Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 16, 2012 4:12:03 PM

ok so I have

athlon II x4 640
msi k9n6pgm2-v2
inno3d 9800gt
and 4 gbs of ram
as for the PSU it came with the computer case and it is 550w

when i boot up my PC everything sounds alright except there was no screen display so what I did was put the plug on the onboard video then it works. What happened to my GPU? it was working the other day then bam it went nuts on me. Please help.

More about : display possibly

a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 4:15:54 PM

Did the 6pin power connector come loose?

Maybe the card died?
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 4:16:29 PM

check that your discreet graphics is still configured in the bios.
is the fan on the card running? power still plugged in? still seated in the slot?
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2012 4:23:49 PM

@geekapproved its a 9800gt 512mb and it doesnt have a 6-pin connector

@looniam yep everything is working, fan is spinning. The thing is I transferred the plug to the onboard video and all components are working. How could the settings be changed? I didnt touch anything from the bios. What could possibly gone wrong? I tried cleaning it too. There was one time it worked so i was uber happy then i put everything back into place mouse, keyboard, etc etc then tried restarting it then it dies off on me again. But that was just luck i guess. Weird.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:24:22 PM

if you have another pci slot, try it in the other slot and try the other dvi port.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:25:32 PM

ah check in the bios if the display settings is set to pci express and not onboard
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:27:18 PM

cool ill try it now. Please post more ideas. Im using it for heroes of newerth and I cant stand playing it with onboard graphics. Its killing meeeeh. XD

Edit tried it and its set to PCI E. Thanks for the help people. :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 4:36:36 PM

there is this species called gremlins that get inside you computer and cause havoc.

just kidding, sometimes things happen that no logical explanation is present to account for it.
looking at a image of the card on the inno3d it does have a 6 pin power connector.
http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9800gt....
in the upper right above the two silver w/purple capacitors sitting side by side.

if its not connected, that maybe the problem. lucky if you got away with not using it this long.

EDIT i just saw the "GREEN" edition . is that it w/o the 6 pin?
http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9800gt_...
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:46:33 PM

yep staring at the GPU now and im sure theres no 6-pin connector here lolz. Been using this since May last year and its working good the last few days.

EDIT could it be driver problems? but theres no display even POST. Thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 5:32:53 PM

blitz18 said:
@geekapproved its a 9800gt 512mb and it doesnt have a 6-pin connector

@looniam yep everything is working, fan is spinning. The thing is I transferred the plug to the onboard video and all components are working. How could the settings be changed? I didnt touch anything from the bios. What could possibly gone wrong? I tried cleaning it too. There was one time it worked so i was uber happy then i put everything back into place mouse, keyboard, etc etc then tried restarting it then it dies off on me again. But that was just luck i guess. Weird.

That's odd, I have an older machine with this 9800GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and it DOES require a 6pin connector.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 9:20:16 PM

blitz18 said:
yep staring at the GPU now and im sure theres no 6-pin connector here lolz. Been using this since May last year and its working good the last few days.

EDIT could it be driver problems? but theres no display even POST. Thanks.

the only other trouble shooting i can offer is to try another gfx card; if it doesn't work than the slot on your mobo is getting tired; since the version of your card draws all its power from the 75 watts supplied from the pci slot, the slot might be "giving up the ghost".
m
l
March 17, 2012 2:55:58 AM

my bro's computer is having the same problem its a gt 220 and i still can't figure out whats wrong
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 3:03:35 AM

you mean you put your brothers gt 220 in your computer?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 3:13:39 AM

You have no display because your system is not even running the POST. The usual culprit is the cheap PSU many of the older systems have.

Work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.
The following is an expansion of my troubleshooting tips in the breadboarding link in the "Cannot boot" thread.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 4:40:38 PM

He said the onboard video works, so obviously it's posting.
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:45:22 AM

Anonymous said:
you mean you put your brothers gt 220 in your computer?

i mean its my brothers computer and its a gt 220 graphics card thats in it and i was looking for people with similar problems on the forums to try and find a solution
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 7:22:15 AM

geekapproved said:
He said the onboard video works, so obviously it's posting.

Not with a discrete video card installed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 1:35:13 PM

jsc said:
Not with a discrete video card installed.

If that's the case, try a new power supply, get a quality unit with at LEAST a basic 80+ certification.
m
l