ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I just got a hold of 2 – dual core 3.2GHz XEONs on a new SuperMicro Motherboard.
Very nice, gives me a techwoody.

Question: Specifically to AMD fans…

Does anyone know AMD’s intentions / release dates, for the next generation Opteron platform?

Technically, AMD really doesn’t need to upgrade the CPU much. Intel is just now catching up, but the AMD platform is dated. The Intel board I have here has 8 SAS (serial attached SCSI) ports on RAID 5, and 6 SATA II ports also on RAID 5. In addition it’s got the fully buffered RAM.

Also AMD has priced themselves out of the market from my point of view, so their should be a AMD price drop soon too. The Opteron is still a bit faster, but much more expensive. Not worth it right now.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The Next Opterons Will Likely Be Based On The Quad-Core K8L With Improvments Like DDR2 And "Possibles" Such As, An L3 Cache, AMDs Versions Of Memory Disambiguation And Macro Fusion Etc.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
AMD is going to be pulling some neat memory tricks in the next year. DDR3 will be a sight to behold. I'm personally disgusted by this high-latency DDR2 they have out now running at 2t cmd rate which is killing AM2 latency advantage. Conroe was designed to hide the negative affects of the FSB and speed of RAM because everthing it needs resides in that cache for most programs out there right now. AMD needs LL 1T CMD Rate RAM again and DDR3 will bring it all and then some.

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I’m generally an AMD fan, but I’ve had trouble switching to AMD for servers and high performance workstations.

FB-DIMM memory is truly a superior memory architecture, it’s not just speed, but integrity.

Integrated SAS RAID and SATA RAID! That’s increadable on a board that costs me only $100 more than a high-end AMD board.

AMD’s got two things going for em in the server market – low power consumption (the XEON 5000 is a staggering 500W minimum!) and superior processing power.

They’re currently loosing out on cost (by a lot), drive interfaces (not even close), and memory architecture.

I don’t doubt that this will change. I hope soon.

TRENDING THREADS