Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best computer for playing skyrim

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2012 3:47:29 AM

Hello, im building my first pc is this solid enough for skyrim
-ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
-PNY VCGGTX560TXPB-OC-S GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
-Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single 12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply
-Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD R 8X DVD RW 12X DVD R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 8:00:36 AM

I sort of agree with g-unit to a point. post the form and let us know your budget and what city you are from. (ie are you near a microcenter?)
m
0
l
Related resources
May 19, 2012 1:29:46 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: (by the end of the month )

Budget Range: (1100 would be best) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (GAMING)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com)

Country: (United States)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel i7, nvidia gtx)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: I would like it SLI ready

Monitor Resolution:

Additional Comments: (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx... )
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 6:09:52 AM

g-unit1111 said:
If you fill this out we can better assist you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

For now I'd say scrap the whole build - go Ivy, your GPU is outdated, the case is overkill, and Rosewill is not a good PSU manufacturer.




why would i choose a Ivy instead of a sandy and do u know a more up to date gpu that costs less than 250
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 6:18:04 AM

The 7850 is a good alternative.
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 6:41:52 AM

what about a 2500k with a gtx 570
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 6:50:19 AM

NoobBuilder242 said:
Approximate Purchase Date: (by the end of the month )

Budget Range: (1100 would be best) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (GAMING)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com)

Country: (United States)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel i7, nvidia gtx)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: I would like it SLI ready

Monitor Resolution:

Additional Comments: (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx... )


For $1167.71 (includes shipping and mail in rebates) you could get this:
Specs:
case:COOLER MASTER Elite 430 - $10 off with promo code
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
GPU:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit
CPU:i7-2700K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
PSU:APEVIA 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
RAM: 16GB (4X4GB) GSkill RipJaws X DDR3 1600
motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
optical:Samsung 22x DVD Burner

If you go with what's on your wish list make sure you buy the CPU and Motherboard combo and HDD/DVD Burner combo for more savings.

If you want to go with the newer Ivy-bridge i7-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) you could get this combo.
That would bring the price down from $1167.71 to $912.71.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 21, 2012 8:14:37 AM



No....just NO....

Case: No real issue here, go with whatever preference you have. Personally on a $1000 budget, id be looking at more like a $70-100 case.
HDD: Again, no issue here, solid HDD - just make sure to get Caviar Blue/Black, not the slower Green drives.
GPU: Very good performance, solid GPU if it fits into budget.
CPU: i7-2700k? No need, exactly the same for gaming as an i5-2500k - grab this instead.
PSU: WHAT IS THIS? Get something at MINIMUM with an 80PLUS bronze rating. Corsair, Antec, XFX, SeaSonic PSU recommended. A 750-850w unit would be recommended depending on what GPU you plan to SLI.
RAM: No need for 16GB - 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 is perfectly fine.
Mobo: Look at the new Z77 motherboards.

SSD would be another recommended component.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 21, 2012 8:56:13 AM
a b B Homebuilt system
May 21, 2012 12:14:45 PM

Quality Gaming Rig that will play Skyrim at 50FPS at 1080p on ultra settings.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Build Highlights:
CPU - IVY i5 3570K
MB - THG recommended AsRock Z77 with 2 x PCIe 3.0 SLI ready
SSD - Solid fast Kingston HyperX 90GB
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM/32mb Cache
RAM - 8GBs DDR1600
GPU - GTX 560 ti OC
PSU - Corsair 750w PSU SLI ready (will handle 2 x GTX 560 ti's)
CASE - Zalman Z9+ Gaming case with fan control (OP feel free to change, as a case is a personal thing -
there are a lot of Rosewill gaming cases that are in combo deals with the Motherboard, check them out)

total is $1117 and $16 shipping with $75 in MIR and the below combo deals knock another $25 off (pick one)

Final price is $1033.

Combos:
RAM PSU Combo (saves $10)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Pick one of these:
CPU HDD combo (saves $15)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Or
HDD MB combo (save $15)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Parts were chosen for Price/performance/reliability/low shipping cost

Suggested upgrade (stays under budget at final cost):
swap Kingston 90GB SSD for Crucial 128GB SSD
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 8:54:58 PM

Would a CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B & Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive be downgrade
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 11:56:38 PM

jerreddredd said:
Quality Gaming Rig that will play Skyrim at 50FPS at 1080p on ultra settings.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Build Highlights:
CPU - IVY i5 3570K
MB - THG recommended AsRock Z77 with 2 x PCIe 3.0 SLI ready
SSD - Solid fast Kingston HyperX 90GB
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM/32mb Cache
RAM - 8GBs DDR1600
GPU - GTX 560 ti OC
PSU - Corsair 750w PSU SLI ready (will handle 2 x GTX 560 ti's)
CASE - Zalman Z9+ Gaming case with fan control (OP feel free to change, as a case is a personal thing -
there are a lot of Rosewill gaming cases that are in combo deals with the Motherboard, check them out)

total is $1117 and $16 shipping with $75 in MIR and the below combo deals knock another $25 off (pick one)

Final price is $1033.

Combos:
RAM PSU Combo (saves $10)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Pick one of these:
CPU HDD combo (saves $15)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Or
HDD MB combo (save $15)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Parts were chosen for Price/performance/reliability/low shipping cost

Suggested upgrade (stays under budget at final cost):
swap Kingston 90GB SSD for Crucial 128GB SSD
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...



Alright so I've made some changes

-CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

-ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core I5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

-EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

m
0
l
May 22, 2012 1:13:10 AM

Check out this similar build (prices include shipping, discounts, and rebates)

cpu:i5-3570K - $227
cooling:Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo - $35
gpu:MSI GTX 670 2GB 256-bit - $400
mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - $220.38
ram:8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline - $45
ssd:OCZ Octane 64GB - $70
hd:WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM sata 6.0GB/s - Free w/ mobo combo
optical:Sony 24x DVD Burner (Black) - $18
case:NZXT GAMMA Classic Series Steel ATX Mid Tower - $40
psu:PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready PSU - $73.50

Grand Total: $1129

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2012 5:56:44 AM

NoobBuilder242 said:
Would a CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B & Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive be downgrade


no a real downgrade, but the Ram has high profile heatsinks that will interfere with most CPU coolers, like the Hyper 212.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2012 6:16:10 AM

NoobBuilder242 said:
Alright so I've made some changes

-CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

-ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core I5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

-EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


the 650w PSU won't be big enough to SLI the GTX 570 for future SLI. if you have since dropped that requirement, then that psu is a good choice, other wise you'll need at least a good 750W to run 2 x GTX 570's.

the EVGA card is a good choice. My wife and and son's systems both run that very card.
Share
a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2012 8:16:27 AM

850w would be recommended for SLI 570's.

Alternatively buy a new gen card, 7xxx or 6xx which uses a lot less power.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2012 2:37:10 PM

NoobBuilder242 said:
would a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply do

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I ran 2 of those same cards in my rig before I got my GTX 590. in fact, the GTX 590 draws more Power than my GTX 570's in SLI. I have an HX 750, the TX 750 has the same 12V rail specs.
THG shows the power consumption of 3 runs on the METRO benchmark being only 420W for 570's in SLi. the spec'd TDP for a 570 is 219W.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

I would say yes on the TX 750.
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 9:46:55 PM

alright dude thanks for all your help, time, and info cant wait to put all of this together
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 9:47:18 PM

Best answer selected by NoobBuilder242.
m
0
l
!