Sign in with
Your question

Need advise - bloody build

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 1:45:59 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a PC (switching from Mac back to PC again) as I'm thinking of switching to an adobe based system that also allows me to game like mad.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting. Am I getting the best bang for the buck?
Any recommendations or changes?
I use primarily for video editing and rendering... and intense gaming.
Here's what I sorta made on cyberpower

Tower: Corsair Obsidian 800D
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz LGA2011
Mobo: Gigabyte x79-UD5
Memory: 4GBx8 Corsair Vengeance
GPU: SLI Nvidia Geforce GTX670 eVGA
PSU: 1200Watt Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX1200 80
Cooling System: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360mm w/ Triple Fan
Sound: Asus Xonar D1 7.1 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card
Harddrives:
2TB Single Drive SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB cache 7200RPM
3TB Single Drive SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB cache 7200RPM
Optical Drives:
LG 12x Internal Super Multi Blu-Ray Rewriter
LG UH12LS28K 12x Blu Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive

Adding a few other things such as:
NZXT Internal USB 6-Port Expansion Module
LED Light Strip
500-1200 RPM T.B. Silence Fans 8-14dBA
Noise Reduction addons like:
Sound Absorbing Foam, Power Supply Gasket, Anti Vibration Fan Mounts
Koolance Blue Color Coolant
NZXT Sentry LX Aluminium Display
IEEE 1394

Currently the pirce is at $3933
Am I getting the best bang for the buck?
Anything overkill here? Or stupidly placed?

I am particularly concerned with the heat because I am moving back to Malaysia soon and I dont want my system to melt - hence lotsa fans and the best (or at least I think it is) cooling system.

I have a black widow and g700 mouse, and a pc360 headset (if this info helps somehow)
I also have a 24" Apple Cinema Display but I would like to get another one.

Its hard because I am torn between the Dell U2711 or Apple Thunderbolt Display...

Anyways, thank you for reading and if you could kindly advice me, I would really appreciate it.

Best,
J

More about : advise bloody build

May 14, 2012 2:04:05 AM

Sandy Bridge E doesn't offer more gaming performance than sandy bridge or ivy bridge. So I'd go with an unlocked i7 ivy bridge. At that budget, I'd also go for a SSD raid. You can get almost 1 GB/s Read speed.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:30:51 AM

agree with sam, a 4 core HT 3770k is possibly the better chip - you lose 2 cores but gain a more performant architecture and possibly higher clocks as well. you will probably want a Z77 mobo as well, gigabyte is as always the go-to brand. (no need to fork out $400for a Sniper, tho)

1)ditch the 3TB HD and get a SSD, many good 240Gb SSDs for $200. you *really* want a SSD. trust me.

2) max of 16Gb of ram, it has been proven that above this systems perform worse (the mem controller gets overwhelmed)

3) NO NEED AT ALL for a 1200W psu. 850W is waay above any real life power reqs you will ever have.

4) Dell makes astounding TFTs .. i would have no hesitation picking one up.

5) 670s in SLI .. wow .. for gaming, complete overkill - but for rendering, i have *no* idea so ask someone else.

6) watercooling is meh, you won't really need it and i don't know how much you're being charged for it, a IB chip will do 4.4Ghz on a good air cooler or a cheaper corsair H100.

that bluray will also burn dvds, so no need 2 double up. everything else sounds cool.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 9:43:58 AM

joels87 said:

Currently the pirce is at $3933
Am I getting the best bang for the buck?
Anything overkill here?
Best 'bang for buck'? Not close.
How much extra FPS or faster editing does a Corsair Obsidian case get you over a quality $150 gaming case?
Same question for $300 CORSAIR AX1200 PSU over $150 850W PSU.

Just a few examples where you seem to be 'throwing money' at parts.

m
l
May 14, 2012 9:47:18 AM

joels87 said:
Apple Thunderbolt Display...
Not compatible with your other parts.
m
l
May 14, 2012 10:35:59 AM

Do you have a budget in mind?, if you are happy to spend 4k then spend it, if you want to get it under 2500 for instance then say so. Gut feel is that you could get 80-90% of the performance (better than 100% in some areas) for a lot less money.

There is an MSI 1155 board with thunderbolt, but its a really early implementation and so there are issues. Anand has a review up.
m
l
May 14, 2012 10:58:29 AM

Im assuming that you are planning on playing at 2540x1440 resolution as you have question about purchasing a U2711.

One suggestion I would have would be instead of getting SLI GTX 670's,
get one GTX 690.

That would knock any game out at 2540x1440, and also allow room for future expansion.
m
l
May 18, 2012 1:21:41 AM

Heya Guys,

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

After much more research, I think I'd like to go with this setup:

i7 3930k
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth x79
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Ram: 8 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Harddrives:
Corsair Force Series GT 240gb SSD
Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200 RPM
GPU: EVGA Gtx 690

A few quick questions:

1) @Digdog I am still contemplating max of 16gb ram. I understand for gaming the sweet spot is 16gb but will video rendering / editing benefit from more ram? Also, my other worry is if this mobo can take all 8 dimms or would it not recognize them due to overload? I tried looking this up but to no avail. the only other post i found was concern for 8 4gb ram at 2133mhz. Do you mind explaining why max 16gb? Thank you! :D 

2) Going for one GTX690 as @jollyJay recommended! So that maybe next time I can quad sli two 690s. A few quick questions if you don't mind:
- What is the recommended PSU for quad SLI 690s?
- Also, can someone please explain the diff between quad sli and 4-way sli? Especially in reference to motherboards? I was contemplating between the Asus Rampage IV Extreme and the Asus Sabertooth x79. On the asus website, it says Rampage supports 4-way SLI and quad sli for Asus sabertooth. Does this mean you can't put 2 gtx690s on the rampage? Or ... does it mean you can fit 4 gtx690s on the rampage? I know people have fit 4 gtx680s but I'm curious if 4 gtx690s is possible since each is dual gpu - will it be too much load for the motherboard?

3) Liquid Cooling:
- I wanna do the liquid cooling rig myself (really excited about this part!)
- I plan to use dual radiators. 1 for CPU and motherboard. and 1 for GPU and perhaps memory.
When building this, I will only liquid cool the cpu and motherboard. And wait until a gtx690 water block is available. However, my question is this: can the gtx690 (without o/c) perform well just by itself without overheating and perhaps melting? I do plan to bring this back to Malaysia where average weather is around 30 degrees Celsius ..
- Also, I only know of the Koolance brand but I don't like their fan meters - they look ugly... Any other recommendations?
- I would also appreciate it if you could recommend me some Radiators, pumps, and reservoirs. And silent fans?

4) Tower
Any recommendations for a good computer case that can allow 2 radiators, 2 reservoirs, and enough space for some fans? Should I stick with the obsidian 800D or is there something smaller that works just fine as well?

5) Sound card... This one, I have absolutely no idea..
I use the Bose Companion 5 for my mac and plan to stick with it still. It uses USB ...
I do have a PC360 but thats about it. Whats a good soundcard? I dont think I need 7.1 ... I might get a 5.1 speaker set.. and if so, any recommendations? Its hard to find 5.1 computer speakers for some reason :/ 

6) Anybody here used the dell u2711 or u3011? Can a single gtx690 handle the dell u3011?

Once again, thank you so much for helping me out! Last time i built a computer was 5 years ago (before transitioning to mac)... things are so different now T.T
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:59:00 AM

690's have only got a single sli finger, and hence dual is the only option on 690's. There may be 'software' limits to > 4 GPU's which is why there is only a dual 690 option.

with regards to memory the sweetspot for gaming has probably just shifted from 4GB to 8GB. I know that my Z77 Vpro can take 4x4GB. Ultimately that extra 16GB could be £85 (there's not a lot of benefit to faster ram in real life (its tiny fractions of a second)) so buy the 32GB 2xquad kits, and send a kits back. Alternatively download the manual and check if there are any 32GB configurations it accepts.

Considering this is also a production machine, where will you backup your data to?
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:16:45 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!