No signal from new graphics card

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I just got a brand new Gigabyte R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850.

So I carefully installed it into my setup, and there is no video signal when I turn the system on. The 6 Pin connector is plugged in and the fans are turning.

I've tried different things, such as uninstalling the on-board drivers, installing the driver disc and updates before hand, updating to the latest motherboard BIOS, pulling the motherboard battery, checking through options in the BIOS to see if there is something I need to turn off etc.

I've also tried both HDMI and DVI.

I'm really stumped here, and I'm about to return this thing, but I figured I'd ask the pros and make sure just in case.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

My mediocre setup:
ASUS M3N78 PRO
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.60Ghz
4 gigs of ram
Creative Soundblaster Card
Sony DVD Burner
500+ power supply

Yes, I know that the videocard is probably a bit much for the rest of the system, but I think it should work none-the-less.

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Hi, I've tried this, but it seems to have no effect at all.

Note:
The fans on the video card turn on, and I can hear windows boot, but there is no display the entire time, not even for the BIOS.

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Anyway, here are some pictures that might be useful:

BIOS

VIDEO CARD

Yes I know it's dusty and cramped. Is it even possible to dust the circuitry boards on a computer?

4 PIN CONNECTOR

I've never had this connected, is this necessary for the videocard to work?

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks, I tried it, but still no change.

I also blew out the whole system with a shopvac.

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
One other thing I might mention:

The computer works with the onboard video while the Radeon 6850 is still in the system, yet Windows doesn't detect anything new.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

edit: out of curiosity, I pulled the card out and put an old PCI-E card in there, and that worked right away. I'm not sure if this is an indication of anything, incompatibility or bad card?

edit 2: I also tried hooking it up to 2 other monitors, an old Samsung (through DVI), and a Hitachi TV through HDMI. Still no picture.

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Conclusion: I've decided to return the card, it's either defective, or incompatible with my motherboard (ASUS M3N78 PRO).

Thank you to everyone who tried to help, this thread may be closed.