Sign in with
Your question

Need help/advice with upgrade from onboard graphics to GPU!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2012 3:13:56 PM

Hey, I recently got the Nvidia GTX 560(non-Ti) as an upgrade from the internal Intel HD 3000 graphics of the Core i5-2500K that I have been using. I'm still going to use the i5-2500K that I have; just want to upgrade the graphics. I am going to install it soon, but I am not sure how to correctly do so, so that I will actually receive signal from it when I plug in the DVI into it and my monitor..
Before, all I had to do(and could do) is plug the DVI into the motherboard and it automatically adjusted to the HD 3000's graphics(with the install of Intel's recent drivers) and to my monitor. Should I uninstall the Intel driver? After(or before) I physically install the GPU to the motherboard, what do I need to do then to make sure that it will choose the GPU's graphics over the on-chip graphics?? Should I install Nvidia's GTX driver first? I think I just need some help and advice so that I know I am doing this (physical and software) installation correctly..
This is my first computer that I have built myself and for myself. I have done a few things with other computers as well, but I am a novice.
Any advice and help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Going to install the Nvidia GTX 560
Here are my PC build specs::

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.0GHz

Gigabyte GA -Z68X-UD3H-B3 1155 LGA Motherboard

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM 1600 RAM

OCZ ModXStream-Pro 500W 80+ PSU

Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM HardDrive

Samsung 22X Read/Write Optical Drive

OEM 64Bit Windows 7

Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX computer case
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 1:54:14 AM

Ok first you want to do is use a driver sweeper program and clean out all of the drivers. now did your new card come with a CD? if so go ahead and plug in your new card and boot then put in the disk.

Follow the directions and when it comes to a choice. You will have two choices the top one will state normal install recomemended and the other custom. Choose custom then you will be give a few choices.

The one you need is Clean install. That is it eveything should fire right up. If not you can look at this link. Toward the end he will tell you what to do with the drivers.

It is not a very long video about 5min long. I hope this at least helps you a little. And if you have any more problems just let us know we will be glad to help. Good luck to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPzjebT3N3U
Related resources
!