best archive online?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 8, 2005 7:41:26 AM

Hello !
Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive digital
photographs online.
Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a recent trip
so that friends and family can access them with a web browser.
Someone I work with mentioned a site called imageshack.com but the site is
parked with banner ads.

I know there are a number of sites like this but I thought I would ask the
experts here.
I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much space as
possible.
Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.

Thanks !

More about : archive online

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:08:00 AM

Brandon wrote:
> Hello !
> Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive digital
> photographs online.
> Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a recent trip
> so that friends and family can access them with a web browser.
> Someone I work with mentioned a site called imageshack.com but the site is
> parked with banner ads.
>
> I know there are a number of sites like this but I thought I would ask the
> experts here.
> I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much space as
> possible.
> Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks !

I use PBase.com and am over all pretty happy with them, you can try a
free acount for 30 days. The cost is $23/year for 300 Meg of storage.

Scott
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:00:14 PM

Brandon wrote:
> Hello !
> Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive
> digital photographs online.
> Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a
> recent trip so that friends and family can access them with a web
> browser.
> Someone I work with mentioned a site called imageshack.com but the
> site is parked with banner ads.
>
> I know there are a number of sites like this but I thought I would
> ask the experts here.
> I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much
> space as possible.
> Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks !

Reprise:

<quote>
I use http://www.fototime.com. On the most basic level you connect,
Name an album,
choose Upload Photos,
browse to the source on your disk,
select the photos you want to display,
choose Upload,
wait for the transmission to complete,
choose Return to photos,
view your gallery.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/FF405962CAC40AF

Once the photos are up there you can change their order, add captions,
move or copy them from album to album, rename albums, et cetera.

You can restrict viewers to one photo by making a link to it
http://www.fototime.com/82E6315B946897C/standard.jpg
allow whole albums to be viewed by making a link even allow all- or
more-than-one album views
http://www.fototime.com/inv/F604A730014F8B7

When viewers are looking at a photo, they can choose to see it small,
medium, large, or original size

Fototime has proprietary software you can use to organize and upload,
but I've never tried it.
They have printing services (ClubPhoto, I think) and you can allow
viewers to use them or not.

Thirty-day free trial, 500MB storage and 10x that bandwidth per month
for about $2.00 a month payable yearly in advance if you decide to use
the service. They will also host your videos for an additional $18.00
per year.

Works for me.
</quote>

--
Frank ess
July 8, 2005 3:59:38 PM

"Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> writes:

> Hello !
> Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive digital
> photographs online.

"Best" of course depends on what you're looking for.

> Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a recent trip
> so that friends and family can access them with a web browser.
[...]
> I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much space as
> possible.
> Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.

It's good that you're specific about what you're looking for. A lot of
people just ask for "the best one." If you can be as specific with bug
reports and suggestions, I can give you 500MB space free on
ourdoings.com, the site I developed for my own family news and photos
and intend to make into a business at some point.

Just sign up and I'll make sure the 7-day trial becomes infinite.

The concept is that photos organize themselves chronologically and you
just put in text to go with each day. Ideal for trips, etc. Easy
uploading and easy viewing (web style, not slideshow style) respect the
time of the people supplying and viewing the photos.

Shutterfly is used for prints, but the interface could likely use
refining.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

"Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message
> Hello !
> Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive digital
> photographs online.
> Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a recent
> trip
> so that friends and family can access them with a web browser.
> Someone I work with mentioned a site called imageshack.com but the site is
> parked with banner ads.
>
> I know there are a number of sites like this but I thought I would ask the
> experts here.
> I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much space as
> possible.
> Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks !

www.photobox.co.uk

They increase your storage with every order!

**SS**
July 9, 2005 2:27:51 AM

www.multiply.com is a photo sharing site that now has unlimited free
storage, unlimited photo file size, but they recently added a limit of 150
photo uploads a month. New -- they added free 30 mb video storage, and music
storage too. 10 free prints. This one is my favorite.

50 free prints at winkflash.com with a flat shipping rate of 99 cents per
order, and 12 cents per print. So an order for almost 100 prints will be
about $7. http://www.winkflash.com/promos/free/ Free photo storage and
sharing and no obligation to buy prints in order to maintain albums.

You can also share online photo albums at www.yorkphoto.com and they charge
12 cents per print, too. Prints are inexpensive but your account will expire
in a year if you don't purchase prints from them.

www.dotphoto.com gives you 30 free prints for joining. My photos have been
there for a long time so I don't know what their time limit is. They
occasionally run print specials.

For a guide to other online photo sites -
http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html

Renee

"Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message
> Hello !
> Just looking for a recommendation for the best place to archive digital
> photographs online.
> Basically I want to upload a sizable number of images taken on a recent
> trip
> so that friends and family can access them with a web browser.
> Someone I work with mentioned a site called imageshack.com but the site is
> parked with banner ads.
>
> I know there are a number of sites like this but I thought I would ask the
> experts here.
> I am looking for a free service ( or close to free) with as much space as
> possible.
> Being able to order prints cheaply would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks !

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:27:52 AM

Renee wrote:
> www.multiply.com is a photo sharing site that now has unlimited free
> storage, unlimited photo file size, but they recently added a limit
> of 150 photo uploads a month. New -- they added free 30 mb video
> storage, and music storage too. 10 free prints. This one is my
> favorite.
> 50 free prints at winkflash.com with a flat shipping rate of 99
> cents
> per order, and 12 cents per print. So an order for almost 100 prints
> will be about $7. http://www.winkflash.com/promos/free/ Free photo
> storage and sharing and no obligation to buy prints in order to
> maintain albums.
> You can also share online photo albums at www.yorkphoto.com and they
> charge 12 cents per print, too. Prints are inexpensive but your
> account will expire in a year if you don't purchase prints from
> them.
>
> www.dotphoto.com gives you 30 free prints for joining. My photos
> have
> been there for a long time so I don't know what their time limit is.
> They occasionally run print specials.
>
> For a guide to other online photo sites -
> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html

The prices displayed ther are ancient. Any idea when the pages were
last updated? Any more recently compiled pages out there?

It's a bit irresponsible to put 'em up and abandon them, my view ...

--
Frank ess
July 9, 2005 3:41:01 AM

news:D MudnZmzObEwYlPfRVn-1A@giganews.com...
> Renee wrote:
>> www.multiply.com is a photo sharing site that now has unlimited free
>> storage, unlimited photo file size, but they recently added a limit
>> of 150 photo uploads a month. New -- they added free 30 mb video
>> storage, and music storage too. 10 free prints. This one is my
>> favorite.
>> 50 free prints at winkflash.com with a flat shipping rate of 99 cents
>> per order, and 12 cents per print. So an order for almost 100 prints
>> will be about $7. http://www.winkflash.com/promos/free/ Free photo
>> storage and sharing and no obligation to buy prints in order to
>> maintain albums.
>> You can also share online photo albums at www.yorkphoto.com and they
>> charge 12 cents per print, too. Prints are inexpensive but your
>> account will expire in a year if you don't purchase prints from them.
>>
>> www.dotphoto.com gives you 30 free prints for joining. My photos have
>> been there for a long time so I don't know what their time limit is.
>> They occasionally run print specials.
>>
>> For a guide to other online photo sites -
>> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html
>>

> The prices displayed ther are ancient. Any idea when the pages were last
> updated? Any more recently compiled pages out there?
>
> It's a bit irresponsible to put 'em up and abandon them, my view ...
>
> --
> Frank ess

It's been quite a while since I used the ddyer site but when I did I
basically went through the links list, registered at several sites and tried
them out myself. Any outdated prices on his site were immaterial to me --
the links he provided were. My criteria at the time was to find a site with
free, unlimited photo storage and the sharing of high resolution photos.
Some sites downsample the photos so people aren't able to download the
originals if they want; others charges; others have limits on storage, blah
blah blah. :-) The winning site was multiply.

Besides the ddyer link, the other links info I gave should be current.

Renee
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:41:02 AM

Renee wrote:
> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
> news:D MudnZmzObEwYlPfRVn-1A@giganews.com...
>> Renee wrote:
>>> www.multiply.com is a photo sharing site that now has unlimited
>>> free
>>> storage, unlimited photo file size, but they recently added a
>>> limit
>>> of 150 photo uploads a month. New -- they added free 30 mb video
>>> storage, and music storage too. 10 free prints. This one is my
>>> favorite.
>>> 50 free prints at winkflash.com with a flat shipping rate of 99
>>> cents per order, and 12 cents per print. So an order for almost
>>> 100
>>> prints will be about $7. http://www.winkflash.com/promos/free/
>>> Free
>>> photo storage and sharing and no obligation to buy prints in order
>>> to maintain albums.
>>> You can also share online photo albums at www.yorkphoto.com and
>>> they
>>> charge 12 cents per print, too. Prints are inexpensive but your
>>> account will expire in a year if you don't purchase prints from
>>> them. www.dotphoto.com gives you 30 free prints for joining. My
>>> photos
>>> have been there for a long time so I don't know what their time
>>> limit is. They occasionally run print specials.
>>>
>>> For a guide to other online photo sites -
>>> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html
>>>

>> The prices displayed ther are ancient. Any idea when the pages were
>> last updated? Any more recently compiled pages out there?
>>
>> It's a bit irresponsible to put 'em up and abandon them, my view
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess
>
> It's been quite a while since I used the ddyer site but when I did I
> basically went through the links list, registered at several sites
> and tried them out myself. Any outdated prices on his site were
> immaterial to me -- the links he provided were. My criteria at the
> time was to find a site with free, unlimited photo storage and the
> sharing of high resolution photos. Some sites downsample the photos
> so people aren't able to download the originals if they want; others
> charges; others have limits on storage, blah blah blah. :-) The
> winning site was multiply.
> Besides the ddyer link, the other links info I gave should be
> current.

Certainly makes sense. My conjecture is that not only prices will have
changed, but as you say, it's a useful conglomeration of toe-holds.

--
Frank ess
!