AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The build components: FX-4100, AMD 6850, 8GB RAM (2x4GB).

This build is for a friend of mine and I'm unsure which motherboard to suggest he gets.

The two options are:

1) ASUS M5A78L-M LX
2) Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

Both boards have some good reviews although the Gigabyte tends to be rated a little more highly and apparently over-clocks better. Overclocking the CPU isn't really a big deal and probably wont be necessary anyway.

The main reason for this post is that the Gigabyte board that seems to be rated a little more highly but DOESN'T support 1600MHz RAM. My own personal brand preference is with ASUS so that would be my recommendation to him, especially since it supports OC RAM too. Just wondering if anyone else has any reasons for/against each motherboard?

As for cost, both boards can be picked up for about £35 in the UK. Please don't suggest any alternative boards if they are more expensive than this - this is a budget focused build.

I have had both brands of motherboards and have found the Asus boards to be easier to use and they have better overclocking features. I have always had good success with overclocking the Asus boards and they have some pretty good preset overclocks especialy the ROG boards for both cpu and ram. The tech support for both brands suck but Gigabyte's tech support wins as the worst.