPUs and 7850s when the budget says we don't need to?
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 6:41:48 AM

For all those who say the i5-2500k is not needed for gaming, provide me with one benchmark or review that says the FX 8150 is a better buy than the i5-2500k for gaming. I am fairly positive you won't.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 7:35:02 AM

azeem40 said:
For all those who say the i5-2500k is not needed for gaming, provide me with one benchmark or review that says the FX 8150 is a better buy than the i5-2500k for gaming. I am fairly positive you won't.


The i5-2500k does better in gaming benchmarks because most games are lazy console ports, not utilizing more than 2, 3 or 4 cores or limited by GPU performance anyway.

In terms of raw performance the FX8150 is better than the i5-2500k and with the new console generation coming and more and more PC-friendly games being developed, the FX8150 is not a bad choice.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 7:36:50 AM

I don't think for the next 5 years that more than 2 cores will be utilized for gaming.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 9:28:13 AM

Quote:
The i5-2500k does better in gaming benchmarks because most games are lazy console ports


Better in benchmarks? How about better in games. And who cares what the reason is. If X plays games better then Y, I'll take X every chance I can get.

Quote:
In terms of raw performance the FX8150 is better than the i5-2500k


In terms of Integer performance yes, but then again it has twice as many cores. Floating Point performance is a lot closer.

Quote:
with the new console generation coming and more and more PC-friendly games being developed, the FX8150 is not a bad choice.


Why is that? Everything I've seen says the 2500(k) will give you much better frame rates in games. How do you know that the next gen games will all of sudden change how they are programed and the 81xx will be faster?
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 7:47:36 PM

I would like to run a SSD for C:, I am unclear on whether my board is compatable though. It supports 7 x SATA 6Gb/s. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I am able to run a SSD should I run a RAID Array behind it or 1 HDD?
m
0
l
May 19, 2012 12:41:41 AM

I'd just do the SSD. Put whatever you want to load fast on it (OS, games, etc) and use a normal hdd for storage of your pics, movies, etc. No need for RAID.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 2:55:54 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I recieved my parts yesterday and will begin my build this evening. I took a pic of the gear for u guys but, forgot to put my case and monitor in it. They are a Corsair Carbide 500R and an ASUS 23" LED HD.



I will post build pics if u guys want.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 3:07:19 PM

Looks nice man. How high of an overclock are you shooting for?
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 3:10:19 PM

tonync_01 said:
Looks nice man. How high of an overclock are you shooting for?


I saw a video of a guy getting 4.6GHz stable with this same setup. So, hopefully somewhere in that neighborhood. Any recommendations?
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 3:27:57 PM

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem, I've heard good things about that ASUS motherboard.
m
0
l
May 31, 2012 11:47:41 AM

I got this machine up and running with win7 installed on the ssd, updated the bios installed the video & mouse drivers. I have not hooked up the hdd or done anything else.

-During post, it says "devices not found", gives me the option to enter the bios, then starts win7 with no issues. Why would it say "devices not found?" Shouldn't it detect the SSD & GPU?

-In the bios I noticed that my RAM shows up as 1366 however the RAM I bought should run at 1866. What can I do here?

[AMD FX 8150/Asus Crosshair V Formula/Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866/EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB/Crucial M4 128GB SSD/WD Caviar 1TB Black/Corsair HX 1050/Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo]
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:13:19 AM

I'm not sure about the message "devices not found", does your motherboard manual say anything about it.

For the RAM speed, sometimes you have to manually set the speed and timings to the manufacturer specifications. There are options for this in the bios. However, I would do this after you get everything else working properly.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:41:36 AM

1333 MHz is the default for SB systems. You cannot set RAM speeds above 1600 MHz on SB systems.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 11:51:19 AM

azeem40 said:
1333 MHz is the default for SB systems. You cannot set RAM speeds above 1600 MHz on SB systems.


What is a SB System
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 12:44:28 PM

I got the Ram Speed up to 1600MHz.

Still can't figure out the "Can't Detect Any Devices" message during post. ASUS technical support sucks. The knowledge base for my motherboard is weak and phone in technical support hangs up on you or act like the don't have time to answer your questions. :( 
m
0
l
!