Sign in with
Your question

Newly built PC freezing randomly (and in BIOS). Really need some help.

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2012 6:05:32 PM

I recently built a new PC, it has been having intermittent random freezes, usually within the first 10 minutes of being turned on. I know it is not overheating because i have run CoreTemp and it stays around 30C. After it has been on for about 10 min I can play intensive games for HOURS and I have no issue. It is ALWAYS within the first 10 min of startup. I figured I may have a RAM issue so I downloaded memtest and started to run it with all sticks in. It shutdown within 10 min of running, so I took all sticks out except for 1. Ran memtest again and it ran for about 20 min and the same thing happened. I figured maybe my BIOS has an option to shutdown when RAM errors are detected so I booted into BIOS. It froze within about 5 seconds. I swapped out the stick of RAM for a new one, thinking maybe the first one was the bad stick. Booted into BIOS again to look for the option and it froze once again.

I am at a loss other than saying its the motherboards fault and replacing it. I dont know what else could be doing it. I also schedule a CHKDSK to run at startup and it froze at 14% of stage 4, after reboot it froze in the same spot. I figured maybe it was the hard drive but that wouldnt explain the freezing during BIOS menus. Below are my PC components, any help would be greatly appreciated!

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

GPU: EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 6:52:45 PM

Check your RAM. Other than that, I'm thinking possibly a virus, but if it's in your BIOS... then that's weird.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 7:33:15 PM

1. IS RAM on compatibility list ?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

2. It matters which slot the RAM is in.......

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...

I would suggest testing the memory two modules at a time with the RAM installed in Sot Nos. 1 and 3. These would be the 2nd and 4th from the CPU as shown on page 16 of the manual. If they're bad, I'd also suggest an exchange for low profile versions.
May 18, 2012 7:42:15 PM

The ram I have is not on that list, however there is an almost identical set on the list. They said at the bottom that due to the large number of models not all are listed. I don't know if that would cause the problem but would be willing to give it a shot. When I tested the RAM i tested all 4 sticks and I tested 1 stick at a time in the No 1 slot, I can try 2 sticks in the 1 and 3 slots if it makes a difference though.
!