First time building alone! Looking for an all round build, spec within

jeemerimah

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week

Budget Range: Up to around £700 all in, but less is always nice.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mainly fps) Video Editing (1080p) web/illustration work + some music production

Parts Not Required: I don't require a mouse/keyboard/monitor/optical drive/OS (plan to use windows 7 via a bootable USB - if this is likely to cause issues on a new build please let me know!)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan.co.uk or cclonline.com have been recommended, however I'm open to suggestions.

Parts Preferences: I've been recommended to go with Intel particularly with video editing in mind, however if I can get as good/better performance from AMD at a noticeably better price i have no brand loyalty whatsoever.

Overclocking: I've never tried this before, but I'd be open to suggestions about what my eventual build can get away with and/or whether I'll need to look at implementing more cooling measures.

SLI or Crossfire: Wasn't planning on this unless it'll save money somehow, which I doubt! Wouldn't mind having the option to add in another graphics card later on if it's a possibility.

Monitor Resolution: I don't know off the top of my head! My old desktop has died. I have a ~2 year old 24" lcd if that helps...

Additional Comments: Saving money on the build would be great, I've based my build on existing pre-made builds that SCAN offer so I have a feeling some of the parts may be a bit overkill. I'm also pretty patient, I don't mind waiting a little extra for video rendering or turning the graphics quality down a bit if it will have a big impact on price! I don't care how ugly the case is, and I'm not really concerned about noise from it. I've helped to build a couple of pcs before years ago but never done it by myself before, so I'd really appreciate any advice on compatibility, getting a good deal, any pointers for having a SSD primary hard drive for my OS and regularly used programs (no experience with them) and also the potential to go for a smaller case if possible.

Initial build suggestion:

Case: Rasurbo Basic & Case BC-12 black ATX Midi-Tower Chassis w/o PSU
£19.16

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
£16.45

Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series GS 600
£58.78

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77
£83.72

Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor OEM
£161.94

RAM: Corsair Memory Vengeance LP Black 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz
£78.19

Primary (SSD) Hard Disk-Drive: 60GB Sandisk Ultra, 2.5" SSD, SATA II - 3Gb/s, Read 280MB/s, Write 270MB/s, Retail
£43.92

Secondary Hard Disk-drive: 500GB Seagate Barracuda
£53.98

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560
£169.87

Audio card: ASUS XONAR DG SOUND CARD *OEM*
£19.81

Total
£707.42

use the stock cooler and save

use a 40 gig SSD as a cache drive .

the motherboard has sound . You dont need the card

even 8 gig of RAM gives no gaming performance boost over 4 gig , but 8 can be justified in this case . 16 gig cant unless you are using a 64 bit program for editing
Buy 2 x4 gig

Your monitor will be 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 .
The GTX 560 ti is OK at that resolution but if you could spend some of the money you save on a better graphics card
Radeon 7850 probably
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-9.html

jeemerimah

Distinguished
May 18, 2012

I'm not seeing a stock fan with the case or heatsink with the processor... am I missing something?

The only 40gb SSD I'm seeing on the site is an intel one at around double the price?

Ok, cool!

I was going to be using Premiere CS5 within Win 7.. afaik it's 64bit only?

Ok ta!

Thanks again for all your help!