media player problem

December 29, 2004 2:14:49 AM

I'm having problems with some video files - some I can see, some I see
upside down and back to front and some I can hear only, not see, some see
not hear. I need some help finding the correct codecs I think. Mediaplayer
says it's looking for the codecs, then says there was an error downloading
them and nothing changes. Any suggestions, please? I've seen loads of codecs
on the web, but I don't know which to use. May mess up the system good.
Please give me some good advice.
Thanx
brian

More about : media player problem

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:14:50 AM

Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:

Windows Media Player FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...

Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

Windows Media Player Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"brian" wrote:

| I'm having problems with some video files - some I can see, some I see
| upside down and back to front and some I can hear only, not see, some see
| not hear. I need some help finding the correct codecs I think. Mediaplayer
| says it's looking for the codecs, then says there was an error downloading
| them and nothing changes. Any suggestions, please? I've seen loads of codecs
| on the web, but I don't know which to use. May mess up the system good.
| Please give me some good advice.
| Thanx
| brian
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:14:50 AM

If these video files are of differing file types, like .mpeg, .mov, .avi,
..mpg and the proprietary file types from Real Player, you will have a hell
of a time playing all of them well using only Windows Media Player. And
then there is Divx I use Windows Media Player, Divx Player, and I use
freeware substitutes for Real Player and Quicktime. That's no less than
four (4) players. Windows Media Player may say it can play all video file
types, but experience and time have proven that to be wishful thinking. I
don't even bother to try to play .mov or .avi files on WMP. I use Dvix or
my Real Player substitute.

"brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote in message
> I'm having problems with some video files - some I can see, some I see
> upside down and back to front and some I can hear only, not see, some see
> not hear. I need some help finding the correct codecs I think. Mediaplayer
> says it's looking for the codecs, then says there was an error downloading
> them and nothing changes. Any suggestions, please? I've seen loads of
> codecs on the web, but I don't know which to use. May mess up the system
> good. Please give me some good advice.
> Thanx
> brian

December 30, 2004 9:29:14 AM

| "brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
| > I'm having problems with some video files - some I can see, some I see
| > upside down and back to front and some I can hear only, not see, some see
| > not hear. I need some help finding the correct codecs I think. Mediaplayer
| > says it's looking for the codecs, then says there was an error downloading
| > them and nothing changes. Any suggestions, please? I've seen loads of
| > codecs on the web, but I don't know which to use. May mess up the system
| > good. Please give me some good advice.

Brian,

Exactly which file types? You may need to contact the authors of those files.

"guestuser" <guestuser@yahoo.com> wrote:
| If these video files are of differing file types, like .mpeg, .mov, .avi,
| .mpg and the proprietary file types from Real Player, you will have a hell
| of a time playing all of them well using only Windows Media Player. And
| then there is Divx I use Windows Media Player, Divx Player, and I use
| freeware substitutes for Real Player and Quicktime. That's no less than
| four (4) players. Windows Media Player may say it can play all video file
| types, but experience and time have proven that to be wishful thinking. I
| don't even bother to try to play .mov or .avi files on WMP. I use Dvix or
| my Real Player substitute.

Guestuser,

I view all the above video files with one (1) player
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"

For DivX, QT-Alt and Real-Alt, I installed only the codecs, not their players.

Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 can play all _Microsoft_ video file types.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 9:29:15 AM

Hi there, a nonymous --
I'm using version 10 of Microsoft Windows Media Player and it still has
difficulty playing .mov and .avi files. When it asks to go out and find the
required codecs to properly play these and other file types, it invariably
can't find them. Therefore, I don't even bother to try anymore to play
these files in WMP. My RealAlt and QTAlt players never fail to play these
files. WMP works just fine playing CD's, DVD's and .mpeg video files as
well as .wmv files, of course.

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o PHgWUe7EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> | "brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
> | > I'm having problems with some video files - some I can see, some I see
> | > upside down and back to front and some I can hear only, not see, some
see
> | > not hear. I need some help finding the correct codecs I think.
Mediaplayer
> | > says it's looking for the codecs, then says there was an error
downloading
> | > them and nothing changes. Any suggestions, please? I've seen loads of
> | > codecs on the web, but I don't know which to use. May mess up the
system
> | > good. Please give me some good advice.
>
> Brian,
>
> Exactly which file types? You may need to contact the authors of those
files.

> "guestuser" <guestuser@yahoo.com> wrote:
> | If these video files are of differing file types, like .mpeg, .mov,
..avi,
> | .mpg and the proprietary file types from Real Player, you will have a
hell
> | of a time playing all of them well using only Windows Media Player. And
> | then there is Divx I use Windows Media Player, Divx Player, and I use
> | freeware substitutes for Real Player and Quicktime. That's no less than
> | four (4) players. Windows Media Player may say it can play all video
file
> | types, but experience and time have proven that to be wishful thinking.
> | don't even bother to try to play .mov or .avi files on WMP. I use Dvix
or
> | my Real Player substitute.
>
> Guestuser,
>
> I view all the above video files with one (1) player
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"
>
> For DivX, QT-Alt and Real-Alt, I installed only the codecs, not their
players.

> Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 can play all _Microsoft_ video file
types.

December 30, 2004 9:29:16 AM

Just tried RealAlt on the offending .avi file and it plays it fine - upside
down. So what do I do about that?
thanx for any advice
brian
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o G3nrue7EHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi there, a nonymous --
> I'm using version 10 of Microsoft Windows Media Player and it still has
> difficulty playing .mov and .avi files. When it asks to go out and find
> the
> required codecs to properly play these and other file types, it invariably
> can't find them. Therefore, I don't even bother to try anymore to play
> these files in WMP. My RealAlt and QTAlt players never fail to play these
> files. WMP works just fine playing CD's, DVD's and .mpeg video files as
> well as .wmv files, of course.
>
> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o PHgWUe7EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> see
> see
> Mediaplayer
> downloading
> system
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> Exactly which file types? You may need to contact the authors of those
> files.
>>

>> "guestuser" <guestuser@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> | If these video files are of differing file types, like .mpeg, .mov,
> .avi,
>> | .mpg and the proprietary file types from Real Player, you will have a
> hell
>> | of a time playing all of them well using only Windows Media Player.
>> And
>> | then there is Divx I use Windows Media Player, Divx Player, and I use
>> | freeware substitutes for Real Player and Quicktime. That's no less
>> than
>> | four (4) players. Windows Media Player may say it can play all video
> file
>> | types, but experience and time have proven that to be wishful thinking.
>> | don't even bother to try to play .mov or .avi files on WMP. I use Dvix
> or
>> | my Real Player substitute.
>>
>> Guestuser,
>>
>> I view all the above video files with one (1) player
>> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"
>>
>> For DivX, QT-Alt and Real-Alt, I installed only the codecs, not their
> players.
>>
>> Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 can play all _Microsoft_ video file
> types.

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:38:48 PM

"brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
| Just tried RealAlt on the offending .avi file and it plays it fine - upside
| down. So what do I do about that?
| thanx for any advice

Brian,

RealAlt is for playing Real Media files such as .RAM

The DivX codec should play DivX-AVI files

Right-click the offending .AVI file
Properties
Summary
Video

What is the Value for Video Compression?

Have you tried playing the offending .AVI file with
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"
December 30, 2004 9:09:13 PM

Thanks for your help a nonymous - the Properties, Summary, Video says XVID.
Mplayer2 also looks for a codec that it can't find. Mplayer10 does the same
and if I leave it long enough it'll start playing the thing in a tiny little
square in the middle of the screen, but no sound. It's a movie I've d/loaded
using emule - maybe I just got a bummer. What do you think?
Thanks again
brian
"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o ahgzfg7EHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
> | Just tried RealAlt on the offending .avi file and it plays it fine -
> upside
> | down. So what do I do about that?
> | thanx for any advice
>
> Brian,
>
> RealAlt is for playing Real Media files such as .RAM
>
> The DivX codec should play DivX-AVI files
>
> Right-click the offending .AVI file
> Properties
> Summary
> Video
>
> What is the Value for Video Compression?
>
> Have you tried playing the offending .AVI file with
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"

December 30, 2004 9:21:18 PM

Try Divx player... it works virtually every time for me :-)

> Thanks for your help a nonymous - the Properties, Summary, Video says
> XVID. Mplayer2 also looks for a codec that it can't find. Mplayer10 does
> the same and if I leave it long enough it'll start playing the thing in a
> tiny little square in the middle of the screen, but no sound. It's a movie
> I've d/loaded using emule - maybe I just got a bummer. What do you think?
> Thanks again
> brian
> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o ahgzfg7EHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
>> | Just tried RealAlt on the offending .avi file and it plays it fine -
>> upside
>> | down. So what do I do about that?
>> | thanx for any advice
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> RealAlt is for playing Real Media files such as .RAM
>>
>> The DivX codec should play DivX-AVI files
>>
>> Right-click the offending .AVI file
>> Properties
>> Summary
>> Video
>>
>> What is the Value for Video Compression?
>>
>> Have you tried playing the offending .AVI file with
>> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:52:43 AM

"brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
| Thanks for your help a nonymous - the Properties, Summary, Video says XVID.
| Mplayer2 also looks for a codec that it can't find. Mplayer10 does the same
| and if I leave it long enough it'll start playing the thing in a tiny little
| square in the middle of the screen, but no sound. It's a movie I've d/loaded
| using emule - maybe I just got a bummer. What do you think?
| Thanks again

Brian,

You need an XVID codec - try a Google search.

For "upside down, try http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#upsidedown

Else, try news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player
(as Carey suggested)
January 1, 2005 4:40:50 PM

Thanks to all for the help - appreciate the time and effort. I've managed to
watch most of what I was trying to see.
brian

!