New Desktop GPU Issue?

pepin

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi guys,

This is my first post here, and I'm having some technical problems on my new desktop. Well, it's actually one, specific, and annoying problem that keeps cropping up.

Last month I purchased a new custom build desktop online, which arrived a little under 3 weeks ago. Before I had installed anything major, on day 1, I saw a bizarre crash. I had vertical lines down my screen. They were 2 different shades of grey, and obscured everything behind them. I think at the time I was installing a game, but up until that point I had only installed Google Chrome, Skype, and AVG. At the time I passed it off as a random error, but it has since happened on several occasions.

They appear when I try to play a DVD through my DVD ROM drive (purchased DVD, no scratches, and works on 2 other laptops and my 360). Whenever I try to watch a YouTube or Flash video online, and very very occasionally when I play SW:ToR (maybe 3 times in total over the last three weeks). It does however, seem slightly intermittent. Sometimes I can watch 4+ videos, then it will give up on loading the 5th. I have never been halfway through watching something, and then seen a crash. I never see an error message either.

I have over clocked my GPU slightly, and CPU via the Catalyst Control Centre, but this had no effect, and I have since reverted back to factory setup, and seen the same crash. I have been to the graphics card website and downloaded the latest drivers, and again nothing has changed. I have removed all the AMD software drivers, so that there shouldn't be any pieces of software corrupting with each other. The monitor itself I bought 2 days before the PC arrived, brand new and had, for those 2 days, used it as the monitor for my laptop, so I doubt it's that.

My PC spec is as follows:

AMD PHENOM II X4 QUAD CORE 960T (3.00GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3)
ASUS® M5A97: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6870 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
1TB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s HDD, 32MB Cache (7200rpm)
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Okay, so just to clarify;
Have tried to install latest drivers
Have tried altering the mhz clock speed and memory clock speed of the GPU
Have run Funmark (I think it was called) to do a benchmark/stress test. never saw the GPU go above 69 degrees C
Have downloaded Windows updates, and should be up to date with these
Checked the physical connection (HDMI cable) from my PC to monitor.
Tried uninstalling drivers via Device Manager, then reinstalling from AMD website after a restart

I'm racking my brains for anything else that might be wrong, other than the GPU actually being broken upon delivery, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I'd rather not open up the case to check the GPU's physical connection to the MB just in case I need to send my PC back and they're 'funny' with me.

Thank you in advance

pepin

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for the swift response.

I have indeed tried a different monitor, with 2 sets of cables, so have ruled all three of those variables out at this point :(