Ati Radeon 6870 problems

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought XFX's 6870 graphics card along with a continuous 700w PSU to power it, since it apparently requires a minimum of 500w.

Well, I removed my previous PSU and hooked up my new PSU first to make sure that the PSU was fine. Everything worked great so I removed my old graphics card (ATI 5670) and inserted the 6870. It said that it requires two PCI express connectors (6-pin) and the new PSU that I bought has two 6-pin connectors.

I hook the two 6-pin connectors to my 6870 card and start it up. My monitor acts like I haven't plugged anything in. It's just blank as in not registering instead of blank because of an underpowered graphics card.

Anyways, I checked the manual pamphlet thing that came with it and it states that I need two separate PCI lines but my 700w PSU has only one PCI line that splits into two 6-pin connectors.

So I'm wondering if I need to get a new PSU all because I only have one PCI line instead of two or if this is a problem related to my monitor that, for some reason, won't register my 6870.

My graphics card and PSU specs are as follows:

Old card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125339

New card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

New PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152042

And for those of you who are asking, yes I understand that the 6870 requires the DVI cable to work. I've tried both DVI/DVI and DVI/VGA with my monitor but both times my monitor acted as if I hadn't plugged in the cable. It just wouldn't acknowledge my new card.

Also, this is not an issue with my motherboard or my PCI Express slot at all. I've narrowed the issue down to either being:

A. My PSU doesn't have two separate/independent PCI lines with its own 6-pin connector. (Though I don't think it should matter if I have more than enough power left in my PSU - remember minimum watts for the 6870 is 500w and I have a 700w continuous.)

B. My monitor has some sort of issue that I have no idea how to fix. (Don't suggest HDMI because my monitor doesn't have ad HDMI port. By the way, my monitor is around 23".)

Will someone help this poor soul?

Horrible choice in PSU, Raidmax is at the bottom of the barrel for PSU's. I suspect though that there is something wrong with the card (DOA) since the Crapmax (has worse specs than a quality 500watt) should be able to power that but rely can't be sure!

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
You can bring your PSU to the store you bought it and have them test the mentioned connector, whether or not they function properly. And should they admits its a flaw, if it still under warranty, you can ask to replace it.

Or.

If you still keep your old GPU, did you ever tried to use the DVI cable from it too?

Also, you might want to check your PCI lane. Perhaps something was stuck on it, maybe a dust or anything. Clean it up properly and try again.

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Hmmm . . . but Newegg gave it 4 stars.

It's not a dead card because the fan is working. Or, by DOA, do you mean that the graphics card won't display anything?

So you don't believe that it's an issue with my single PCI line?

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Okay so I should take my PSU to someplace like Fry's (which I checked sells Raidmax products) and then get it tested . . . I hope they won't charge me for it. (I bought it from Newegg so I would have to mail it back in or something if it is faulty.)

I tried the DVI/VGA with my old GPU and it worked . . . after I uplugged my monitor and replugged it. Surprisingly I haven't tried this with my new GPU. And I can't now because I'm at the dorms instead of home where my desktop is. I'll try that as soon as I get home.

I'm pretty sure my PCI lane was clear. I moved it around a bit, putting it here and there.

Other than replugging my monitor after it's been hooked up, do you have any other suggestions? I'm desperate and I really don't want to have to buy another PSU just to see if my PCI line is the problem.

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Well, I remembered that you started this thread off with your first response being about how low-grade Raidmax is. So I took your advice and I'm going to refund the Raidmax and, instead, buy this PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

I posted an issue about my PSU on another thread and apparently the 6870 doesn't require as many watts as the manufacturer stated. Therefore, I'm certain that a 630w PSU should be enough to power my simple rig and high-end GPU. Plus, it has two separate PCI lines with 6-pin connectors.

The Rosewill is better than the Raidmax and I agree with the fact that the HD6870 is not needing the 630 watts. The thing I was not sure about is that the Raidmax could provide its promised out put!