550W PSU enough for i5-3570k and GTX 560 ti? (No overclocking)

Hi,

As above, will a 550W PSU be enough for a i5-3570k CPU and GTX 560 ti GPU? I won't be doing anything too power consuming like overclocking...

Thanks!
20 answers Last reply
More about 550w 3570k overclocking
  1. What is the make/model of the PSU? A good quality 550W PSU with two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors and 32A on the 12V rails is sufficient for a stock GTX 560ti.
  2. Rugger said:
    What is the make/model of the PSU? A good quality 550W PSU with two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors and 32A on the 12V rails is sufficient for a stock GTX 560ti.

    32a on a 550w ?
    IMO a "good quality" 550w should have 38a or more available, and would be fine for all but extreme overclocking
  3. delluser1 said:
    32a on a 550w ?
    IMO a "good quality" 550w should have 38a or more available, and would be fine for all but extreme overclocking

    A good 550W is likely to have even more than 38A like the 44a on the XFX Core 550W or the 40A on the Seasonic S12II-520W. I was simply trying to say that any PSU that is married to a GTX 560ti should have at least 32A on the 12V rails. I can definitely see what you're saying though: a 550W PSU with only 32A on the 12V rails is not indicative of a good quality PSU...
  4. http://www.localgeek.com.au/show_prod.php?class_id=powersupply&prod_id=wide.500

    Its this one lol, its really old... My guesses are that it won't be enough?
  5. That is definitely not a good quality PSU and it doesn't have any PCIe power connectors. You should definitely get a new PSU. What's your budget and what site(s) do you plan on shopping?
  6. jcho7913 said:
    http://www.localgeek.com.au/show_prod.php?class_id=powersupply&prod_id=wide.500

    Its this one lol, its really old... My guesses are that it won't be enough?

    No offence, but yuk
    A quick Google search shows what I guess is the latest model, with no pcie connectors ( not mentioned in your link either ) and a single 25a 12v rail
  7. My budget is quite low, I'm planning to spend around $500-$550 to buy a motherboard, i5-3570k and a GPU around $200.

    Could you guys recommend a good GPU around $200 (preferably less), a motherboard thats Z77 around $100-140ish and now a cheap good PSU for this setup?
  8. Websites where you want to shop?
  9. Oh oops sorry about that, I'll be using newegg.com
    I tried to find a shop in my country (Australia) but newegg seems to be cheaper and most of them don't have delivery fees haha :)

    Thanks again!
  10. jcho7913 said:
    Oh oops sorry about that, I'll be using newegg.com
    I tried to find a shop in my country (Australia) but newegg seems to be cheaper and most of them don't have delivery fees haha :)

    Thanks again!

    Newegg doesn't ship internationally, and the added cost if they did would negate any deals
  11. Oh didn't realise :(
    How about:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php
  12. you shoudl be fine with a Corsair CX 500, a quality PSU

    also, check www.pcpartpicker.com -- Australia is one of the available countries
  13. Corsair CX 500 sounds great for me for the PSU part (cheap :)), thanks !
    Now the motherboard and GPU ..
  14. Wll i run a Core 2 Quad Q8400 + GTX 560 on a Cooler Master GX550 PSU. Zilch problems. It's rated for 42A on the 12V.

    Anyway, max power consumption i've seen on it with 80%+ CPU and 98% GPU load is 260W on the wall (measured using my APC UPS).

    The 3570k has a TDP of 77W and the 560 Ti has a TDP of 170W.
    The Q8400 has a TDP of 95W and the 560 has a TDP of 150W.

    So yeah you'll be fine with a 550W. In fact, you could also use Seasonic's S12II-520 or S12II-620 models, among others.

    P.S.That CX500 suffers a drop in efficiency if the ambient temperature is over 30*C, so i guess only get that if you have an intake for the PSU fan.

    EDIT: I MEANT PSU FAN
  15. ahh what is a good PSU then if I don't have any additional fans? All I'll have is the motherboard, CPU, GPU (and whatever type of fans come with them). Motherboard will probably will be the GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, CPU i5-3570k, GPU GTX 560 ti.
  16. jcho7913 said:
    Corsair CX 500 sounds great for me for the PSU part (cheap :)), thanks !
    Now the motherboard and GPU ..


    Antec VP550 , lower price ( $65 ), higher 12v output ( 45a )
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_226&products_id=18877

    3570K ( $234 )
    http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_346_1184&products_id=20138

    Z77 MB ( $115 )
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=19864

    HD7850 ($219 )
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1373&products_id=20829

    Need memory ?

    Going to have to increase budget or lower expectations
  17. Haha I won't be needing memory and all, thanks for your help :) I think I may increase my budget a little and get a gtx 560 ti, which I'm guessing is better than the 7850?
  18. jcho7913 said:
    Haha I won't be needing memory and all, thanks for your help :) I think I may increase my budget a little and get a gtx 560 ti, which I'm guessing is better than the 7850?

    No
  19. The 7850 is better than the 560ti, and if you are not going to overclock I would advise just getting the i5-3450 and save yourself some money :)
  20. I meant PSU fan not CPU fan sorry my bad!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx Overclocking Intel i5 Components