Sign in with
Your question

Could I make a decent 300$ computer for gaming.

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2012 4:44:00 PM

I have the money to make a 300$ computer and I was wondering if I could get help building one. I WILL be upgrading this slowly, but for the time being I just want a starter one that can handle most games smoothly. Im not looking for a super computer that can handle any game at 1920*1080 max out settings and still have a ridiculous FPS. I want one that can handle most normal games with a stable FPS on normal settings. Im on a pretty tight budget right now. Thanks for the help!
May 18, 2012 5:06:08 PM

$300 is to low for getting just a CPU, motherboard and RAM save up more so you will be able to avoid the parts ok
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:22:55 PM

Start with a computer case, and a power supply. I'd shoot for around 500 watts or more if you plan on upgrading.

When you start saving up, buy an intell 1155 socket motherboard, and use a pentium processor to start. 4 gb of ram should do you well.

Hard drive, and OS, and a $100 graphics card would do you good.

Even then you're looking at $500 minimum. That's without a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2012 5:37:57 PM

No you can't.
The most essential parts will be more.

Your best bet with that budget is to look for a used pc on craig's list, or e-bay.
If you shop well, you will get a case, psu, dvd, keyboard, mouse, OS that you can use on a new build. You will get some sort of cpu, ram, and graphics adapter to get started, but will probably need to be replaced for a decent(my definition) gamer.
Add to that a monitor.

Eventually, you will end up with something like this tom's $650 build.
It does not include the os, monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-ove...

Actually, you can even cut back on that build a bit.
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:13:48 PM

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

How does this look? Did I miss anything? Its going to be a wireless desktop btw.

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX
. .
Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
. .
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

. .
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x
. .
GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/4G

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:37:09 PM

Let me give you some advice:

1. Don't buy parts, then save up and buy more parts. By the time you build your system it will be out of date. Save up some more money and get the whole thing at once.

2. You could always get a cheap tower like a Dell or Acer, which has Pentium Dual Core or Athlon X4, then just add a PSU and decent graphics card. It won't be great, but you will save a lot of money in the long run, plus you don't have to buy a $100 windows license.
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:39:09 PM

The Rosewill case does not come with power supply, as far as I can tell. Your URL above is secure, so we can't see the page you pointed to.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 7:22:05 PM

I'd have to disagree with most of the advice in this thread and say it IS possible to build a bargain-basemant machine in the $300 range (before OS), although that's probably increased more toward $400 thanks to the ongoing ripoff prices of hard drives. It looks like the OP has done that.

The #1 most important thing is to pick a setup where an eventual CPU upgrade is both possible and makes sense, which is rare. But in this instance, I'd say he's hit that narrow band, where the upgrade to an FX processor someday would be worth it. If he is lucky and can unlock the fourth core on that CPU, all the better. The other thing is to be realistic about your expectations - in the near term, you'll have a machine that will be adequate, but not great by any means.

One other thing to keep in mind - that motherboard only supports 95W CPUs, so not all the Bulldozers will work on it. Right now, I think you're looking at the FX-6100 and the 8xxx series won't be supported. But who knows, they may come out with something that will.
m
l
May 18, 2012 7:38:25 PM

I'd say you can do it. A Pentium G630 and cheap motherboard is around 100, cheap RAM is around 40, a cheap hard drive is around 40, a cheap case and good 500W power supply is around 100, and then you have to buy the graphics card. You'll go slightly over budget, the precise amount depending on the graphics card.

As the above poster points out, adding Windows to the shopping basket kills your budget. If you are a student you can get a cheap Windows license however.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2012 7:41:13 PM

charlesyes said:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

How does this look? Did I miss anything? Its going to be a wireless desktop btw.

here's a good link to your system.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

yes... POWERSUPPLY

I would go with an H61MB and a G530 or 620 CPU. more power for less $

also go with 2x2GB of ram instead of one stick. most CPU/MB support dual channel memory makes a significant performance difference.

go with a wireless PCI or PCIe card instead of a usb stick... trust me on this.

Best I could do is $387 with the wireless NIC.

Combo for the MB and CPU Saves $10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

+$14 shipping and MIR's of +$30. I'm not even sure how well a GT 440 will game?
Final is $361 as long as the MIR's pan out:) 

LINK TO SYSTEM
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 8:48:54 PM

jerreddredd said:
go with a wireless PCI or PCIe card instead of a usb stick... trust me on this.

To the OP - have to add: This is probably one of the most important pieces of advice you'll hear in this thread.

As for the OS, you're going to end up spending a minimum of $80 on Windows, and that's if you catch one of the OEM versions on promo. If money is that tight, you might consider Linux in the short term and go to Windows when you can save the cash. You'll be able to get some games to work via Wine, but others not so much. Kind of a roll of the dice, but hey, it's free.

Of course, if money is THAT tight, I'm not sure how you'll be affording any games to play in the first place.
m
l
!