Pure Ethernet Connection PC to PC direct/indirect

qiyi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Guys, i'm trying to connect 2 pcs from pc A to pc B directly using a crossover cable CAT5.
IPv4 settings as below:
pc A is windows XP
IP: 192.168.2.1
Gateway/DNS server: 192.168.2.2
pc B is Windows 7
IP: 192.168.2.2
Gateway/DNS server: 192.168.2.1
Subnetmask is the same for both : 255.255.255.0
From pc B, i could locate the shared files on pc A but not the other way around.
In local area games like dota. I cannot see each other's host game.
Any advice?

By the way,
Will this be easier if i buy i multiple port switch to connect the pcs?
I plan to connect 5-10 pc together, mostly laptop. Wired or wireless better?
If wireless what criteria should i choose as most of my laptop connections are G only.
What is the maximum number of connections for a wireless G router?

Need help on these 2 problems.
Much thanks.

If you want to connect a bunch of wireless clients (even if they are only wireless G capable), I would grab a wireless N router. Something like a D-Link DIR-655 would do the trick. Having more than a few clients connected over wireless can be really taxing on the router's processor, especially if they are all trying to push a lot of traffic across the network at once. The processor's in wireless N routers are generally faster, and are more capable of handling a higher load.

If you plan to be sharing massive amounts of data between all of the connected computers, buy a wireless N router, and as many Gigabit switches as you need (depending on where you are physically going to be setting these machines up). Relying on the wireless to move a lot of data around the connected client machines is a bad idea.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
BTW you don't need to put anything in Gateway or DNS, when you are crossing over, Those are only for internet usage

Wireless
Cheaper (You will only need a wireless router)
more portability
Less Physical hardware to setup and take down
More likely to drop connections and or lag.

Wired
Better over all network experience, Faster less lag, no chance of a disconnect (unless your cable gets unplugged :) )
Can be more expensive (You will need a Router as well as a switch(s) and Ethernet cables
You can only go as far as you cable can go.
If it where me I would buy a wireless router and a 5 or 8 port switch that would get you 7 port with 5 or 10 ports with the 8 . Then put who is left on wireless.

Suggestions
I like to keep 10-12 divices per access point, but that is for surfing the web, I have never played a game over wireless with many so i don't know how well that will work.

You can get an old 16 or 24 100Mb switch used for cheap at surplus or on ebay I have gotten a few 24 ports for $10, Once I got one for free :). 100Mb will be ok for gaming, But for copying files and stuff, gigabit is always nice to have.

If you are going to use multiple switches like 3 5 ports or something, try to avoid daisy chaining them off of one another. I would recommend connecting them all to a gigabit switch or router like the one The_Prophecy suggested.

qiyi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Yup i agree on the wired. Already bought a 16port switch.
What I'm in doubt is whether xp and vista/windows 7 can connect to each other without any problem. Seems like i can access from windows 7 to xp but not the other way around.
Anyway, decided to change to all windows 7 and vista. Windows 7 to windows 7 should be easy to configure i hope.

qiyi,

Your configuration is a bit off. If it is a local cross over cable then do this,

PCA
IP: 192.168.2.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
GW:blank
DNS:blank

PCB
IP:192.168.2.3
Netmask:255.255.255.0
GW:blank
DNS:blank

Ensure NETBIOS over TCP is enabled on both adapters, you don't have a DNS server so you want to ensure they can resolve a local WINS address (NETBIOS). Also disable the windows FW, it is completely unecessary unless your connecting your PC directly to the internet without a SOHO gateway device, or if your using a public wireless hotspot.

Windows 7 has this nice feature that lets you setup a profile for different networks. Ensure Link layer topology mapping and discovery is enabled on both PC's adapters. When the PC asks about the network tell it that its "home network". Inside the windows FW configuration set the FW to disabled under home network. This will deactivate the FW whenever it is a local connection. Or you can just disable the Windows Firewall service.

The two PC's should "see" each other just fine now and you can share files over SMB.