Sign in with
Your question

Problem with graphics card on motherboard heatsink

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2012 12:13:23 PM

Hi I just bought a zotac GTX 560 (1GB) as a stop gap to improve my system while i build funds for a total overhaul : http://www.ebuyer.com/283727-zotac-gtx-560-1gb-ddr5-dua...

The problem though is that when I put it into the pc I found the card's cooling solution is so big the fan protuding off the back has ended up resting directly over part of the motherboards heatsink. About half of it. It may infact be resting on it, but I cant be sure since I cant get a good angle to see but its certainly milimetres away at best and when I put my fingers down there it felt like it might indeed be pressing against it or at least so close I cant tell any different.

Is it at all dangerous to the graphics card, its cooling solution or the mainboard to use it like this?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 12:43:36 PM

No i don't think there is any danger there. Unless the card is pushing or pulling down on the heatsink sausing the motherboard to bend. thats it, you should be fine!
March 16, 2012 12:58:16 PM

Rockdpm said:
No i don't think there is any danger there. Unless the card is pushing or pulling down on the heatsink sausing the motherboard to bend. thats it, you should be fine!

Sounds good to me, I shall havea close look to see if its bending the board :)  I did think i was worrying to much, worse case scenario is probably the graphics card fan has a bit more heat to push out.

Thanks
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 12:59:27 PM

Yes its extremely dangerous, call your local nuclear power station and put them on high alert.
March 16, 2012 1:00:02 PM

geekapproved said:
Yes its extremely dangerous, call your local nuclear power station and put them on high alert.

-gets on the phone-
March 16, 2012 1:15:42 PM

Update: I have found a way to get a good look at it. Popped one of the vacant card slot covers out, turned the tower over and it gave me a good vantage point to take a look at the heat sink. They are infact not touching there appears to be a good few milimetres between the two :)  Ive plugged in the towers top fan just to insure it has good air flow (air going in from the top and out the back, I hope thats good).
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 2:27:12 PM

Sounds good. Yea i have had some close calls when it comes to graphics card and the high/mid profile motherboard heatsinks
!