Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I3 2125 with asrock pro3 gen3 do i need a discrete video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2012 11:56:25 PM

I am finishing a budget build with the following components:

i3 2125 processor
asrock pro3 gen3 motherboard
corsair vengeance 8gb 1600 2x4 ram
corsair 430 builders series PSU
seagate barracuda 1tb hard drive
lite-scribe DVD rw +/- drive
sony multi card reader
cooler master elite 430 case w 3 120mm fans

My question is do I need a discrete video card? I do no gaming on my PC and will be using it for picture and video editing. Also some HD streaming video and video chatting. I know the pro3 gen3 has software included to switch between integrated and discrete graphics but will I need that with this build and my needs? Are the HD 3000 graphics good enough? Will I benefit at all from a cheap 50-75 dollar graphics card? Thanks in advance.
March 16, 2012 12:31:02 AM

'Good enough' depends entirely to what extend?

For the fact that you did mention HD Streaming, from that factor point, you do need a discrete GPU. At $50-70 you'd get something like:

-HD5570
-HD5670 ( if you're lucky to find one )
-HD4650

Either cards you'd choose will suffice your needs for a much better graphic processing than the Intel HD3000 has to offer. And some decent upgrade on gaming performance too.

However, if you feel comfortable with the way it is, than there is no need to get one.
March 16, 2012 1:15:49 AM

I had read a lot of mixed reviews about the HD 3000 integrated graphics. Some rave it bests a budget discrete card and some say its no good.

The CPU is my final purchase for this build and have everything else now. Should I just save the 30.00 and get a i3 2120 and put it towards a discrete card in that case? the only difference is the HD 2000 is included with the 2120 and will my 430 psu be ok for a discrete card?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 16, 2012 1:23:08 AM

Sure you might get confused with people's review about HD3000. But make no mistake, by $50-70 for discrete GPU, HD3000 stand no chance of whichever cards you choose at that price point.

Personally, I'd say just ignore whatever Intel said their integrated GPU chips that installed on their CPU. And focus more on the raw performance and price of that said CPU alone. Leave graphic processing to a much more capable handler.

If your PSU is installed with the case you're buying, even if it stated 430, I'd doubt it ever reaches 350+. Even by that, it still enough to supply for low end GPUs along with all your mentioned spec.
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 2:46:08 AM

The HD 3000 should suffice for video editing. However, i do recommend getting a 2500k if you have the budget. video editing benefits from a good CPU and not much else. It also comes with a HD 3000, however, because it is clocked higher, it will give better gpu performance than your current CPU. You can purchase it for around $215.

Best solution

a c 236 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 4:09:23 AM

jomaxwel said:
I am finishing a budget build with the following components:

i3 2125 processor
asrock pro3 gen3 motherboard
corsair vengeance 8gb 1600 2x4 ram
corsair 430 builders series PSU
seagate barracuda 1tb hard drive
lite-scribe DVD rw +/- drive
sony multi card reader
cooler master elite 430 case w 3 120mm fans

My question is do I need a discrete video card? I do no gaming on my PC and will be using it for picture and video editing. Also some HD streaming video and video chatting. I know the pro3 gen3 has software included to switch between integrated and discrete graphics but will I need that with this build and my needs? Are the HD 3000 graphics good enough? Will I benefit at all from a cheap 50-75 dollar graphics card? Thanks in advance.

If you will do no fast action gaming, then you do not need a discrete graphics card. I suggest you at least defer installing one.
The 2125 graphics will do fine. An early sandy bridge compared the integrated graphics to the equivalent of a $50 discrete card. If, for whatever reason, you find it lacking,or your game needs one, you can always add a discrete graphics card later.
450w PSU will power a graphics card as strong as a GTX560. Once the mainstream 28nm graphics cards arrive, you should be able to get an even stronger card for a 450w psu.

Sandy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds, this g.skil 8gb kit will do just as well for $37:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you can fit it in your budget, buy a SSD for the os and some apps. Your PC will feel much quicker.
60-80gb will hold the os and a number of apps. You will pay about $1.30 per gb.
Defer on the hard drive for now. Hard drive prices are high. Add one later for expansion when the prices are more reasonable.
March 16, 2012 12:31:50 PM

I guess I will just try it with the i3 2125 with HD3000 grphics and see how it goes. I will be upgrading to ivy bridge when it comes out so I don't want to buy a K processor now or an expensive 2.0 graphics card. If I did have to buy a sub 100.00 graphics card what is the best budget card? I see like 100 1gb ddr3 cards on amazon/newegg and really have no clue what makes one better then the other. Thanks everyone for your help.
March 23, 2012 6:53:11 PM

Best answer selected by jomaxwel.
!