Closed

Save Open Dialog box View

Whenever I go to open files (alright, almost always) I like to view the
details and then sort by date modified. I hate that every time I go to
File|Open in an application I have to reselect the view and sort. Is
there any way to make "Details" view permanent? The sort is less
important (it is one click).
6 answers Last reply
More about save open dialog view

    michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Whenever I go to open files (alright, almost always) I like to view
    > the details and then sort by date modified. I hate that every time I
    > go to File|Open in an application I have to reselect the view and
    > sort. Is there any way to make "Details" view permanent? The sort is
    > less important (it is one click).

    This cannot be done natively in XP.
    You can accomplish what you want with a third party program. See the
    following link.

    File-Ex
    http://www.file-ex.com/welcome.html

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    The Sort part can be done. Close a folder window with the sort you want by Ctrl + the X on titlebar.

    It MUST be done in a file folder (not My Computer or other special folders). This sets the system default sort. Nearly everything else but dialogs have their own sort setting that overrides the system default.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    David Candy wrote:
    > The Sort part can be done. Close a folder window with the sort you
    > want by Ctrl + the X on titlebar.
    >
    > It MUST be done in a file folder (not My Computer or other special
    > folders). This sets the system default sort. Nearly everything else
    > but dialogs have their own sort setting that overrides the system
    > default.

    Thanks, David

    That does work here, is this something new? I thought everything had been
    tried?

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Get to the Open or Save box, right click to set the Sort Order, Click the Views box, set your preference view (mine is Details), then hold Ctrl and hit X. Nothing happens on screen, but it does work. Close out the programs and re-open. Wah-La!

Configuration Dialog Customization Microsoft Windows XP