Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony All-In-One graphics card capability

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2012 11:02:40 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony All-In-One Touch Screen PC, and I am in the market for a new graphics card. I have had this PC for 1 1/2- 2 years, and I have found that it is not very good for games. I understand that there aren't many, but I will post my video card, and the model number here. If there isn't even 1 graphics card that is remotely better, tell me, but only if you really know. If you are not 100% sure, do not answer.

PC MODEL NUMBER: PCV A1111L

VIDEO CARD: GeForce G210M
a c 160 Î Nvidia
a c 1401 U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 11:33:00 PM

All in one PC are basically overgrown laptops with limited upgrade ability. Only way for you to find out if possible to upgrade is through SONY, I personally doubt it!
m
l
March 16, 2012 12:39:01 AM

It's pretty much like a console. I have nothing more to say too.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 8:27:48 PM

I did not want ways to find out, or anything of the sort. I want recommendations. 'It's pretty much like a console' is not a good answer either, it's halfhearted, and was probably given on the spot. My computer is upgrade-able, and I'd like a suggestion. I quote: If there isn't even 1 graphics card that is REMOTELY better. . . I unquote.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 9:45:57 PM

No need to get beligerant just because you don't like someone's answer. What you've been told so far is actually spot on, but to elaborate...

Like rolli59 said, your AiO PC is basically a big laptop, all the internals are actually laptop bits, not desktop hardware. The M in Geforce 210M indicates that you have a mobile chipset version of the Geforce 210M. Mobile GPU's are almost always, and I mean 99% of the time, soldered to the motherboard which makes replacement difficult for two reasons. 1) It's soldered, and 2) many mobility chipsets sit on custom sized printed circuit boards (PCB's) which fit into a specific place on the motherboard while fitting the notebook chassis. While standards for mobile chips do exist their use by mainstream manufacturer's is rare which means even if you were able to find a better chip it would have to be the right fit as well. Upgrading your GPU also means additional power will be needed and additional heat will need to be dissipated, two things which your AiO PC probably can't do/handle. Finally, mobile versions of GPU's are not readily available on the consumer market. You can find used ones on ebay and amazon, but even then it's buyer beware.
a c 160 Î Nvidia
a c 1401 U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 12:01:34 AM

87ninefiveone said:
No need to get beligerant just because you don't like someone's answer. What you've been told so far is actually spot on, but to elaborate...

Like rolli59 said, your AiO PC is basically a big laptop, all the internals are actually laptop bits, not desktop hardware. The M in Geforce 210M indicates that you have a mobile chipset version of the Geforce 210M. Mobile GPU's are almost always, and I mean 99% of the time, soldered to the motherboard which makes replacement difficult for two reasons. 1) It's soldered, and 2) many mobility chipsets sit on custom sized printed circuit boards (PCB's) which fit into a specific place on the motherboard while fitting the notebook chassis. While standards for mobile chips do exist their use by mainstream manufacturer's is rare which means even if you were able to find a better chip it would have to be the right fit as well. Upgrading your GPU also means additional power will be needed and additional heat will need to be dissipated, two things which your AiO PC probably can't do/handle. Finally, mobile versions of GPU's are not readily available on the consumer market. You can find used ones on ebay and amazon, but even then it's buyer beware.

+1^ Great answer!
m
l
March 26, 2012 12:34:10 AM

Best answer selected by arshan272.
m
l
March 26, 2012 1:00:14 AM

thank you for clarifying that. That was very convincing. Sigh, I suppose I'm gonna have to get a new computer soon. . . thanks again.
m
l
!