CPU-172600k
MOBO-ASUS p867 deluxe
PSU- cooler master 1200w gold 80
CASE-NZXT full tower
SSD-Crucial 64gb sata III
HDD-W.D. CAviar blue 500GB
External HDD- W.D. 1TB
All the extra jazz

I have a chance to buy two new PNY 1.5GB 580's for 650, what do you think about the deal and about PNY?
Thanks!

:hello:

Without knowing what Kepler brings to the table we can only look at what is currently available. 7970s at ~$600 are, what, 20-30% faster than a 580? For an extra $50 he's going to be 60-80% faster than that. He's going to absolutely be crushing GTX 590 and HD 6990 performance.

Price/performance with $325 580s can't really be beat. At all.

All I'm saying is if I was building a new PC and could get that deal right now, I would do it without question.

EDIT: My local PC shop is having a huge sale, $110 off a Gigabyte 580 1.5gb plus $60 MIR, and it's still $360 after that. And that is a sick deal.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
There's no reason to wait in the computer world. There's no such thing as future proof.

With that said, if you are able to afford it, and are unhappy with your performance - pull the trigger.

6 more months to wait is a long time. Two 580's would max out games for this year, and next year.

Just my 2 cents...

See what the problem is people do not think in terms of efficiency the 7970 on the surface is just 30% faster than a 580 but you fail to factor in the efficiency and OCing ability of the 28nm process. In short the 7970 is a much better purchase with much more future resiliency and being that anything over 60fps is wasted considering that OPs monitor is 60hz that is then the logistical outlook and it in turn becomes about efficiency because todays top end single GPUs offer up ample performance. I am enthralled to see how efficient Nvidias new cards will be however performance is a bit of a moot point realistically because we already know where it stands today and todays cards have ample performance as is. Currently and in the past it's the efficiency that is trailing behind and the prices that are a bit to high so these two things Price/Efficiency should be the focal points of the new Nvidia cards based on how the performance is already there in ample helpings.

I'm sorry but unless you had a special convo with the OP, he never mentioned his monitor. It could very well be a 120hz 3D monitor. Or maybe a 2560x1600. Or maybe he's running 3 monitors. There is always room for more power to be used, and as I originally said, dual 580s will be great for those super high resolutions.

I don't really know why you're being so dissenting. $650 for TWO GTX 580s is an absolutely mind blowingly good deal. It is also extremely powerful for no matter what game or resolution he's running.

Obviously performance per watt is getting better as we get new GPUs and with die shrinks, and 28nm should OC well like we saw with Intel CPUs and AMD 7000... but no way would you get this kind of price/performance. No freaking way. 7870s are close at $350 each and OC to roughly 7950 speeds, even a little more like 7970 speeds depending on the game, but I'd pick dual 580s for this price.

I would take a proper Warranty and a proper brand new 28nm card over some old, hot, power hog, loud Nvida 580s LOL it's as simple as that mate you get what you pay for.

:pfff: Oh christ it's you.

The guy who said

"Well they probably understand more than you about the facts that 1gb Vram is a standard now for 1080P so three monitors at 1080P a piece needs 3gb Vram hence why Radeon released there new cards with 3gb Vram buffers now stop baiting me and do some research I am correct bro not trollin."

and

"I always have Vsync on in Control panel and I play MW3 @ 60fps LOL all it does is match the framerate to monitors refresh rate for best image quality and performance."

and

"Vram has nothing to do with performance it has to do with image quality."

and

"I am pretty sure it's the game that makes them MMOs attractive if it wasn't then there facebook for social and thats where be if thats what they want to do instead of paying $15 a month to chat in game when FaceBook is FREE."
..."Yes people would play MMOs offline it's called an RPG LOL"

etc. Besides the opinions that are generally wrong, you were proven to be factually wrong on most of the stuff that is quantifiable and still continued on.

You've also made, oh, 4 other accounts now? You're our resident troll.

(FYI "headhunter18", that was and ad hominem attack. You seem to like that saying... thought I'd give you a clear example of what it is since you obviously don't quite get it.)

Also, let's look at some actual Price/Performance shall we?

First one, look at the 580's performance... at $325 it would sit nicely well above the 6970.
value-fps.gif

Again, it would be above and to the left of the 7870, which is even better territory
value-average.png

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

mclat72

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Great deal, but...

PNY =BAD!

I've had multiple issues with their tech support and customer service. This last round took me over 6 months to get my 570s replaced. PNY, never again! Here's to hoping they don't fail on you. =)

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

I think you'd be much better off with the GTX680.

It will be FAR cooler and FAR quieter. The new cards will also benchmark BETTER going forward as games optimize more for the new architecture (tessellation, better AA).

I can't give specific numbers but a GTX680 2GB card may just kick a 2xGTX580 solution in every single way, including price if it's about $650 or less.

An educated guess puts the GTX680 at FASTER than a 2xGTX580 solution, without the micro-stutter and problematic periodic low frame drops.

A list of reasons:
- far cooler and quieter
- performance should be better than 2xGTX580 NOW
- performance will improve in future
- newer COMPUTE architecture
- better multi-monitor support?
- better Anti-Aliasing than previous
- PhysX 3 hardware (for newer games. None on market yet, but it adds MORE physics support and is more efficicent)
- micro-stutter (SLI)
- some games don't work well with SLI
- periodic frames LOWER than a single card (it's a fact)

*It's not just a little upgrade, and again if you factor PhysX 3, newer AA, newer Compute (affects games too) and improved TESSELLATION games the card will pull perform FAR better than a GTX5xx setup).

If you can believe this, then.. great, but it's a little deceiving. It's getting closer to 10% better than an HD7970 on average but they scaled it intentionally to look far better:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GeForce-GTX680-gpu,15012.html

Now that's not going to compete with a 2xGTX580 setup in RAW FRAME RATES, but there are huge articles that discuss the difference in SLI/Crossfire between the frame rate and how enjoyable the game is to play.

Don't flame me, that information is out there and you can decide. The bottom line for me is that I would NEVER get SLI/Crossfire now that I've been able to use many systems that have it, and yes that includes a high-end 2xGTX580 build.

I agree, I should have kept it simpler.
Basically it looks like you can't beat the price of a 2xGTX580 currently for RAW FRAME RATE, but that doesn't necessarily mean the actual game plays better. The whole issue is complicated.

(there's a pretty good, in depth article here at Tomshardware somewhere that goes into the micro-stutter issue for SLI and Crossfire. It has charts and everything.)

G

What you seem to forget is that the 7970 overclocks like crazy.My 7970 is anywhere from 50-80% faster then a gtx 580 overclocked.I would go 2 gtx 580's though if givin the choice

G

No way will a gtx 680 beat 2 580's in SLI and i dont even have to see benchmarks to know this will not happen

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Wow, thanks for all the support, sorry I have a ton of math/Chinese homework and couldn't get on earlier. I keep wanting to jump the gun with my graphic cards on my new build, but I feel like I can wait for Kepler then decide :)

P.S. If you want the same deal on the 580's look them up on google shopping, thanks again.

Ralph