Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k CPU Speeds - Gaming

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2012 12:25:36 AM

Hello,

I have noticed with my new i5 3570k CPU when playing World of Warcraft the CPU speed will change frequently.. sits at 3.8ghz sometimes with Turbo Boost and then drops to 3.6ghz etc. etc. then back up and it's annoying, sometimes I get this like not a freeze but feels like a stutter for a second but my FPS doesn't drop it stays the same but it's a small stutter and I'm not sure if it's linked to the CPU core changing or my old hdd I'm using being old and having issues loading textures.

What are the settings to turn off via bios to fix the core from changing?
a c 283 à CPUs
September 6, 2012 12:32:02 AM

First of all, you don't want to permanently turn off SpeedStep and Turbo, but the way to keep it at full speed while gaming is to use the High Performance power plan in Windows. After you're done gaming, you should set it back to Balanced for normal operation.

You may find that that doesn't solve your problem, though. People have asked this many times before, and the CPU speed changing wasn't the problem in most of those cases.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:49:04 AM

I tried turning off SpeedStep and it actually improved my FPS.. well kept it more around the same rather than fluctuating but truth is I still feel the laggy stutter thing? the FPS doesn't drop it sits around 80fps and with that FPS it shouldn't lag
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
September 6, 2012 12:57:06 AM

cameronmc88 said:
but truth is I still feel the laggy stutter thing? the FPS doesn't drop it sits around 80fps and with that FPS it shouldn't lag

That's what I mean. It may improve overall FPS slightly, but it doesn't fix the stuttering. To be honest, nobody ever got back to me on those threads and said what was causing it, so I don't know what the stuttering problems were ultimately caused by. My best guess is that it's GPU based, though (possibly drivers).

Edit: It could be the slow HDD causing it as well, actually (especially if it's a 5400 RPM drive).
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:12:14 AM

The hard drive is 7,200 RPM pretty sure but it's a really old and semi-broken drive, happy it runs tbh.. before I did a scandsk to fix half of the errors on it. Whenever I used to run a game, about 20 minutes into the game it made a TICK/CLICK noise and would freeze the system would have to restart it and bam would happen again.
Btw it wasn't every 20 minutes it was random.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 1:18:42 AM

Well, try updating WoW and your GPU drivers.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:20:38 AM

Both are fully up to date.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 6, 2012 1:25:49 AM

Well, we know it's not the CPU changing speeds that's causing it, and if the game and drivers are up date, that really only leaves the HDD.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:56:27 AM

Btw did I mention.. that when I first got my system my brother bent my cpu socket pins like only 2 or 3 but he bent them back into place.
The computer successfully booted and installed windows 7, I've played games on it.. done IntelBurnTest and Prime95.. no BSOD's or any other crashes.

Could my bent socket things be causing the stutter?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 6, 2012 1:58:52 AM

cameronmc88 said:
Could my bent socket things be causing the stutter?

Nah, if it works at all, that's not the problem. If bent pins were a problem (assuming that they're important because there are some redundant pins), the system just wouldn't boot.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:05:33 AM

what about if one pin was not perfect in the cpu circle sensor? like half on or something.. boots but is now causing my games to lag? :( 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 6, 2012 2:09:03 AM

cameronmc88 said:
what about if one pin was not perfect in the cpu circle sensor? like half on or something.. boots but is now causing my games to lag? :( 

Nope. That wouldn't cause it. Like I said, if the pins were a problem at all, it just wouldn't boot. There's no in between involved with that. It either works or it doesn't.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:06:06 PM

Tested my friends brand new HDD and I still got the lag problem. so that rules out HDD, I've noticed it happens when loading new people or something.. like it sorta lags me. example I'll have smooth 60 FPS constant but when loading people in say main city it will lag for 1 second or less (The FPS goes back to 55 when this happens) and then back to 60 smooth.. wtf lol
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:10:03 PM

May I ask, other than this strange stutter you're getting.. have you liked the 3570k so far for playing WoW? How have the framerates been? I'm looking to upgrade and couldn't decide between this and the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge. Mind posting your other system specs?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 5:09:00 PM

cameronmc88 said:
Tested my friends brand new HDD and I still got the lag problem. so that rules out HDD, I've noticed it happens when loading new people or something.. like it sorta lags me. example I'll have smooth 60 FPS constant but when loading people in say main city it will lag for 1 second or less (The FPS goes back to 55 when this happens) and then back to 60 smooth.. wtf lol

When you say 'loading new people' do you mean other online players, or background characters? And did you have this problem with your old computer? What is your graphics card and what is your ISP up/down speed and your network connection speed?

If its a lot of characters being loaded at the same time, both the HDD and your graphics card rendering speed will affect your gameplay. And if you're loading other gameplayers over the net, then your up/down speed could affect it too. Anyway, a 1 second lag is not bad for going to a new area that has a lot of stuff to be loaded. When I play Torchlight, it takes several seconds for a new area to load, using a Raptor HDD which spins at 10K rpm. However TL is not a MMORG..

Anyway I assume you have updated all your mobo drivers while updating the GPU drivers an WoW.
m
l
!