Sign in with
Your question

My $1000 gaming build plan

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2012 9:38:25 AM

Hello all, thank you for reading my post.
I always wanted a gaming pc for a very long time but wasn't able to afford it till now. I am also really excited to build it since it'll be my first time!

Approximate purchase date : 1 week to 3 month (not so much in a hurry)

Budget: $1000 (I can afford the extra tax and shipping)

Parts already owned: Harddrive (1TB), HD monitor and HDMI cable(23' LG HD LED Monitor), and optical (blu-ray drive)

Overclocking: Maybe but I don't think I want to try overclocking on my first build, especially when I'm inexperienced with setting over clocking.

Sli or crossfire: In the future yes.

Here is my list so far from searching for the past week.

i5 3570k 189.99 micro center

Asus P8z77 V-Pro LGA 169.99 (will be bundled w/ i5)
micro center

Gigabyte 7870OC 2G Radeon HD -369.99 micro center

z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower -59.99 micro center

Cool Master Silent Pro Gold Series 800W, Modular and 80 Plus Gold -159.99 newegg.com

G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB (4gb x 2) 240 pin DDR3 2133 (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) 59.99 newegg.com

Total=$ 1009.94 + tax +shipping

I did my best to see if I can get a stable and good enough gaming pc with $1000. I know CM for PSU isn't very safe but I wanted a modular Seasonic but I can only find one for X 650w, which I think might be low power for this build. (is my wattage too high?)
the ripjaw X ram should be compatible with the Asus P8Z77. (I think)

Note: I know I'm not planning on overclocking and I chose the 7870OC, but I thought it was a good semi-high graphics card from Gigabyte in that price.

Do you guys think this is an over-priced build?

Thank you for reading!

More about : 1000 gaming build plan

May 18, 2012 11:09:07 AM

I don't know what state you are in, but you do know that you have to pick up the processor only in store to get that price right?

Also for an extra $40, I would just get the new GTX670 EVGA 2GB card.
May 18, 2012 12:15:43 PM

If you are truly not going to OC then why spend the extra money on an unlocked CPU? I just don't get that when people do this. IMO if you buy a K model you best be overclocking that chip. It deserves it, it's begging for it lol. You could get the i5 3450 for essentially the same performance and save yourself 40 bucks or put that 40 into a better GPU like the post above mentioned and then you can get the gtx 670.

And not sure what you exactly meant by stating that you're not going to OC but you're getting a 7870OC. That just means that card is already overclocked from the factory, not that you have to overclock it any more, although you certainly could. Just felt like clearing that up if you were confused.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2012 12:56:34 PM

STATE, needs to be added to the new build form.
May 19, 2012 3:54:00 AM

Thank you for the input guys.

I actually live in Colorado and I go to Denver every other week to take care of work matters. There is also a Microcenter at Denver (more close to Aurora though) and I visit there when my business is done. So I do understand that bundle deal only works for in store pick up.

I know I said I won't OC, but I did a bit of research and contacted my tech savvy friend for more information about OC today and I realized its something not hard to do (but not easy as well) and maybe worth trying to get the increased performance.

I actually might go with i5 2500k for the cost efficient OC CPU instead.

^rdzona
That was a bad choice on my part (about the 7870OC) and I think going with the GTX 670 EVGA is a better option now since I'm changning the CPU and changing to a more suitable motherboard at a lower price. I wasn't really confused, but I just chose that since it seemed like a good GPU with that price (not to mention the only one at store).
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2012 6:32:49 AM

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $89.99 if purchased with the i5 3570K processor
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- review of that board with benchmarks

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $39.99
Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $99.99
Antec High Current Gamer 750W Gamer Power Supply HCG-750

!