Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hello guys, I recently bought a Phenom II x4 965 from Newegg and it's been running seemingly hot ever since I installed it. I used the heatsink that came with it and it's pre applied thermal paste but the cpu is running at around 55c-60c IDLE. I've seen it jump to to around 70c-75c! when gaming using HWinfo as my monitoring program.

What is wrong with this? My case is only an HP pavillion case with 1 exhaust fan so it doesn't have the best cooling, but I was getting 35C-45C idle with my Athlon II x4 635 before.

What's also strange is that when it got to 75C the fan actually seemed to spin up even faster and actually reduced the temps back down to 65C. Why is the fan only kicking on at higher speeds when it gets to around 75C? I need answers guys because I'm worried I wasted 110$ :\

Is there anyway I can increase the fan speed before it gets too hot?

Solution

I suggest that you get the power from a 4 pin molex connecter adapter for fans they are cheap and common accessories for after market heatsinks. Look on new eggs site should be available there, or most any decent pc supply store. This will give you full power to the fan and full...

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
You didn't waste your money the Phenom II X4 965 BE is a great CPU (although it's a pretty unneeded upgrade in your case).
You can configure when the fan speeds up and slows down in the bios.
And to fix the temperature problems either buy a new case or keep you current case open.

febfive

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

What's the normal temp for the 965 from low to high?

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Well other people are getting around 40C with the stock heatsink but they say it makes a loud coiling noise. I don't get this which makes me believe my fan isn't going fast enough. I really don't care how fast the fan spins as long as the cpu stays cool.

Al1234

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

that's why its hot.. :D

Get yourself Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and upgrade your heatsink. Doing these two steps will easily decrease your temps. I have a P2X4 945 with AS5 and a Titan Fenrir CPU cooler. My idle temp stays below 50°C.

As far as adapters go, you could buy a fan controller to regulate your fan speeds, but with only one exhaust vent, it won't do much for you.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Well I don't have the budget for a new cooler but I do have some aftermarket thermal paste lying around and I could probably afford a cheap fan controller, the fan turned up does in fact seem to cool down thr cpu by about 10C and I doubt it was at 100% since it doesn't sound like a jet engine (what others have said about the fan). My hope is I can get something relatively cheap so I can crank the heatsink fan as I don't care much about sound it makes.

A_Real_Overclocker

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008

I suggest that you get the power from a 4 pin molex connecter adapter for fans they are cheap and common accessories for after market heatsinks. Look on new eggs site should be available there, or most any decent pc supply store. This will give you full power to the fan and full fan speed.
It should run full speed continuously now if that is a problem look for after market fan controllers with thermal temperature control. It seems that the onboard has some sort of thermal control that is obviously gone bonkers.

Solution

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Would this work? It doesn't say it comes with the cables but on the official website it does: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5662313&CatId=501

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=375

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Did you install that 965 into an HP computer btw? Might want to list the full specs of your computer if it is not. Athlon's are 95 watt TDP and the 965 is 125 watt TDP so you could be in for some trouble down the road if your motherboard is 95 watt tdp that only supports the 95 watt versions of the Phenoms. I made this mistake when I tried upgrading my old hp. In addition to running hotter, OEM motherboards cannot update their bios without a lengthy,painful and expensive process. Just keep this in mind if you are running an HP desktop.

To answer your question. Yes you should be able to install that fan controller and modify the speeds of your cpu fan. Everything I stated above can also affect the thermal readouts since the motherboard was probably not updated to accurately read those phenoms. Good Luck.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Thanks, I can't find the exact computer since it's a few years old now but it is an HP and the motherboard is here: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-2a92-mainboard-specs-742010h517p/

Edit: Yes I installed it myself

Just Replace the thermalpaste, it sound like the pre applied stuff has gone, clean the cooler base and cpu heatspreader with isopropyl alcohol and apply the thermalpaste with the pea blob in the middle of the cpu method and evenly and firmly re apply the heatsink evenly then attach the clips.

you dont need to worry about a 4pin fan in a 3 pin connector, it will work perfectly fine, the 4th cable is just a speed controlling cable so the fan should be running at full pelt all the time as it is in a 3 pin socket and is perfectly fine

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I would but that would require taking out the mobo which would be a huge pain and I don't really have the money to.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I thought that it should be running full speed too but it's not, there has to be something else limiting the fan speed but I just don't know what.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Mine is over heating too. I just ordered a evo 212 cooler master but a good temporary solution is to remove the side panel from your case and popint a fan inside. It's what I have been doing for a week.

Just make sure you don't spill anything in there lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.